PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Hotel

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for moving this guys. Here is where we can coordinate our help and efforts.
Andyconda has room and board and lives close for support. Let me know what I can do to help.
Sabre is in the same boat just on the West side.
Al you got the west I'll take the east.

Please use this thread to ask, give and coordinate Katrina recovery. Lets not get too many threads and in too much dis array. Thanks.

I know as of 10-01-05 that Robby will need building supplies and help to rebuild his fence and do minor repair on his roof. (Lets hope that's all and that the Gretna Green stop the looters). I have agreed to bring the supplies and aid in this job. If anyone else needs similar assistance post here.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I think ima ride it out. I may send the wife and kids packing though. Anybody else leaving?

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Unless it makes a significant shift away, I'm looking to leave around 3-4 AM. Windows are boarded up, potential missles in yard collected, boat filled with water. I have only to pag my bags and it's off to either Patterson or Shreveport. :(

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 27th, 2005, 01:27 PM
g/l guys/gals don't be ignorant and get outta there!!!!

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
August 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure when I'm going to leave. I'm going to try my best to wait here until I hear from Dragon. As far as I know he is still on the rig. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet..

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
August 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I am stayin put. Going over to the Mother in Laws house. One thing that sucks is no high spped but at least I can take my pc and play BF2 single player.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Be safe peeps, and remeber, me casa su casa.

HENK
August 27th, 2005, 03:28 PM
hey get out now ,the causeway is still decent .only took us about 1 1/2 hours to pass !!!!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Henk is right, you definately want to be north of the lake when the storm hits.

LA_MERC_Nutria
August 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
We gonna shoot at her when she makes her way here. If that don't scare her away I will stand outside nekkid. That should do it.

LA_MERC_Temp
August 27th, 2005, 04:39 PM
if any of u guys on the coast need a place to stay, yall can head on up to hattiesburg and stay with me. i got plenty of room and plenty of internet connections and wireless if u need it, haha. i'm serious, just give me a holla.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 27th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Andy, if it keeps trucking West like they think it might, our get away path may change from Shreveport to Mobile. I will keep you posted.

HENK
August 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM
traffic update ,
1-90 right off the cuaseway is completly in still standing .the causeway probably ain't much better .

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Roger that Dirgey Wergey. I'll have cold black and tans awaiting your arrival. After that you can help me put up plywood, hehehehehehe.

P.S. Bring some Hurricane mix so we can practice for the MAGNUM next weekend.

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
August 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I'm waiting to leave tomorrow. I'm making my last mintue run through of the house and seeing what else I can fit into my SUV. I'm heading to Lucedale (George County). I live South of Hwy 90 so I'm gone come tomorrow afternoon. I hate these dang storms. Everyone be safe!!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
You too, be careful.

LA_MERC_BS
August 27th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Ima have my booty collecting the over time ... WOOHOO !!! COME ON BABY, COME TO PAPPA!!!! I need the power to be out till thursday night so I can work straight 24's. Get a few hours sleep and head to the lan.

It's a good thing I rent and not own a home, or I would probably be very nervious right now.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Well, since the track isn't cooperating, I am in the final throes of packing up and getting some power sleep before leaving around 4 Am to head out. Right now it looks like Shreveport is the destination. If the storm shifts West, we will head to Mobile.

Pray for us all, New Orleans is the worst place in the world for a major hurricane to possibly hit.

Dirge Radio... signing off.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 27th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Good luck Robby.

LA_MERC_Yankee
August 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
This isn't the best news from the Mayor:

Nagin considers mandatory evacuation order

10:20 PM CDT on Saturday, August 27, 2005

WWLTV.com

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said he may call for the first-ever mandatory evacuation in city history after talking with the head of the Hurricane Center who said a storm surge of 20-25 feet could be expected with major hurricane Katrina.

Nagin said he would consider ordering evacuations by Sunday morning and may employ buses and trains to help get people out of the city.

In an interview on Eyewitness News, Nagin said his Saturday night dinner was interrupted by an urgent call from Governor Kathleen Blanco who asked Nagin to call the Hurricane Center.

Nagin said the Hurricane Center Chief told the mayor that if it was possible at all, he should order an evacuation due to winds that could reach 145 miles per hour sustained and 170 mile per hour gusts.

