PDA

View Full Version : Display Question

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM
My IT guy at work wants to install a 32" LCD screen on the wall so that all the drafters can use it to display 3D modle displays. He wants all the design Engineers to be able to display their monitor on this LCD. The point being we currently use dry erase boards on the wall to discuss design issues. We are upgrading our professional look by putting a Sony FWD-32LX1/B active matrix LCD flat panel display on the wall. Do any of you know a good way to hook it up to allow all the design engineers the ability to access the monitor and display their workstations. Thanks.

LA_MERC_goose
December 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM
One really big source selecter switch and a lot of video cables. :D

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
Wow I am sure their is a way, but that is alot of inputs, from a "far" distance.
It will probably need some profesional to handmake some long cables to this display.

Should be easy on the engineers end as all new computer graphic cards have dual outputs. There must be something on the web where you caould hook up all the inputs and then switch to which one you want to see...I see Andy surfing the forums on the big screen when someone turns on the moniter to discuss with the boss...lol

LA_MERC_Temp
December 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
we had a setup in one of my instructional technology classes i took in grad school that had about 20 or so computers all hooked into the teachers. the teacher was able to see what you see by selecting your computer. the teacher was also able to display their pc on your monitor so that we "HAD" to watch the powerpoints and not play on the internet. i wanted to unhook mine, but the system was pretty complex.

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
A better way to go would be to have a designated workstation with the 3-D software that had access to the file server. Seems like an easier and less expensive approach to me....(although workstations are not cheap, my workstation cost the company over 6 g's).

Biggs
December 1st, 2005, 08:23 AM
i want a workstation

LA_MERC_Spark
December 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM
tight VNC would work i should think. Hook a comp up to the fancy LCD.... install VNC viewer and server to it then Install VNC server to all the clients and you can select them by ip address. I use it so I don't have to run all over the place fixing pebcak's... Or.... better yet...why can't you save the files to a network drive in a drawings folder for each job and then use the comp hooked to the LCD to view them. We have a jobs folder on the server. All the engineers have a login script that maps several different network drives when they log in. One of them is J: drive.. aka the jobs folder on the server. All drawings, emails, and data for each job are in sub folders. When ever there's a conference the people working on the project can view all the drawings ect. in the conference room wich has a projector. All they have to do is grab the drawing off the network and B00m!!!! productivity!!! All this is assUme ing you folks have a network. lol!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM
I need a workstation.

LA_MERC_Drax
December 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM
have something very similar to that at work temp, its called netops. You can actually take control of another computer if they are set up right. Used it a few times in class to show somethings off, and ofcourse to goof around and lock someone elses keyboard and mouse.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah my first suggestion was VNC. But they don't want to have to have a designated workstation for the disply. Like Sabre said our worksations here run about 16,000 dollars. The video card alone is around 4500 dollars. The rules out VNC or Netops. Keep the ideas coming guys.

SnAkEbItE
December 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM
Well I think VNC would work just fine, all your doing is takeing over another PC or workstaion, that workstation would actully be doing all the work your just remotely controlling it. You could just a cheap PC to do that and just have it hooked up to the display. All it would really need is a decent video card with svideo out so that you would get the best display possible on the LCD.

LA_MERC_Onji
December 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM
Well I think VNC would work just fine, all your doing is takeing over another PC or workstaion, that workstation would actully be doing all the work your just remotely controlling it. You could just a cheap PC to do that and just have it hooked up to the display. All it would really need is a decent video card with svideo out so that you would get the best display possible on the LCD.

This is what i was thinking as well, but I'm researching other methods now...

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
We use LanSchool here for the same purpose that Temp was talking about...pretty cool prog, really.

I would look into VNC, as previously stated, though, as LanSchool my be out of the budgeted amount.

LA_MERC_Onji
December 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
found something. and its a relatively inexpensive option, except for the 32" lcd monitor :)

It requires putting wireless nic's in each workstation, then hooking this up to the monitor:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/wijet.asp

then everyone can display THEIR desktop on the big monitor wirelessly

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Darren, now that looks like what we're after. I'm running this by the IT guy right now and he thinks this is exactly what he needs. Thanks for the quick Tech Support. You still Da Man.

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
remember the Onji master works for $200/hr for his 1337 skliz...
got check?
:p:

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well, since I'm so far in debt to him now. I'm going ahead and filling chapter 13. Sorry Darren! No gots checkie pooh!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==