PDA

View Full Version : opinion in the The Intellectual Activist (TIA)

SweetGirL
September 5th, 2005, 01:25 PM
anyone else read this?

An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of the Welfare State

by Robert Tracinski
Sep 02, 2005

It has taken four long days for state and federal officials to figure out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame them, because it has also taken me four long days to figure out what is going on there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if you think that we are confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just a natural disaster, the response for public officials is obvious: you bring in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation to evacuate refugees to temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop the flooding and rebuild the city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural disasters also have a familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people pulling together to survive; the hard work and dedication of doctors, nurses, and rescue workers; the steps being taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists--myself included--did not expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not happen over the past four days. It happened over the past four decades. Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be confusing. People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave in an emergency--indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in other emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have been saying that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it is not even what we expect from a Third World country.

When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion. They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in America. We are an enterprising people, used to relying on our own initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?

To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a description from a Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists, knives and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter the streets; and police and rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired on.

"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as National Guardsmen poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjackings and gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened Arkansas National Guard members were inside New Orleans with shoot-to-kill orders.

" 'These troops are...under my orders to restore order in the streets,' she said. 'They have M-16s, and they are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if necessary and I expect they will.' "

The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article shows National Guard troops, with rifles and armored vests, riding on an armored vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of squalid, listless people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly like a scene from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs using a natural disaster as an excuse for an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What causes unruly mobs to storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate them, causing the drivers to drive away, frightened for their lives? What causes people to attack the doctors trying to treat patients at the Super Dome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to help them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage last night on Fox News Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago, which is located in the South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television coverage was a whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the "crawl"--the informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on most news channels--gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of the residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and of the 300,000 or so who remained, a large number were from the city's public housing projects. Jack Wakeland then gave me an additional, crucial fact: early reports from CNN and Fox indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in the city's jails--so they just let many of them loose. There is no doubt a significant overlap between these two populations--that is, a large number of people in the jails used to live in the housing projects, and vice versa.

There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New Orleans when the deluge hit--but they were trapped alongside large numbers of people from two groups: criminals--and wards of the welfare state, people selected, over decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness. The welfare wards were a mass of sheep--on whom the incompetent administration of New Orleans unleashed a pack of wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the apparent incompetence of the city government, which failed to plan for a total evacuation of the city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary. But in a city corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is to ensure the flow of handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to political supporters--not to ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell. In fact, some are already actively distorting it, blaming President Bush, for example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans had drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable piece from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames the chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the opposite: the chaos was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. They don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

The welfare state--and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages--is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2, 2005

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 5th, 2005, 01:40 PM
VEry nice, it hits the problem almost on the head. The only problem I have with it is I have not heard anything about releasing prisoners. In fact, I saw pictures of prisoners in their pretty orange jumpsuits standing on the isolated, elevated interstate waiting for transport. Now I do believe the majority of the thugs bounce around the criminal justice system and were responsible for the problems. The overall point of exposing the unspoken problems of the welfare state was right on target. As a good friend of mine said (he is even, gasp, a Democrat) that those are a lost generation who may have to be reformed via a tragedy like this to have any hope for the future generations.

LA_MERC_Shadow
September 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Dirge some of the prisoners were released according to a guard I know that works in the OPP. Also that the guards weren't given food or water like the prisoners were. The guards weren't allow to shoot the prisoners if they escaped they were just to subdue them with nonleathal force if it was possible.

Biggs
September 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
i know 2 guys that work at hunt correctional facilty. they went down to NOLA a few days back and took the prisoners to hunt and angola. he told me the were told to "shot to stop escape" which he said is PC for "shoot to kill"

my buddie (the prison officer) said when they went to get the prisoners in NOLA they were taking fire. he said the prisoners were complaining about being uncomfortable and he told them "u got 2 choices, be uncomfortable or be shot"

he was also called into help with the riot at the rivercenter in Baton rouge. he told me they had to deal with a hostage situation becuase the "refugees" are forming or were already part of a gang. gangs name is the "rough riders" in the center the "refugees" took some hostages and the brpd quickly took action.

he said we wont see that on the news. the news will not show anything that these "refugess" are doing.

he said they were holding up people in downtown BR and stealing/highjacking cars.

all this from a cop. its true.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Excellent article and find...thanks for a good read

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
yeah that is a good read but these naacps are gonna have a fied day with it they are already screaming racism. they use any thing they can i get so tired of hearing it. jesse jacksons non english speakin ignmorant a ss was on tonight screamin about it.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Now if only the rest of the world would read it.
This article says what I felt, but did not know how to say, when I saw all those Idiots chanting on the street "WE WANT HELP"
They are HELPLESS, any resourceful american would have orginzed and found a way to help themselves.

