PDA

View Full Version : Israeli F15 lands with 1 wing

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Holy Crap

A simulated dogfight training took place between two F-15D's and four A-4N Skyhawks over the skies of the Negev, Israel..."At some point I collided with one of the Skyhawks, at first I didn't realize it. I felt a big strike, and I thought we passed through the jet stream of one of the other aircraft. Before I could react, I saw the big fireball created by the explosion of the Skyhawk. The radio started to deliver calls saying that the Skyhawk pilot has ejected, and I understood that the fireball was the Skyhawk that exploded, and the pilot was ejected automatically.There was a tremendous fuel stream going out of my wing, and I understood it was badly damaged. The aircraft flew without control in a strange spiral. I reconnected the electric control to the control surfaces, and slowly gained control of the aircraft until I was straight and level again. It was clear to me that I had to eject. When I gained control I said: "Hey, wait, don't eject yet!" No warning light was on and the navigation computer worked as usual; (I just needed a warning light in my panel to indicate that I missed a wing...)." My instructor pilot ordered me to eject. The wing is a fuel tank, and the fuel indicator showed 0.000 so I assumed that the jet stream sucked all the fuel out of the other tanks. However, I remembered that the valves operate only in one direction, so that I might have enough fuel to get to the nearest airfield and land. I worked like a machine, I wasn't scared and didn't worry. All I knew was as long as the sucker flies, I'm gonna stay inside. I started to decrease the airspeed, but at that point one wing was not enough So I went into a spin down and to the right. A second before I decided to eject, I pushed the throttle and lit the afterburner. I gained speed and thus got control of the aircraft again. Next thing I did was lower the arresting hook. A few seconds later I touched the runway at 260 knots, about twice the recommended speed, and called the tower to erect the emergency recovery net. The hook was torn away from the fuselage because of the high speed, but I managed to stop 10 meters before the net. I turned back to shake the hand of my instructor, who had urged me to eject, and then I saw it for the first time - no wing!"

LA_MERC_goose
January 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
One word - DAMN!

LA_MERC_Temp
January 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
biggs could have landed it, haha.

Daedelus
January 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
WOW i didnt think that was possible it was either very good training or alot of luck

Wyrm_f00d
January 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
One word - DAMN!

DITTO!!!

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM
wow, that is sweet.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
OMFG!!!! That is AWESOME!

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
And didn't they say that the F-15 was outdated on the day it was rolled out? That's what led to the fast development of the F-22

LA_MERC_Yankee
January 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'm sure Spark could have landed that bad boy too.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
January 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM
One word - DAMN!

Me Double Ditto that mention!

LA_MERC_Spark
January 11th, 2006, 02:19 PM
There's a cocpit video of two FA-18's involved in a similar accident. Both planes landed with damage. One had 1/2 the wing and 1verticle stab missing. Pretty lucky guy.

Biggs
January 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
sweet...made in america........... mfer's

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
WOW!

JUNKY
January 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM
And didn't they say that the F-15 was outdated on the day it was rolled out? That's what led to the fast development of the F-22

The F-15 first flew in 1972 - 30+ years of military service is probably more than is expected out of many military airframes.

Now - take the B-52 - since the first one few in 1955. Many of the more current G and H designations of the plane were older airframes that were reworked. There have been stories about sons of early B-52 Pilots going on to become B-52 pilots themselves, and in some cases, flying the same airframes. Even more interesting is that at 50 years old currently - the BUFF is still extremely capable of doing the mission we need a long range bomber to do, and is scheduled to stay in active service until around 2040 - that would make it 85 years of active service for the same basic airframe.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
January 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
There is some knowledge in the trunk also. Hey Pronny-Spark can you get the link to the footage?

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 13th, 2006, 04:58 AM
The BUFF! Happens to be one of my 2 fav planes (WWII Corsair is the other one...sexy thing there)

JUNKY
January 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Aviation has always been in my blood for some reason. About 2 years ago I got into RC planes ina big way, cause financially I can't swing a Private license yet.

Since then I've spent several grand on stuff, have a dozen planes in my hangar right now- probably more $$$ than I really want to count up - would have probably been cheaper to get the pilot's license instead

Sometime this week I should have almost all of my planes in flying condition - I'll try to get a group shot and post it on here.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
junky has an air force with which he can take out the oompa loompas! lol

JUNKY
January 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
If I'm gona try that Dirge - then I'll have to use this beast:

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/B_52_d.jpg

JUNKY
January 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM
no - it's not mine - that would probably be enough $$$ in that to buy my own full scale Cessna 152. Each of the turbines is a slick $3500 by itself.

Even sicker that the plane took a tun for the worse - http://www.adrenalnjunky.com/media/buff.wmv

Slayer
January 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome.

So...can anyone explain how that is possible? Maybe we really don't need two wings ;)

JUNKY
January 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
The F-15 not only flies on it's wing, but the fuselage of the plane is designed to act as a lifting body as well. Most Modern fighter planes are designed that way. That's how they can have shorter wingspans that make the planes more agile.

In this case the fuselage and the other wing were still generating enough lift to keep the plane in the air at speed. If he had slowed down too much it would have fallen out of the sky. That's why he said he needed to land it at twice the normal speed. Instead of the normal method of flying the plane slowly allowing to to descend to the ground - he kept the speed up and basically flew it onto the runway, then slowed down.

Biggs
January 14th, 2006, 11:48 PM
gessh, u guys act thats such a tough thing to do...i do it all the time in bf2...lol

that truly is nuts though...and the mdel b52 is unbelievable...that thing is sweet, although i would really like to see a model a-10 doing some straffing runs on Barbi's pink corvette....now that would be sweet.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==