PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be a Cajun If...

LA_MERC_Drifter
December 17th, 2005, 11:16 PM
..you sit down to eat boiled crawfish and your host says "don't eat the dead ones" and you know what he means.

..you keep newspapers not for recycling but for tablecloths at crawfish boils.

..you are not alarmed at finding plastic dolls in your pastry.

..you bring your Community Coffee and coffee maker with you when you travel.

..every so often, you have waterfront property.

..when tailgating, you holler "Tiger Bait" at the other team's fans as they pass by.

..you don't worry when you see ships riding higher in the river than the top of your house.

..when you're in BR, you know the difference between the old bridge & the new bridge.

..you offer somebody a "coke" and then ask them what kind: Coke, orange, rootbeer, etc.

..you were in high school before you realized that Catholic and Public were not the two major religions.

..you think there are eight seasons: duck, rabbit, deer, squirrel, football, basketball, baseball, and festival and that 7 out of the 8 are during the hot spell".

..you plan your wedding around hunting season & LSU football.

..you pass up a trip abroad to go to the Crawfish Festival in Breaux
Bridge.

..you take a bite of 5-alarm Texas chili and reach for the Tabasco.

..you gave up Tabasco for lent.

..you know the difference between Zatarains, Zeringue, and Zydeco.

..you know that the best doughnuts are square and have no holes.

..you put "Tony's" on everything, including popcorn.

..your last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

..no matter where else you go in the world, you are always disappointed in the food.

..you understand it when someone describes their favorite color as LSU Purple.

..you normally refer to "that shade of yellow" as LSU Gold.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 17th, 2005, 11:20 PM
two questions - what are "community coffee" and "tony's".

I'm thinking "Tony's" may be a hot sauce we don't have around here - like we have Texas Pete, and I think it's a regional thing because everybody outside of NC, and SC I've asked about it has never heard of it.

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM
community coffee is just a new orleans brand of coffee, and Tony's is a seasoning mix...that 90% of our recipes add, or a homeade variety of...just a bunsh of spices all mixed together...good stuff, even though Emeril, Frank Davis, and many other local chefs have created their own mix most local will say "add Tony's"
http://www.tonychachere.com/store/

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Those are the things I miss, actually...Tony's can be bought in the store here...but it's not the same. My sister sent me a care package a while back with some Habanero Tobasco...that stuff is awesome!

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 18th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Tony's is old and busted... may I suggest Slap Ya Momma. It's made in Ville Platte and it is not as salty as Tony's.
http://www.slapyamama.com/

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Right...tony's is just the name most call it by, but there are many good products, I really like the Frank Davis line.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
December 18th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Tony's is old and busted... may I suggest Slap Ya Momma. It's made in Ville Platte and it is not as salty as Tony's.
http://www.slapyamama.com/

Slap ya mama is good stuff. They do make some Tony's with less salt. Another good seasoning is T-Boys

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
December 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Tony's is the shizz, I love creole seasoning. We have Texas Pete in my parts too.

I can't do the Habanaro stuff but I like a little hotness. I add tabasco and/or Old Bay seasoning to most of the stuff I cook.

Biggs
December 19th, 2005, 12:56 AM
bah..i do all that...

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Well, call me a Cajun. I definitely carry my Tony's, Tabasco, and Comunity with me on trips. And you can easily see the ships taller than Yankee's house when standing in his front yard. hehe

But I thought the four season were Shrimp, Crab, crawfish, & Oyster?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 20th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I just wen't to the grocery store this afternoon and they had Tony's, so I bought a can for $0.99 (on sale from $1.79.

I'm not eating anything special tonight, just fried chicken tenders and tater tots, so I'm gonna substitue this stuff for salt...is that how y'all usually do it?

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Just use it like you would salt and you should be fine.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
dude - this stuff is the bomb! I can't believe I'd never heard of it/tried it before!

It will probably replace Goya Adobo for me!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Goya AwhatO? My family is from the Temple,Waco, Austin area and Tony's is the bomb. My Grandfather made his own though that is truly the shibizzle! It rocks, and as far as chili stuff goes, Pueblo, CO has some of the best fire-roasted Green Pueblo Chiles around. It is fabulous in lots of stuff.
www.mirasolchile.com
Goose should get himself some if he has not tried it. I will give sLingy a jar and let him inform ya'll if he likes it. I will also try and round up my Grandfathers recipe for his shake seasoning so someone can try it also. I would welcome any recipes from down there to try if ya'll wouldn't mind.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 21st, 2005, 05:56 AM
lol I would hope Pueblo had the best Pueblo chiles around! Otherwise it's just an outright lie!

Yeah, TOny's is pretty tasty. Slap yo mama is good too, but be careful as it is a little hotter.

One thing to try with Tony's---> Andy's Tailgating Yardbird

Take one whole fryer, coat inside and out with oil of some sort (I like Olive) Then completely cover the bird with TOny's. I mean put it on until the bird is orange. Throw it in the oven until done. w00tness

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 21st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Take one whole fryer, coat inside and out with oil of some sort (I like Olive) Then completely cover the bird with TOny's. I mean put it on until the bird is orange. Throw it in the oven until done. w00tness

hmmmm....very interesting indeed.

That reminds me of a couple of summers ago, a couple of Brazilian guys were here for a couple of months on a project. The guy cooks ALL his meat on a barbeque (nothing wrong with that) but he coats the meat in rock salt....at first I said...PUKE!!!!!.....but I tried it and it was pretty good.

I may try that Tony's 'wrap'.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 21st, 2005, 07:23 AM
All. Robby is right. My Cajun Yard Bird is AWESOME. Like he said just take a thawed yard bird and coat generously with olive oil. Then shake tony's all over the chicken until it is literally covered in the orange stuff. Then bake. VERY VERY VERY Good. I also like it on the grill too.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==