Nagin said he would put his wife and family on a plane and he urged everyone to do anything they could to get out.

“All models say this storm will land right on top of New Orleans,” he said.

Nagin said he would call churches and urge them to have their congregations adopt seniors or someone who doesn’t have transportation and get them out.

“I don’t want to wake up one day and not have done all I could do with a catastrophe on top of us.”

Nagin said anyone trying to stay in a city hotel or hoping for an opening of the Superdome might want to think again.

According to Nagin, if 18 to 20 feet of water came into the city it could be six or seven weeks to restore power and the Superdome and hotels would grow uncomfortable.

My wife is already at the in-laws in Hammond, LA. And I'm off to the airport in the morning. My job requires me to be there. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'll be posting pictures and stuff from there throughout the storm. Sure is gonna suck if we can't be back in the city until 5 or 6 weeks afterwards. Hope everyone makes it safely to where they are headed and all of the water receeds quickly.

SPARK..... DO NOT STAY IN YOUR HOUSE. Come to the airport and we'll take care of you. We have emergency power and such and could probably feed you. Please don't hesitate to come and crash at the penthouse at the airport.

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
August 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I'm getting so scared!! My hubby is still off shore and will be off the rig soon *I hope anyway* They most likely won't let them go home till after the storm is over. I'm so deprest I want my hubby with me and our kids. I don't want to be away from him in a time like this. Blahh everyone take cover and be careful out there!!!

LA_MERC_BS
August 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Hey isn't New Orleans below sea level anyway? 18 to 20 foot sea surge would definatly screw up our lan if the power is going to be our for weeks.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Lets keep our fingers crossed. New Orleans has avoided so many for so long she must be blessed. Those of you in the area though, don't take chance. I lived in New Orleans through some bad ones. I also lived in Jacksonville and Pensacola through some bad ones. Hurricanes (Especially CAT 5) are no joke. They are in essence a tornado times 100, that's right, times 100 or better. A tornado is sometimes 30 to 40 FEET in diameter with winds in excess of 160 mph. This Hurricane is 30 to 40 miles in diameter with winds in excess of 160 mph. That means very bad. Nothing survives. It will destroy everything in its path. Get out. I hope everyone the best. Good luck and be safe.

LA_MERC_Drax
August 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I'll be riding it out here in Baton Rouge, im not sure if i have work monday or not. Yea, New orleans is below sea level, so when the water gets in, it has to be pumped out. I've seen the specs on that pumping system, and while it is a monster, it can't drain the city fast enough for a hurricane like this one.

LA_MERC_BS
August 28th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Thats no moon ....... Thats A Space Station !!!

Man you guys in LA better run like hell.

LA_MERC_Temp
August 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
or buy a big ass boat

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
LOL @ BS.

Well I just made it to Shreveport. Left Gretna at 3:45 AM. Normal travel time is 4.5 hours...

When I woke up at 3 AM, the storm had increased to 140 mph and I said "let's get the frack outta here." Now it's the strongest recorded hurricane in history?!?! 175 mph winds? SUSTAINED?!?!?!??! We need a miracle please.

Iccey
August 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Ill be here in baton rouge also its lookin bad if this things dosent change we may be haven a fishin trip on burbon street next weekend insted of a lan :( Good luck to all and DL i hope that Dragon gets back okay hun agian i wish u and all ur familys good luck and stay safe

Drax call my cell bro

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'm in houston peeps...leme know if your heading this way...I have a pullout couch :)

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 28th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Come to Maryland folks! The likelyhood of Katrina making it to me is really low and if it does they usually peter out to a tropical depression.

LA_MERC_Nutria
August 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Katrina has a bit of PMS.
http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz062

Biggs
August 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
yeah, i am in baton rouge but my family all came out here from NOLA. I had to go home the other morning to board up the house and help move stuff. so my house is now loaded with peeps. i got my family and some close friends staying on my floor.

i am gonna be on ts and possibly in game every couple of hours for a round or two so i might talk to yall on ts.

goodluck all and lets pray NOLA doesnt get it as the will tens of billions of dollars of damage there and no lan either. :{

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Wholy COW. Its 175 sustained winds and 906 mb pressure, which is basically the equavilent of an F3 Tornado. Not one or two but an F3 tornado. If it hits the big easy we will not only not have a LAN, but we won't have Bourbon Street anymore. NNNNNNoOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 28th, 2005, 01:11 PM
IT just was reported at 184 mph sustained and a pressure of 902 mb. :O

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I little bit of good news it just dropped to 165. Lets hope it keeps droping.

