PDA

View Full Version : Which Processor

LA_MERC_Spark
January 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
AMD Athlon 64 FX60 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
neither. wait 6-8 weeks and get the new M2 socket from AMD. will be much easier to upgrade in the future. (just have to get new CPU to upgrade, instead of new cpu, ram and mobo)

the FX60 is the last CPU AMD will release for socket 939. it's a kick butt CPU and will serve you well, but it's the ceiling of that platform. next time you want a speed boost, it will cost you more.

the only diff between those 2 CPU's is 200mhz. there is such a high premium for the FX60 right now, that an almost $600 diff does not justify the 200mhz. just get a better heatsink/fan and overclock the X2 by 200mhz.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
rgr... i was hoping that the FX60 would drop a few $ in the next couple weeks. I may just drop the hammer on the X2. Already have most of the other parts including mobo ordered. Freaking video crads (2BFG GTX7800 512 oc's) are out of stock and so is RAM (corsair 3500PROLL). Thought about waiting for M2, but I decided that the rig I'm building will be fast enough for some time. Besides... I need a new rig bad... wife is killing me with work she needs to do at home.

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I really do not think waiting will get you anything Spark unless cost is the factor, the new processor will be out, but by time you would need to upgrade, then something else will be out, that old theory is not very valid anymore, you should get 2 years out of that beast.
fx 60 is better, but the x2 4800 is almost half the price. :confused:
just whatever means more to ya.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
James. Look at it this way. You laready have the 939 mobo. You will kick yourself for not getting the dual core FX 60. It is way better. Yes its only 200 mhz faster than the x2 4800+ but its dual core. I see the advantage being that you run teamspeak one core will handle that while the other is soley dedicated to your game. It is better and yes it is more money but for the time being its number one. Yes you can wait two months or so and get the next platform but you'll have to have a new mobo and all any way. Get the FX 60.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I think the x2 is dual core?

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
psstt... andy, both those processors are dual core. hence why I said the ONLY diff in them is 200mhz and $600.

don't be so sure about that mike. a difference of waiting a few weeks means that in 2-3 years, there will be lots of faster CPU's he can choose from to upgrade (doesn't have the be the latest on the market at the time, could be a 1 yr old CPU at that time would be a good bit faster the the 1st cpu on that socket) If he goes with 939, there is absolutely no upgrade path. That's also the last CPU and socket made to use DDR ram. It's not about saving money now, it's about getting a platform that will be easier to tweak/ugrade in the future.

If you already have the stuff ordered, oh well. you'll still be happy for quite a few years. just when you need to upgrade, it will cost you a lot more. If you needed something right away, might be a good idea to go cheap (put a $90 semperon on that board and go with cheap ram and the 6150 integrated graphics) then give that PC to the wife or kid.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM
well...the plan is to give the wife my current rig and build the beast for myself. I started looking at the specs a litle closer, and you are dead on.. they are the same... same L1 and L2 cache, same core (toledo), 90nm ect. ect. Clearly not worth the $600 bones. Just didnt think their would be a $600 adder simply because it is FX series.. Thought there had to be a difference. Oh yeah... Andy u b00n! lmao!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Crap. I keep forgetting it was the other way around. The FX chips were single core and the X2's were the duals until the FX 60 which is the only dual FX chip. Right? Lol. I remeber just a few months ago my machine was atop the world. Now its so slow I cry, lol. Looks like the boys are right. I would definately go with the X2 4800+ if you've already gone the 939 route. Berk makes a good point about the M2 setup but can you wait another one two months with what you have. On a plus note let me know if you do as I will buy your X2 or FX chip when you decide to upgrade. Who am I kidding I'll probably be an M2 man before long.

P.S. Not to self. Look up specs before opening mouth. You've done to many drugs to have good retention. lol.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Cocain...Is a powerful drug.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Im rick james biotch!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Lol, I love that skit. "I'm RicK James I don't do drugs, of course I did drugs" "Cocain is a powerful drug", LMFAO. Ohhh, season 3, where are you.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==