PDA

View Full Version : Andyconda...

cd
August 31st, 2005, 05:39 PM
I need to know what roads are open down to Gulf Coast MS...

Usually I would drive down to Mobile, and hop on I-10 over to Gautier. I'm leaving friday so if you know(or anyone knows for that matter) Please post asap.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:42 PM
How far are you going into Mississippi. Parts of I-10 are not there any more. I've heard you can make it a good ways into Mississippi but depending on how far you may not be able to get there via I-10. I want to say I heard it was ok all the way up to Pascagoula. I'm calling around right now to see for sure and will post shortly ( I know some highway workers so give me a few minutes)

cd
August 31st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Aight, Im having to get off on the Gautier Vancleave exit, just past Pascagoula.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Ok, what I'm being told is that yesterday they closed I-10 all through Mississippi, but if You have residence and depending on where they would let you through as long as they had checked the Interstate. Problem is that priority is not on checking. They tell me that you may likely be told no go for passage into Mississippi from Alabama via I-10. They also said that Interstate 59 was closed from Meridian to Picayune and also from Jackson to Gulfport. They said it is best to try and call ahead to the state police and tell them your sitation before embarking on a trip down here. You may get turned back and right now this is not an area you want to be stranded in. Gas is scarce and violence is high. Pretty scary down here right now. Good Luck.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:54 PM
Also, I know that they had the Wallace tunnel (Thats the tunnel on I-10 through Mobile) is one lane until the pumps fully clean out the tunnel.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:55 PM
They did say that I-55 and I-20 are open but to use extreme caution and patience. That was their direct quote "EXTREME CAUTION AND PATIENCE"

cd
August 31st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Aight I appreciate it, I'll call State Police tomorrow. We're coming down with a load of supplies for family and friends, and bringing back some younger family members who dont need to be down there.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 06:07 PM
Good luck and let us know if you need anything else

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 31st, 2005, 08:08 PM
I-20 is clear I have made it clear sailing, from merridian MS to Oxford, AL...no problems, it willget congested as everyone heads back...but, I do not see an issue atm.

cd
August 31st, 2005, 09:03 PM
my biggest worry is getting down there, and being told to go home...

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 10:42 PM
Could happen. Try to call ahead. If they see you bringing supplies they will be more likely to let you through

cd
September 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM
I called the highway patrol in MS and in AL and this what I've been told.

Mississippi-

They said that the only roads closed were Highway 90, and 603. But you cannot get gas south of Hattiesburg.

Alabama- Suggested I call again a few hours before I leave, but they were not sure about I-10, pretty sure it's closed.

So like posted above, I-10 is most likely closed in between Mobile and MS state line(because it's open in MS).

So given this information, if someone could tell me the best route to go to get down to Gautier, I'd appreciate it.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
I had a freind come in from Covington Louisiana via I-10. I think the state police are lieing on purpose to try and minimize influx of non emergeny related personel. A state trooper lied to me last night about the availability of gas in the area (On purpose). This upsets me as they need to help rather than decieve becuase they think it helps in the over all picture. It will NOT. I understand trying to minimize non essetial personel but I was simply trying to find gas for someone from the raveged area. At any rate cd he said he was able to take I-10 with only one minor detour in Mississippi. I think you can get through but I will say thatHwy 90 has sections missing like I-10 in Lousiana but your main concern will be GAS. You have to have enough to get you there and back without stopping or you will more than likely get stranded. The gas situation is bad but it seems to be getting better, I'm seeing a lot of tanker trucks today.

cd
September 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Good stuff. I'm relieved on both things now, as we will be refilling every chance we get, and we will probably have 20-30 gallons in jugs with us. My concern now is looters, and violence. Contemplating coming strapped, but really dont know if that is a wise decision.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 1st, 2005, 03:00 PM
I heard on the news a little earlier that I-10 was blocked on the Louisiana/Mississippi state line by the Mississippi State Police.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==