Badger
September 6th, 2005, 05:00 AM
thunderous applause......that is amazingly correct. Good one Sweet.

LA_MERC_Sabre
September 6th, 2005, 06:28 AM
rgr that! I couldn't agree more....if you have nothing and care about nothing...this is what happens.

SweetGirL
September 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Sniper, I saw the same interview with Jesse Jackson and feel the same way. Of course, on the flip side of the coin, I feel there is some blame to be aimed towards "the man in charge" with this entire situation.

Guys, answer this for me: WHO was in charge? WHO should have moved quicker to get relief efforts to people? Is the mayor, governor, president, or FEMA to blame for this?

I don't know about you guys, but I can sleep better at night:WASHINGTON (AFP) - US senators will make the Hurricane Katrina disaster their first priority when they return to work this week after a month-long holiday, the Senate leader said. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LA_MERC_goose
September 6th, 2005, 07:50 AM
In my opion the governor is to blame. The governor has the power to call up the Guard and utilize them for whatever disaster relief effort needed.

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/administrative/nmac/strategy/NMAC_Apx_3.pdf

This document should help in the pointing of fingers.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 6th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Well, in my mind this shines some light on what we suspect:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/05/D8CEFEK00.html

Here's the meat of it:
"Blanco has refused to sign over control of the National Guard to the federal government and has turned to a Clinton administration official, former Federal Emergency Management Agency chief James Lee Witt, to help run relief efforts."

Also, I was watching a show that investigated the reason why the guard was delyaed and it all fell back to the governor not requesting it in time/being ready. The federal gov can not just send the troops in due to states rights issues layed out in the constitution. The state has to ask first, Blanco has failed miserably in that regard. I'll be surprised if there isn't an impeachment push after the dust settles from this.

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM
yeah the blame starts at the lower levels first mainly mayor govenor then fema. The pres is last he shouldnt have to get involed in something like this. thats why he said that enough was not being done. Someone needs to ban the govenor from the servers for lack of participation and not keeping up to date on the forums off with their heads

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I can sleep better at night:WASHINGTON (AFP) - US senators will make the Hurricane Katrina disaster their first priority when they return to work this week after a month-long holiday, the Senate leader said. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AND WE PAY THE PEOPLE DO WHAT!!!!????

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The governor never even signed off on a state of medical emergency so all these doctors that want to come volunteer, can't. They can not practice medicine in Louisiana unless its declared a state of medical emergency.

Who's fault it is, its the mainly the governments. Like the article said, most people think it but very few say it. Berk and I spoke about the people being evacuated and he brought up that they could go to another state and start a new life. They are without identity and anything to prove who they are. The thing is that they won't. The first thing they did was to pill up at the welfare office and claim who they were to be able to collect their checks. Reform welfare and give it to those who need it, not those who think they need it just because they are lazy mofo's.

Right now, the mayor has claimed that "if you don't get out of New Orleans now, we will no longer supply you with water and food". That should have been done with welfare a long time ago. If you don't get out and get a f'ing job, we will no longer give you a monthly check, foodstamps, or a medical card.

LA_MERC_Shadow
September 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
There was a black female senator on the other night that blamed the large number of people in the city was due to the timing of Katrina...at the end of the month which so happens to be when they would be getting their welfare checks. The didn't leave b/c they were worried about getting their next check. I guess they didn't think about the fact that if the city is not there or under water then you won't get your check.

And fault has to also lie with those people themselves, THEY need to take responsibility. You mean to tell me that over 300000 people didn't have any way to get out the city. The government does not have to spoonfeed these people everything.

LA_MERC_Sabre
September 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I agree with you shadow....but....some people could not get out on their own...some by no choice of thier own. Granted 90% of the people that stayed are staying for the wrong reasons but those other 10% need help deservedly so. You can't pick and choose who to rescue.