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Next update on the storm will be at 5pm local time.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
update just in. Storm track shifted slightly (1/2 degree) to the West. Still East of downtown NOLA, but still REAL CLOSE (especially to mine and Yankee's houses and Diesel and Sktz further North).

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Wholy cow. Look at the shear size of Katrina. It has now dropped to the 4th lowest pressure ever recorded for a Hurrican in the Atlantic Basin. Wow. Hurricane Charley last year was the second most costly Hurricane ever to hit the U.S. and Katrina is more than 4 times the size of Charley. Wow.

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
hopfully you guys get outta there safe. :/ looks like you guy going to need windmills...soon :(

HENK
August 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM
i am sitting this out at covington now ,we have everything boarded up ,and i hope we will be allright .
i am actually pretty scared .

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
That just tells me that you have your wits about you Henk. This is a bad storm and only time will show those who under estimate it. I went through Ivan and Dennis here within the last 9 months and we still haven't recovered in this area. It will get bad for quit some time after the hit. I'm in Mobile and teh sustained winds right now are 30+. The interstate is grid locked. NO movement. Public Transportation alerts are going off everywhere around here. I hope everyone gets somewhere safe. Watch out for tornandoes Henk. That far inland the surge is not your primary threat. Its the tornadoes that will be spawned by the system. Good luck.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM
ANyone who can get here by plane train boat or car is welcome to stay with us....

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Lol, By the time I got to a plane it would be between you and me. Also the interstate is dead. Complete grid lock right now. I'm holding tight. Belive me though. If I could, I'd be sitting right next to you saying Damn that's a big storm, want to go outside and throw the football around.

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
andy..How are you on the internet when your in the middle of the interstate?Good wireless internet you have.. lol Good luck though getting outta there. And henk....if you inland thast far and they say tornadoes I would head out because up here tornadoes are the worst and almost levels everything :/

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
That's one thing I love about where I live. I'm literally just a couple hundred yards off of I-10. I will be one of the first to get electricity back and since I'm only like 7000 feet from main DSL node it will take some effort to knock me off teh internet. I tested my bandwidth I get a 2885 downbload rate and 395 upload. Those Bellsouth boys know how to hook a brother up. Also you mentioned tornadoes. A tornadoe is usually no more than a 100 feet in diameter. This Hurricane eye is over 40 miles in diameter packing a class F3 tornado wall. This is basically just an enormous tornado. It is going to cause some catastrophic damage.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I'm seeing sustained winds of 35+ mph. Not much rain yet but it is looking gloomy outside. I just did a patrol of teh house and while checking all my strom boards I hear people in the sub division partying. That's fine but the house they are in is not boarded up and I see no cars. All I can say is if tehy get scared once flying debris rips through their un protected house they better not come knocking over here. I'll introduce them to my fancy Benelli Pump 12 guage. Well that's if Ginny doesn't get to them first. Just ask Spark, she's a mean one isn't she James.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Has anyone heard from Diesel, Spark, Shadow, or Yankee?

Hurricane affected people we need to track and keep updates:

Diesel- status unknown
Dirge- Holed up in Shreveport (300 miles NW of NOLA)
Andyconda- Holed up in Alabama ( 140 miles East of NOLA)
Spark- last report riding it out in Kenner (Western NOLA metro)
Yankee- working at NOLA airport, secure location
Shadow- last report working at hospital in NOLA metro
Skitz- holed up with parents, location unsure
Henk- holed up in Covington (40 miles North of New Orleans)
Nutria- Holed up in swamp West of NOLA
Bslap- watching TV, er working OT in Pascagoula, MS (110 miles East of NOLA)
Lawdog- assumed to be watching TV as well
Dragon/Lady- status unknown, last known to be in Pascagoula
Temp- Holed up in Hattiesburg (80? miles NE of NOLA)

If I'm missing anyone, please let me know. As we know anything, please update thread.

