PDA

View Full Version : Kuwait gets a big thumbs up from me

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Kuwaiti sheikh to help New Orleans

Add another far-flung spot that’s helping New Orleans. A ritzy shopping mall in Kuwait City will donate one-day’s worth of the mall’s proceeds to help the flood-ravaged city.

The owner of the mall, Sheikh Majed al-Sabah, said "We as a whole Kuwaiti nation will never, ever forget the time when the U.S. sent all their troops in 1991 to liberate my country. Many U.S. troops died for the sake of liberating my country and this is totally unforgettable."

Majed is not only the nephew of the ruling Kuwaiti emir, but he’s an accomplished retailer who’s been called “the sheikh of chic.” His glass tower waterfront shopping center called Villa Moda houses ultra-high end retail shops. A Travel + Leisure magazine article in 2002 called it a “see-through society playground” in which patrons “relax on white leather couches beneath the atrium's 65-foot-high ceiling (and) make calls on their platinum-and-sapphire Vertu cell phones (cost: $21,240).”

Although there’s no word on how much money could be raised through the one-day event, it could be considerable, given the money spent at the center. One report said the average customer spends $600 per trip, and makes three trips per week.

In an e-mail, Majed said he will turn the proceeds over to the U.S. Embassy, which will handle disbursement. He said he is striving to get American schools, companies and others involved in his effort.

“It’s my pleasure to be as supportive as I can to help the victims of New Orleans,” he wrote.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
September 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Woot....BIG woot.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Man, that's freakin awesome.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Sounds like those Kuwaities are no frenchies. That's great that not only do they appreciate what we did they try to repay the debt. They also get a two thumbs up from me.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
This is awesome. Stuff like this makes you feel good about what we are doing. The news is usually so negative of everything that people lose focus of the little things that do matter. My hat is off to Majed.

HENK
September 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM
actually the french have send a lot and even offered more to help for NO.
but i don't like em anyways.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 16th, 2005, 01:15 PM
the last I had seen , the French had offered a bunch of cots and mess kits. This while Bangladesh sent $1,000,000.00 Bangladesh. Viva la Frogs! pfffft

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==