PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy helping out.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I was curious to see if Best Buy was going to donate some $$$ to the relief efforts for the Gulf Coast, and here's what I found out. They are going to match donations up to $250,000.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FW: Hurricane Update
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:35:54 -0500
To: [email protected], [email protected]

Sent: Tue 8/30/2005 4:07 PM
To: Rowe, Jayson
Subject: Hurricane Update

Jayson, here's an update on the stores that were impacted by the Hurricane. I just thought that you may be interested.

BBY Responding to Stores Hit By Hurricane
Tuesday, August 30, 2005

UPDATED: Aug. 30, 2005

Ten Best Buy stores remain closed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which hit Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida.

Corporate and field leadership is monitoring the situation and standing-by with appropriate support. Please note: All nonessential corporate communications should be discontinued so that employees in the affected areas can focus on emergency relief work.

Company's Response
Our hearts are with those trying to recover from Katrina's devastation. Several stores closed in anticipation of the hurricane so employees could prepare themselves, their families and their homes for the storms. The safety of our employees comes first and foremost. We've received word from the majority of our affected employees, and so far all are safe and accounted for.

Closed Best Buy Stores
Several stores are still closed as they wait for electricity and phone service. In all, approximately 15 stores were affected by the hurricane in some way. Stores will open when the environment is safe. At this time, we have not been able to survey damage to stores.

Our stores in the heavily affected areas are focusing on attending to employee needs - from toilet paper to paychecks. Best Buy offers resources to employees facing catastrophes through the Schulze Family Fund (employees must apply). Best Buy is supporting the Red Cross.

Affected stores include:
Mobile, Ala.

* Store #678 - Spanish Fort

* Store #340 - Mobile

Hattiesburg, Miss.

* Store #661 - Hattiesburg

Jackson, Miss.

* Store #336 - Jackson

* Store #938 - Flowood

New Orleans/Lake Pontchartrain

* Store #380 - Slidell

* Store #572 - Vets (Metairie, La.)

* Store #373 - Westbank (Harvey, La.)

* Store #612 - Covington

Houma, La. (costal)

* Store #943 - Houma

Stores affected, but now open include:

* Store #495 - Baton Rouge (La.)

* Store #552 - West Kendall (Miami)

* Store #553 - Tropicaire (Miami)

* Store #556 - Cutler Ridge (Miami)

Best Buy Responds to Hurricane Katrina
Best Buy and the Best Buy Children's Foundation are working with the American Red Cross to coordinate a response to the devastating damage in the Gulf Coast created by Hurricane Katrina.

Best Buy will begin a nationwide relief effort by accepting donations at our cash registers in all Best Buy stores to benefit the Red Cross relief efforts. The Best Buy Children's Foundation will match customer and employee donations up to $250,000.

As always, with a natural disaster, our first concern is for the safety of our employees and their families. Nearly all employees have been accounted for and, we are in the process of trying to reach those have not been accounted for. An information call-in line has been set up for employees at 678-591-1370.

Several Best Buy stores are without power and water and remained closed. Employees directly affected by the hurricane are encouraged to seek the following Best Buy partnerships/assistance programs are available to you:

* United Way <http://unitedway.org/>

* Red Cross <http://www.redcross.org/>

* Employee Assistance Program - Call 1-800-227-8620 or visit www.bdaeap.com <http://www.bdaeap.com/> (password: bestbuyeap)

* Schulze Family Fund <http://tagzone.bestbuy.com/Benefits_HR_Policies_Jobs/SchulzeFamFund.asp> - contact [email protected]

The Company will continue to develop an assistance plan with the American Red Cross based on their needs. Read TagZone news or Retail Insider for additional updates. In the meantime, if you have questions about our relief efforts, please contact Stacy Hanley <mailto:[email protected]> or Jessica Sluss <mailto:[email protected]> with questions.

Hurricane Katrina Aftermath
Hurricane Katrina made landfall near Empire, Louisiana shortly after 7 a.m. (Eastern Time) Aug. 29 as a Category 4 storm with 140 mph sustained winds. It has since weakened and moved inland into the Ohio valley.

Search and rescue efforts continue today (Aug. 30). Mississippi and Louisiana officials insist that it's too dangerous for residents to return to their homes and urged evacuees and those stranded by flooding to stay put. State police and Department of Homeland Security personnel are blocking re-entry routes to all non-emergency workers and some violators have already been arrested. A shooting was reported in the West Bank area of New Orleans and some looting continues.

New Orleans floodwaters continued to rise today after a two block long section of the Lake Pontchartrain levee gave way. Approximately 80 percent of the city is flooded. During the storm a 50-inch water main was severed, cutting off some of the drinking water leading to advisories that residents should boil water.