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
That's one thing I love about where I live. I'm literally just a couple hundred yards off of I-10. I will be one of the first to get electricity back and since I'm only like 7000 feet from main DSL node it will take some effort to knock me off teh internet. I tested my bandwidth I get a 2885 downbload rate and 395 upload. Those Bellsouth boys know how to hook a brother up. Also you mentioned tornadoes. A tornadoe is usually no more than a 100 feet in diameter. This Hurricane eye is over 40 miles in diameter packing a class F3 tornado wall. This is basically just an enormous tornado. It is going to cause some catastrophic damage. man you lucky andy :D you got internet on the road sw33t :D all we have here is mostly farming land and hunting grounds :/

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
could diesel be in the dome place?

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM
NO, Diesel lives North of New Orleans. I'm sure he is with his family and his in-laws, where ever that may be.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Mike called me earlier today. He went north east to Hattiesburg. He's not at his house in Slidell so he's out of contact. I had heard that Reed had to work the airport but recently I saw on TV that the air port was closed. That is all that I know right now. It is raining pretty hard now . The lightining is getting bad and the winds haven't stopped. As Robby had hoped the track is jsut east of New Orleans right now but still not far enough away to keep it from severe problems. There are a lot of people in the SuperDome right now but I seriuosly doubt Mike is there. I will probably be on teamspeak a lot tonight so if your up and your bored get on an talk. I will also play some BF2 to pass the time as I stay up and keep watch on the house. Both me and my wife do not have to work tomorrow so we'll be here.

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Mike called me earlier today. He went north east to Hattiesburg. He's not at his house in Slidell so he's out of contact. I had heard that Reed had to work the airport but recently I saw on TV that the air port was closed. That is all that I know right now. It is raining pretty hard now . The lightining is getting bad and the winds haven't stopped. As Robby had hoped the track is jsut east of New Orleans right now but still not far enough away to keep it from severe problems. There are a lot of people in the SuperDome right now but I seriuosly doubt Mike is there. I will probably be on teamspeak a lot tonight so if your up and your bored get on an talk. I will also play some BF2 to pass the time as I stay up and keep watch on the house. Both me and my wife do not have to work tomorrow so we'll be here.
lamerc has a ts server?! I will go on ts :D

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Yes, we use it to coordinate in BF2.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Lol, By the time I got to a plane it would be between you and me. Also the interstate is dead. Complete grid lock right now. I'm holding tight. Belive me though. If I could, I'd be sitting right next to you saying Damn that's a big storm, want to go outside and throw the football around.

Aww come on, Roby offered to serve us beers topless while we sit in the spa if you can make it here...

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
You need to get BF2 and play. Go to the first person shooter threads and look in the BF2 thread under teamspeak.

[sG] Dutchman
August 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
password for teamspeak server?

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I used to live in Mandeville. Moved up to Arkansas from there back in 1994. It's somewhat unnerving to see a field reporter from the weather channel there on TV with a hurricane bearing down.

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 28th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I know most of the people who we want to hear from aren’t going to be around for a while... but once the fan hits the **** make sure to let us know if there is anything we can do to help! I need to find an excuse to make it down there sometime (I would have wished under better conditions). Let’s hope we can learn to take care of our own as well as we took care of the Tsunami victims. If all of New Orleans will soon be underwater they are going to need it.

On a lighter note I’m trying to talk my roommate into coming down to go windsurfing, the wind would be awesome!

LA_MERC_Yankee
August 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Rain and wind starting to pick up now. Pictures from "Ground Zero" pretty much as far as I'm concerned can be found here - http://www.lamerc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14454

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Moped...youre an idiot.

but thats a funny picture. :D

HENK
August 28th, 2005, 11:27 PM
i am trying to get a little sleep now ,everyone hold tight!!!!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I got little sleep as well. The wind is howling right now with gust up to 60 mph here near Mobile. As soon as it gets a littel more light I will take a pic. Tree tops starting to bend so it's getting close to zero hour here. I'll keep you posted.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 29th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Power starting to flicker, so I may go off line soon. If so everyone be safe. I'm hunkered down just across Mobile Bay.

