PDA

View Full Version : Joystick commands

LA_MERC_goose
October 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Andy, Biggs, ... anyone who flies with a joy stick. I have aquired a joystick and tried to set my controls but I screwed them all up. I couldn't do much once I got in the air so I reset the controls for my keyboard and mouse. Would someone take a few minutes and school me on the flight controls.

Biggs
October 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
ok, go to the game controls and set them for airplane and helicopter serperatly.

make sure u get both the x and y axis for ur stick. if u got a twist handle set ur rudder too. if u have a trigger set as fire primary and a button for bombs which would be secondary. i have views also set on a toggle switch on the stick. if u got a throttle set that too.

just go through the game controls and change the ones that apply to ur jostick and buttons.

LA_MERC_goose
October 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I set them but I was way lame. Maybe I need a flight sim to get use to flying with the stick.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 24th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Just keep flying Goose. It took me a couple hours just to fly without crashing. Something to practice for sure is swooping over the airfields to rearm, your definately going to need that plus it helps you practice for bombing runs. I still suck pretty bad at bombing but I'm starting to actually get some kills. Biggs always talks about how great the guns on the planes are to either kill or maim your targets right before you bomb them. I can't hit crap with the guns so far but I'm going to keep on keepin on. As for dogfights I think you just have to understand which direction your flying the whole time, which I don't. So you can have a couple of tricks to get people off your tail and maybe even get on his. All I do is fly in a tight circle until the guy gets off my tail. To see if he left me alone I press "C" twice which gives you a view of your plane from the front, that way you can see stuff behind you. Biggs has said when he does bombing run he switches to that view to see if he hit his target. I've tried that and crashed on each attempt but is does make sense. To get your view back into the plane just hit "C" again 2 more times. There is also a flying thread somewhere in the BF2 forums, Andy's flight school or something like that. Lots of good info there and as always ask in game.

Biggs
October 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM
goose just set up a local game in mutilplayer and pick zatar wetlands 64 player. hope in a jet and just fly around for a while. try to hit house or building with the bombs and make straffing runs with the guns as well.

u will be the only one playing but it will give an good chance to just fly around.

x, when u fly with reverse camera just remember to fly the opposite way u would fly normally as u are looking backwards. and pull up. when i fly over a target i pull up and look in rearview...that way i see where my bombs hit and if there are any more tagets in the area.

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM
he makes it sound so easy!!!
freakin hacker!!!
:p:

LA_MERC_goose
October 24th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I got on a server last night that had only one person on it a tried flying for probably 30 minutes and my flight time was usually around 1 - 2 minutes. It all depended on which way I tried to turn after take off. I was having trouble getting used to the turns - I'd want to do a flat left turn but ended up turning left and banking left so I basically flew into something. Note to future pilots - barrel rolls into the side of the island are not good on the plane!

Biggs
October 24th, 2005, 11:01 AM
ok, how about u hop in a 2 seater with me and watch how i fly and ask some questions then just try it out after

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Like I said goose you just have to keep practicing at it because it will all be worth it in the end. When you see Biggs go 60 and 0 or 80 and 2 you realize that it's all worth the trouble of 50 or 60 deaths before you get your first kill. I still suck pretty bad but I'm still trying because I know once I get better I can put down some pwnage.

Biggs, remembering that everything is backwards is all well and good but when I can't see what's in front of me it's bad. I'm starting to get better at it though, just have to remember to toggle to the front view when I'm dropping bombs.

Biggs
October 24th, 2005, 06:36 PM
yeah i always pull up after dropping bombs and going into reverse view,,,just helps see the ground hit and helps ensure u dont hit a tree or soemthing

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM
But you also have your 1337 hax on, so you basically can't die.

Biggs
October 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
shhhh, keep that between us X.

LA_MERC_goose
October 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Just about got the jet flying down. I now have to work on my bombing, guns and rockets. Helos are going a lot smoother with the mouse and keyboard since I've started practicing - I still have a long way to go to get to Andyconda status though. :D

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==