PDA

View Full Version : Joystick

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
November 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM
I'm thinking of getting a new joystick and here is what I've come up with so far. These are in my price range, I'll take any and all suggestions.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305313&pfp=BROWSE

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305939&pfp=BROWSE

LA_MERC_Sabre
November 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM
My joystick was free and it works on voice command (female voice only...it's stubborn).

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 07:14 AM
i have the logitech extreme 3d with twist handle....enough said ;)

LA_MERC_Drifter
November 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I have the Saitek one and it works great for me.

LA_MERC_Diesel
November 30th, 2005, 07:53 AM
i have the logitech extreme 3d with twist handle....enough said ;)

ditto

LA_MERC_BS
November 30th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Ex, I too have the Saitek one. I love it. Really improved my scores in the jets. Also, instead of paying $40.00 for it, you can get it at Walmart for $18.99. I dig the throtle control on it.

LA_MERC_goose
November 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Ex, I too have the Saitek one. I love it. Also, instead of paying $40.00 for it, you can get it at Walmart for $18.99. I dig the throtle control on it.

Man, I love my Saitek - I'm starting to figure out how to use it too. It'll be a while before I decide to take Biggs on head to head in a jet though.

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 09:18 AM
let me know if u guys needs some tips when flying. i got a couple silly moves that will get u out of trouble and a few moves that keep the enemy saying that guy hax.

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
oh and make sure the joy u get has one of those 8 directional toggle buttons, that will enable u to chose a specific view while in mid fight..with a touch of the thumb u can have the advantage in a dogfight and find ground targets with ease.

LA_MERC_goose
November 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I want to know how do you line up your guns and bombs with so much ease - I can't hit a moving ground target to save my life - moving air targets I end up shooting at and for whatever reason I end up ramming (not by plan though)

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 10:18 AM
goose,
when making bombing runs u need to take in the speed and direction (angle with the ground) that u are coming in at.

If you are on a bombing run and coming in from a high alt at a steep angle the bombs will keep a close pattern and strike the tagert close together.

if u are coming in at a low angle or sraight the bombs will spread out more and hit the ground very far from each other.

i find steep dives are the best when bombing becuase u can control the where the bombs hit better and the bombs will hit closer causing more damage.

and when bombing just lay on u target with guns from afar cause that wil tear them up

also it helps to pull up immediately after u drop the bombs and switch to rear view so u can see the impact. that is the best way to learn how to drop bombs, cause u can see the impact and bomb flight and determine there physics.

when attacking moving ground targets i like to approach them from the rear. by doing this u get a few more seconds on target and it makes it much easy to lead and hit the target. leading is crucial when droping bombs so u have to guess where ur tagert is going to be when u drop the bombs. so u arent actually aiming for the moving tank u are aiming for the spot the tank will be at when ur bombs hit.

boats are just easy. they turn slow and move slow. just lay into them with guns. coming down on them from high alt is often best. That aplies to aa and tow sites as well. just get some alt and come down on them hard. save ur flares for ur attack and launch the flares when u start shooting, this will enable u to fly straight on ur straffing run.

when a flag goes grey just fly over to it and spray the area of the flag with guns by twisting u handle(moveing rudder) so u guns shoot in a continiuos S pattern on the ground. remember that the guns are the best thing on the jet..they are friggen anti armor beasts.

helos are the hardest thing to shoot in the game. there are 2 ways to do it. 1 use missiles, that is best when they are taking off or somewhat stationary....2 just leave the hud on air-to-ground and lay into the helo with guns. it will take like 2 passes but its worth it.

jet vs jet.....the dogfights are really long, it may take u like 5 minutes to shot down a jet. so the best way to do it is to sneak up behind them and just use ur air-to-ground HUD and use guns. i use missiles by quickly switching between bombs and missiles so that the enemy doesnt know u are there....dont worry the missiles dont need to be locked on...they hit anyway with a good 1:3%...so quickley shoot 3 missiles and switch back to air-ground HUD and the guy doesnt even know ur there.

when u see the arty circles make sure u visit that area....use ur guns to straff the area and steal the commanders kills like a biotch.

LA_MERC_goose
November 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM
This is what I have:
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/st290.htm

I probably need to reset all of my buttons because I think I only have the guns and missiles set. I probably need to set one for switching to bombs and one for switching views like you've suggested. If I get a chance tonight, I'll try it. As for the S pattern - it'll take me several maps to get use to that - I try to avoid it - especially since I ususally crash if I'm not flying in a straight line.

i R lame

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I used the Force FEedback Sidewinder from Microsoft : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NIMB/102-3325271-8486519?v=glance&n=172282

It's very nice when flying jets (I've taken to liking jets lately over armor). for A2A, just follow them and don't go full throttle so you stay behind them. Anticipate the turn and use rudder when you can (tighter turning radius and such). A2G...I suck. I kill friendlies.

LA_MERC_Drax
November 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
ditto

X 2, i liked my forcefeed back pro, but my laptop doesn't have joystick port, so i had to upgrade to a usb one.

LA_MERC_Sabre
November 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM
are you guys using a joystick for all games or just BF2? will a joystick work well in CS: Source?

LA_MERC_Drifter
November 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM
I use mine for anything that flies

LA_MERC_Diesel
November 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
rgr that, for BF2 we do not even use the Joystick except for when I get in a jet...tank, apc, helo, or ground pound all are mouse/keyboard

LA_MERC_Andyconda
November 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Same here. I only use a joystick for planes. The rest (Helos, tanks, jeep, apc, etc) I use mouse keyboard combo. I'm also an inverted mouse person. How some of you people can fly without using inverted mouse is beyond me. Even worse are the ones who use a joystick where pulling back brings the nose up but then have thier mouse not inverted where if you pull back (towards you) on a mouse you don't look up. You people are WIERD!

LA_MERC_goose
November 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You people are WIERD!

I've been called worst but thanks anyway. lol ;)

Wyrm_f00d
November 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM
after bigggs' how-to, i 2 might have to go pick up a joy stick... sounds like a blast...

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
November 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys, looks like a toss up so it will likely be which one I can find in the store.

The joystick I have now made a good improvement to my flying, I can actually get off the carrier deck. But I mistakely thought all joysticks are created equal, which is why I'm looking at a new one. Biggs told me to get the twist handle one so I can use my guns better and hopefully that is the case. Only time will tell though.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
November 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah I use the keyboard and mouse(not inverted) for helicopters. Sometimes I don't even crash!

It's just like ground pounding, to look up you push your mouse up.

LA_MERC_goose
November 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
The twist handle is what screws me up sometimes because I forget to twist it the opposite way to straighten back out and I end up flying sideways across the map which totally screws up my view.

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
ur twist handle doesnt have a spring so its always on center and only changes angle when u move it?

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
November 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Biggs, what sensitivity do you have yaw and pitch set to? I have stayed away from jets for too long so it's time. Too many times have I spawned on the carrier to see the F35's sittin on deck but all the helo's gone!

Biggs
November 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM
i dunno, factory settings i guess.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==