In Mississippi, streets and homes were flooded as far as six miles inland. Waters had receded slightly in Biloxi, but downed trees and debris still litter the streets.

The Alabama National Guard has activated 450 troops in Mobile to carry out a dusk to dawn curfew after large sections of the city were submerged in water from Mobile Bay. Another 800 troops, were activated to assist in Mississippi.

Over 1.7 million homes and businesses in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida are still without electricity. Energy has over 1 million customers without power in Louisiana and Mississippi; Alabama Power has over 500,000 without power (Birmingham 182,000; Montgomery 8,530; Tuscaloosa 132,000; and Mobile 195,716); and Mississippi Power has only one transmission line still in service. Most cell towers and land line phones are out of service with no estimate for restoration.

FEMA is reporting some of the worst damage they've ever seen and is making preparations to house tens of thousands of victims for several months. The American Red Cross is launching it's largest relief operation in its history.

Stay tuned
The Company will continue to update this story on an as needed basis. Please check back for more updates.

Chad Huggins ("The Chad")

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 30th, 2005, 10:00 PM
My place of work, Meredith Corporation (Better Homes and Gardens) will match anything their employees donate. They normally donate new homes and labor for that kind of stuff too.

The devastation left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina is catastrophic. If you would like to donate to relief efforts, please keep in mind that The Meredith Corporation Foundation will match your gift of $25 or more. To print out a matching gift form, click the link below.

http://meredithathome.dsm.mdp.com/c-community/matching%20gifts%20program.pdf

For information about donating to the American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund, click the link below.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donatemail.html

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 30th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Who said Church and state were separate....

"In addition, Express Mail sold between Aug. 26 and Aug.29 to these ZIP Codes are ineligible for refunds due to Domestic Mail Classification Schedule section 182.51(h), which allows the Postal Service to deny refunds for Express Mail delayed by an “act of God.”

Interrupted Postal and Fed Ex Services

Due to Hurricane Katrina, the US Postal Service and Fed Ex have delayed deliveries to several southern states.

Please click the links below to find out what specific areas have been affected.

US POSTAL SERVICE

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/serviceupdates.htm?from=bannercommunications&page=katrina

FED EX

http://fedex.com/us/update2.html

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 30th, 2005, 10:11 PM
That's awesome Kripto - anyone else's workplace chipping in to help?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 30th, 2005, 10:13 PM
BTW, I'm also trying to organize an effort in our store, #826, Florence, SC to take up donations to either donate to the Salvation Army, United Way or Red Cross, with express concern that it go to the Gulf Coast region. I have to make some phone calls tomorrow. This, of course will be seperate from the efforts of Best Buy Corporate stated in the above email.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 04:58 AM
The help pouring in from around teh Nation is awe inspiring. It will take some time but it will be fixed. Thanks to everyone and their efforts. Jayson. How bad was the best buy in Spanish Fort Alabama hit. I live right near it. I was wondering if its open or what happened to it. I haven't had much time to drive around and access the damage. I'm busy fixing my own property and helping neigbors. The guy behind me had his roof damaged pretty bad.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 31st, 2005, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know what happens to bills during this kind of deal? If anyone could do some reseach, I would appreciate it. I don't know when I will receive mail, and I don't know what to do about making sure bills get paid... :(

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 31st, 2005, 06:30 AM
From the Red Cross:
Notify creditors as soon as possible about lost bills or difficulties in paying bills. Explain the situation and try to negotiate an agreement to reduce payments or spread them out over a longer period.

I'm sure they are going to be understanding. I mean, nothing like this has happened in 50 years and EVERYONE is effected.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Dirge, last year in FL after the hurricanes, all my creditors contacted me and stated that I didn't have to pay my bills for three months without late charges.

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
We are paying all of ours through online payments, I heard you could call them and ask for an extension. Mail service is out for probably 3 weeks minimum..no clue what to do...we are lucky BellSouth paid u this morning Rob...the Hibernia web site was down but the ph# was working when Beth checked this morning...wierd...

What would I do without this great group of guys...This is the best form of communication I have had for 5 days...lol

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 31st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Well it's tough being on this side too, There is nothing I can do to help... I do have the sudden urge to grab a bucket, go to one of your guy's houses, and start bailing though!

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Diesel, is Hibernia working now? debit card wise?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
September 1st, 2005, 04:29 PM
UPDATE:
BBY had decided to match up to $1,000,000 the donations of customers and employees. We have barcodes at each register in our store for folks to make donations to the Red Cross. So far I think we raised around $950 by the time I left today.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==