LA_MERC_Andyconda ------ Signing Off

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone. While I feel badly for the poor people in Buras and Venice, LA and also for the MS gulf coast, it lloks like the catastrophic hit on NOLA has not happened. THe Western eye wall is passing 20 miles to the East of the city. That means that 80-100 mph winds are battering the area right now, but that should be the highest they get. Keep your fingers crossed that the resulting storm surge does not top the levees and flood NOLA. Right now, that is the biggest worry to the city. The MS gulf coast has some serious direct hit concerns although.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
It is taking a toll Robby. The dome is damaged already. wow. I'll also have to give props to Al's guys over in Texas. Texas has given everyone in the state a free pass if they have a Lousiana license plate. No parking tickets.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 29th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Oh no, the levee just broke by the French Quarter. NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:02 AM
Remeber guys. My offer still stands. Anyone who needs a place to stay until power or whatever is restored for them can do so at my house. I have power back up and I've just got back from the grocery store to restock my freezer and refrigerator. I know Mike is in North Alabama right now and is staying in a hotel but if anyone talks to him try to reiterate that I'm available. I know he has to be having it rough with a small baby. It was rough for me going over 24 hours without power with a 1 year old and a 4 year old. Same goes for James. I hear he evacuated East to Florida so he had to go right by me. If any hears from him, tell him the same thing. Me casa su casa.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:38 PM
OMFG. People have lost their minds. I work in Bay Minette Alabama. During work today there was a shooting at a local gas station. I got a company directive that we must carpool becuase of teh gas shortage and to not get gas for the day as violence was rampant in the city. On the way home every gas station I passed had 40+ cars and had a national guard squad FULLY ARMED with M-16 standing post at every gas pump, WHOLY FRIGGIN COW!. They say that gas per gallon will go up 80 cents a gallon better. We could see 4 dollar a gallon real soon, I also just got off teh phone with Robby. He is being re evacuated from the New Orleans he says the crime and looting are vicious and that he's seen things people shouldn't have to see. My heart goes out to him for a safe departure. REMEBER ROBBY YOU ARE WELCOME AT MY HOUSE. I also heard that the houses on Mobile Bay here on the eastern shore have armed national guards at every house because of looting. Its bad even over here in lower Alabama. I even heard a report that they had people coming on in boats to houses on the bay to rob them. These people have lost their minds. Needless to say I have my guns out and cleaned and ready for a worst case scenario. Everyone in the lower halves of Louisiana , Mississpppi, and Alabama, BE CAREFUL.

cd
August 31st, 2005, 05:42 PM
Gas somewhere in Georgia is 5.87 a gallon, just saw on the news.

LA_MERC_Drax
August 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Gas over in Baton Rouge and Laffayette area still around 2.50. Expect gas to go up, as i've been talking with people at work, BP lost a major, 265,000 barrels of oil per day, production platorm. They don't know how many rigs are still missing, and theres a handful washed up on shore. I know they evacuated alot of new orleans out to baton rouge, i think the river center(the centroplex) and the pmac are both being used as shelters. I hope that looting and stuff doesn't come to baton rouge....

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 05:57 PM
What do you mean Justin. Its all the way over here in Alabama with me and I'm 140 miles away. Baton Rouge is only like 70. Your half the distance away. Be carefull and if you see gas at 2.50 a gallon BUY IT AND BUY ALL THAT YOU CAN.

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 31st, 2005, 08:24 PM
I really feal like it is a media frenzy going on..the talking heads are yapping, and then non rational people get all excited for nothing..the looting, is crazy by the project, I have heard numerous reports that the Northshore has ahad almost none.

It is the poor and uneducated that form this sub-human race..not racist...just my stance on looters, no matterwhat color they are.
:soapbox:
it will be ok Andy, just need to get it straight, the gas lines are always crazy, now thanks to the media we have panic, instead of conservatism of our resources.
Oh well...Andy the looters can not travel to Baton Rouge there has to be evacuees to have that, they will arrest them there, not ignore them like NOPD has too now.
I would say officially that BR is the largest city by far in the state right now evryone is there.

ANDY YOU TALKED TO ROBBY??!!
Did he ask, inquire about me?
Do you have info of him?

