PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Aluminum

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 20th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Yep, you heard me. They have now developed transparent aluminum. Does anyone remeber how Captain Kirk saved the Whales in Star Trek IV. Scotty gave away the secret to transparent aluminum. Well I guess Scotty beamed down recently becuase the government now has it. Being a design Engineer I have to read trade magazines and low and behold I come across an article showing off tranparent aluminum and its use as tranparent armour in military vehicles. Imagine jet fighter cockpit windshields that can withstand multiple .30 calibur armor piercing rounds. That's right. This transparent aluminum can withstand multiple rounds of .30 calibur armor piercing rounds. Not that expensive either at 10-15 dollars per square inch. Well Ok thats expensive for you and me but very impressive to me. ALUMINUM YOU CAN SEE THROUGH, CLEARLY! WOW! This new material is made of a piece of ALONtm, a middle section of glass, and a polymer backing. Each layer visibly thinner than the additional layers. Virtually scratch resistant. The army currently has test vehicles with this material already in use. Some Humvee's, some A-10 Thunderbolts and more.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM
dat's pretty cool. Now you can SEE how much beer you have left in your can!

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
LMAO Dirge.

That is sweet, now we can save all the whales.../in cartman voice/ "damn hippies!!!"

:p:

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Hell, now I can see outta my house. :doh

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 20th, 2005, 01:49 PM
that's pretty sweet! what magazine did you read that out of Andy?

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Must of been Playboy?!?!

yeah Nooch will REALLY scare his neighbors now!!!

LA_MERC_Onji
December 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
This post reminds me of that one way bullet proof glass that came out a few months back:
http://www.labock.com/english/bpg_oneway.htm

http://www.labock.com/images/1wayglass.jpg

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Any pics of the stuff? Sounds awesome, though!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 20th, 2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.rense.com/general20/transparentalum.htm

Wyrm_f00d
December 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM
wow.. it doesn't look as if it would be very strong... how malleable is the stuff???

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
well, from initial reading....it appears that it is no more malleable than traditional armour. It's just 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the thickness. I assume it can be shaped while hot or by molding during construction.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131

"The new armor combines the transparent ALONtm piece as a strike plate, a middle section of glass and a polymer backing. Each layer is visibly thinner than the traditional layers."

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 20th, 2005, 11:55 PM
How about the cost of human life alone. If this stuff really is as good as it sounds, I think alot less casualties is a good measuring tool. We will always spend billions for Armed Services every year. Don't we have some third worlds that need an economy, why not make it transparent ALONtm?

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 21st, 2005, 05:57 AM
Kegs made of this stuff... the possibilities are endless

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 21st, 2005, 06:27 AM
Dirge...that would NOT be cool....the price of kegs would be 3 fold unless they find a way to manufacture this stuff cheaper than 15 bucks/sq inch. I don't see much use this stuff (other than armor) until they find the right amount of 'cowbell' for the cost fever.

SweetGirL
December 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM
Someone say "cowbell"??!!! I gotta fever. I need more cowbell, baby!!! :madcow:

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
You've always been mad sam. It's just now your reallizing it.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM
Sabre, you're just being short sighted. We're talking WOW factor. And have you heard of "scientific research grant"? All we do is set up a study of the effect of natural carbonation and yeast on the crystalline structure of clear aluminum. Is there the potential for a *gasp* beer bomb out there that would put our troops in danger? We must find the truth!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM
lol, I guess if you throw enough 'edumacated' words in there...we might be able to convince our intellectually superior polititians to grant something like that....it's worth a shot! I've never volunteered for a govermental study before...but I may be able donate my time to this great cause!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==