I'm tired of people blaming the Pres for this lack of planning....to me....this is just like the terror attacks....the pitaful planning was done well before Bush took office, however it is unfortunate that nothing was done to correct it. He had a few other things to take care of like the 'beloved' former pres Clintons' failed national agenda's.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I am not from there, but I agree with the majority of the arguments here. I believe that a person who takes advantage of another in a time of severe strife should be considered acting in treason. All of the hard working , help pay for America Americans are the ones out. They lost land, they lost rights, they lost family, and they lost life, liberty, the right of any pursuits of happiness. The business owners and citizens of Louisiana had to choose to stay and fight to keep what they earned, or move their families and loved ones to safety. They are the victims. The victims of Katrina are not the bottom feeding low-lifes that are raping, looting, plundering. Let them dodge the bullets of our army as they try and steal more of our morality away. We all need to come together as one country and help the victims, and damn the victimizers.
Okay I will get off the soap box.

There are two ways to exert one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.
Booker T. Washington

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I agree with you shadow....but....some people could not get out on their own...some by no choice of thier own. Granted 90% of the people that stayed are staying for the wrong reasons but those other 10% need help deservedly so. You can't pick and choose who to rescue.

Those 10% would have been resqued in 1-2 days max if they didn't have to bus out the other 90% and dodge gun fire. How often did they have to stop the evacuation process because of gun fire, rapes, murders and such. Who in the right mind is going to volunteer in those types of conditions.

Why didn't Mississippi and Alabama have these types of problems?

Its a simple fact that the working class has been paying for these 90% their whole life and we are not paying to evacuate them, house them, feed them, medicate them, and fully support them all over again.

I just got off of the phone with my brother. He's worked over 130 hours so far in Nola. He's seen mothers carrying around dead babies, bodies floating everywhere. He had mothers getting on busses and then asking the police/military to go find their kids. I'm not talking about teenagers, I'm talking about 1-4 years olds that they left on the sidewalks/benches so that they could get on the bus. No matter how bad it is, they still think the government and everyone around them as to do everything for them. They were pissing and shatting their pants because they did not want to lose their place in the line. The superdome is a just as bad inside as what you see on the streets. He said it will take them 6-8 months just to clean out the trash before they can start repairs.

He's headed home right now to spend 1 night with his family and to hold his daughter after what he has been through. He was using a 12oz bottle of water to clean himself off and didn't get immunized until the 3rd day he was there. He's going back tomorrow morning and I will try to talk more with him but you can tell by his voice that it was horrifying. He spoke to a reporter today that was just in Iraq and said that Nola was 100 times worse than anything he had seen in Iraq.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I hope you all make it through this time of darkness without any major wounds. There will always be an emotional scar from the gaping wound created by the venemous actions of the minority mixed with the salt of the powers in charge honest and whole-hearted sincerity. If I can help in any way, let me know either by email or through sLingbLade. Again, my prayers go out to all who are struggling to make a difference, and restore all of America's hope that what happened in LA may not happen to them.

P.S.
Screw Benson. The Saints have been in Louisiana as long as I care to remember and they need to stay there. Only cowards run when not all is lost.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Well have no doubt NOLA will survive. In fact, this may have helped to clean out some of the popoul;ace. I don't mean that as harsh as it seems.

On another note, Benson had a public statement today clarifying that he wants to play the Saints games in Baton Rouge to be as close to NOLA as possible. He also pledged to refund season tickets to those who wanted a refund.

Also, early reports of damage to the Sperdome are estimating $400 million. To me that just seems that we found a way to build a new stadium, insurance money. DOn't get me wrong, I loved the Superdome and have had several GREAT memories from there, but it now stands as a symbol of death, etc. Tear it down, build a new stadium, rebuild NOLA and let's get ready for Mardi Gras.

One other note, lol. For those who have neever been to NOLA, the city is great because of the people there. And I'm not talking about the ones you have seen on TV. I am talking about the ones who evacuated their families and the ones who stayed to help. Those people are from the same mold as those who rebuilt the city after every Yellow Fever epidemic in the 1800's as well as after the hurricanes that destroyed the city previously. Certainly, some landmarks may be forever altered, but rest assured taht new ones will take their place and NOLA will march on.

I'm off of my soapbox, lol.

LA_MERC_Sabre
September 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Toby, I didn't mean that those 90% shouldn't be shot and pi$$ed on, because I think they are leaches to our system and bringing this country (and New Orleans) down. I wouldn't go in there if I was getting shot at...tell your brother that he is a true hero for doing what he is doing and that we are all proud of his efforts!

SnAkEbItE
September 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Well have no doubt NOLA will survive. In fact, this may have helped to clean out some of the popoul;ace. I don't mean that as harsh as it seems.

I agree with Dirge on this one not to sound mean but, that's just a few less for us to have to support.

cd
September 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah the way I understand, the majority of those who have evacuated to Baton Rouge and Houston... are more than likely to remain in Baton Rouge and Houston.. good riddance imo.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==