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 31st, 2005, 09:09 PM
Mike, hate to tell you this but a bunch of the evacuees are on bluebonnet in BR beating on windows demanding money from people. My sister went throught this earlier today. Whereever those type of people are, they're going to cause trouble.

Oh yeah, where's rob since he's been evacuated?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Mike Like DJ said. If its happening here in Mobile it will definately happen in Baton Rouge. I see white and hispanic looters too. Its not a racist thing just a sub human thing. Don't get me wrong I see a lot of acts of pure kindness and thoughtfulness happening too. Some people shine in these types of circumstances and others do not. You right in the the liberal media pushes the dark side as it sells more than news on the good samaritan and it will take events like this and people like us to turn a blind eye to liberal media that tends to oversensationalize events like this. Its a tragic time with catastrophic consequences with people losing the holmes, their possesions, and most of all there lives and they focus on the few stealing shoes. Its not right but its what happens. I talked to Robby this afternoon. He got back into the city on his work badge as he like you is a utility worker so they let him back in. Problem is that crime got so bad they were worried for the employees welfare so they sent everyone home. He was on his way back to Shreveport. I also had Matt Barcelona call me tonight at 10 saying he was coming into Mobil out of gas and the gas situation was and is horrific here. He dropped of Stephanie and the kids and we drove all over the city looking for gas. It was chaotic. The only gas station in a 100 mile radius left with gas was teh wal mart in Daphne. We waited over an hour in a line of 100+ (YES 100+) cars and was 6 cars away from the pumps when they ran out of gas. NO GAS for MILES and MILES. Luckily I had a friend here with a 5 gallon canister that was able to give Matt enough to go on to Panama City. I tell you I know we will get past this and everything will get better. But it sure is getting a lot worse than I thought it ever could have.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 31st, 2005, 11:54 PM
I hate to be the bringer of bad news.....but.....this truth will hurt us at the pumps.....7 oil platforms are floating free, and 1 has been identified as sunken. The Coast Guard has done several fly bys over the Gulf and says that there are multiple sunken structures. Two major pipelines are shut down until father notice. One runs from Houston to New York and the other from Louisiana to Washington D.C. 95% of the Gulf's refining capacity is down.

Gas prices will go up, there is no doubt about it......we are already at maximum production with our refineries, shutting down the pipelines and losing production platforms is going to kill our oil supply....I guess we better go take Iraq back now.....

LA_MERC_Drax
September 1st, 2005, 05:16 AM
From what i read yesterday, 92% of the oil and 88% of the natural gas from the gulf has been shut down. This makes up about 7 % of our total oil supply. Also read about measures being taken to deal with the gas prices. First, they've opened the reserves up, and second, EPA has lifted some of there requirements for gas emitions and sulfur content on diesel. This should help some with the price as it cost more to refine it down to tighter specs.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM
It is pure madness here over gas. Oil is the new gold. Like the Beverly Hill BIllies song. "Black GOLD, Oil That is" I'm going to sit down and watch the movie Mad Max beyond Thunderdome so I know what it will be like and I can prepare. I've been singing the theme song by Tina Turner all day. "We don't need another Hero, We don't need to know the way home, all we need is life beyond, THUNDERDOME!

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Mike, I had been trying to contact you for days. Reed told me he had communicated with you and you were okay. Bottom line is that here is nothing we can even begin to do for work until the two take place:

1) National Guard locks down the city and elimantes the looters
2) Tree trimmers get in and trim the thousands of downed trees over utility lines.

Once that is done, the west bank and the northshore may be damaged surveyed. Until then, all we can do is sit tight.

The East bank and New Orleans is a far different story. It will be a couple of months before we can go in there.

On another note, when I got to my work desk Tuesday afternoon, I had an e-mail from some genius from Atlanta asking about the status of a phone order in New Orleans. It started something like, "I hope you are okay and I know you are probably a little busy with the storm, but this customer is very concerned about the status of their order, can you check/expedite?" I was so mad I wanted to reach therough the monitor and pop her head off... GRRRR

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
Someone Sticky this thread and modify the first post to add all the pertenant info like I had stated. This will centralize our help efforts for those who will need it in the weeks to come. Thanks.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==