PDA

View Full Version : Own your own business?

LA_MERC_LaTech
April 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Does anyone in here own their own business? The reason I ask is I've been doing quite a bit of thinking of late and, partly due to my inability to actually find a computer related job in Western Montana and partly because I think I would do well at it, I am considering opening my own business once I move there.

There are a lot of things I don't know...that's the point of why I am asking...I would like to find someone that HAS done it and wouldn't mind answering a few questions concerning owning a business.

Thanks in advance.

LaTech

LA_MERC_goose
April 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Whacha looking at doing LT?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
April 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I am venturing more and more in this area. Getting ready to open up shop here in Florence for my current job in Charleston. I will basically be running it as my own business with a little help from the boss man. I guess I will be learning as I go.

LA_MERC_LaTech
April 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Probably only onsite repair and maintenance type stuff to start out. I figure: there is no money any more in building PCs...it's all in service.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
April 20th, 2006, 08:20 PM
So true so true LaTech. I will use ya when you get here. My clinic is a horrible mess.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 21st, 2006, 04:51 AM
I feel ya Tech, I've thought about building computers and doing fixes for people but as a small business I wouldn't be able to compete with the national retailers. Ofcourse there is a guy up the street that makes some decent money selling old HP's and Compacts for $600 or more to the nubs around my small town. He's ripping them off so bad it's not funny but they don't know any better so they keep going to him.

I know zilch about networking or else I'd be on that path instead, you should be able to do alright in that. Just depends on how many/any other companies in your area offer the same/similar services. If you are the only one you should be fine but if there competitors then you need to stand out, lower prices or better service or both. Something you may be able to do is get a contract with the company that for X dollars a year you will do whatever needs to be done. Needs to be thought out more but that will get you some garaunteed money either monthly or yearly to help pay your bills.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==