PDA

View Full Version : Cool story from an avaiation message board

LA_MERC_Onji
January 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cool story from an avaiation message board

My Son is listening to the exchange between me and the controller and wants to chime in on the conversion. I said to my son, “Just hang on; I will give you a chance”. I never should have said that because now he is all excited to talk on the radio. As I start to turn inbound on the turn, the Approach control said “Contact tower when established on the localizer”. So I told my young Padawan Learner “OK, when this needle gets here on the dial, push the radio button and tell the tower that 93 Romeo is inbound on the localizer”.

Now imagine this, I am giving basic instrument instruction to a 9 year old, I cannot get adults to say this during training. So before I can give him something simpler to say he keys the mike and says

“REBEL BASE, THIS IS RED 5. WE ARE STARTING OUR ATTACK RUN ON THE DEATH STAR”.

Good God.

Now this post 9/11 and before I can key my mike and say anything, the tower jumps on and says “RED 5, YOUR CLEARED FOR THE APPROACH TO THE DEATH STAR. REPORTS HITS AWAY”

Now I am waiting for the tower to add “And tell your dad to call this number” But I hear nothing else. So we continue the approach. Now my son is in heaven. This is real life stuff to him and he is doing everything I tell him to do as far as tracking the needle. As we approach the outer marker inbound, the light starts to flash and there is that tone again. “Dad, the Death Star has a lock on us”. Yes Son, you keep on the approach, I will worry about the guns.

Everything is going great and now we are approaching the middle marker. My son has noticed the GPS has a red line with an airplane on it and it ends at the Death Star. So he asks me “IS THAT A TARGETING COMPUTER DAD?” Well of course it is, and it shows us where we are to the target. So now he hears Obewan tell him to USE THE FORCE SCOTT and he turns the GPS OFF. Tells me he is OK and does not need the targeting computer because he is using the FORCE.

Now the middle marker light flashes and the tone comes on. I apply full power and the airplane,,,X-Wing,,, Starts a climb. I start the turn to the missed approach path when my son keys the mike and says “HITS AWAY”. The tower answers back with “GOOD JOB RED 5, CONTACT REBEL APPROACH ON 126.1”

We go back to Mojave SPACEPORT, and I decide that the X-Wing needs a bath. So out comes all the cleaning stuff and we spend the rest of the day washing and waxing the turbo jets and laser pods.

So you see. This is why I own my own aircraft. You cannot beat this kind of quality time with your kids. And there is no way you can put a price on that.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
That's freakin awesome...

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM
lmao....good story!

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM
lmao I can't believe he didn't request a fly-by of the tower!

LA_MERC_Drax
January 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM
9 years of age may be a bit young to pull out Top Gun lines...But thats hilarious that he put together some starwars lines...

LA_MERC_Temp
January 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM
man, that brought a tear to my eye, haha.

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
the pitaful thing is this...that kid got spoonfed star wars from birth....he probably had no chance 'not' to like the movies....kinda like my kids !!! lol

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I think Triump would love this story...a baby NERD!!!
:p:

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==