PDA

View Full Version : Dirge is my Hero

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
After a tough battle with my dibilitating disease of being black and tan challeneged, I turned to my best friends for aid and comfort. He hears my dilema and offers sound advice. I was without widget power. After obtaining the frosty brew with widget power I see the promise land. Attached is a picture of my salvation. This is a major big thank you to a true friend.

I would also like to mention honorary help in this time of need to Yankee. Thank you Reed for stepping to the plate when the tools were needed. The spoon works great. Thanks for having the cohunaus (spelling) to step up to the plate.

With friends like Robby and Reed. I'm truely blessed. THANK YOU both!

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM
LMAO He's holding it up like it's the Holy Grail! ROFL

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I'm assuming that was a god-like beer...

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Lol, Actually Robby, that is Candace's arm and hand you see. Do you not remeber my big "Man Hands". Even though that is my beloved 36 ounce beer mugs my hands still would look big around it. Don't get me wrong. Candace is a tall woman and at 5'10" has big hands herself. Anyway you know me, I was lazy and said "Here woman hold this up while I take a pic".

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
P.S. That pic has a whole bottle of Bass and a whole bottle of Guiness and there's room for more. I love those mugs.

HENK
July 29th, 2005, 02:51 AM
mmmmmmh BEER
and even the good kind ,good for you :D
btw. i got the same glass ,we should get together sometimes.

|Team Moped| Kripto
July 29th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I thought the two beers would seperate?

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah I am with Scooter here? where is the black...where is the Tan...all I see is brown??
lots of brown...looks like Spark after sitting next to Dirge at the LAN???

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
The tan is Bass Pale Ale and is poured first
The black is Guiness Stout which must be nitrogen pushed and poured over an upside down spoon to keep the two beers seperated. The Guiness will sit on top of the Bass, forming a nice clear, dark amber bottom with a very dark opaque top. As one drinks the beer, the tan seeps under the black, mixing the two as it hits your palette. The result is a beer better than the sum of it's parts!

Satisifed?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 29th, 2005, 11:44 AM
If you click on the picture you can clearly see the distinct layers. They do seperate as DIrge explained. But Dirgey your wrong about the Stout. Guiness Stout does not have widget power. It is the Draught that is widgeted with Nirogen. If you pour Guiness Stout over a pale ale you will get Brown. The term black and tan comes from Irish hounds that were colored black and tan. In a dispute many many moons ago between a Brit and an Irishman about the "heaviness" of there beer they decided to pour the 2 together to see which would claim bottom. To everyones amazement the pale ale went to the bottom and the "heavier" beer, Guiness "floated". I say the word heavier becuase Guiness although sits heavier on the stomach is actually less viscous than a pale ale. This keeps the two seperated. Again. Click on the picture and look and you will see the difference. You can also go buy some Guiness Draught and some Bass and prepare as Robby states above. From this you will see the distinction and also get the priveledge to drink a very fine brew. I'll bring my mug to the LAN Henk. We'll throw down some ale then. For the rest of you nubs, Black and Tans ownz you!

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 29th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ok, that is hilariour that the change in color is also exactly in line withthe change in the glass...I see now...c00l

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Andy, the draught just refers to the enclosed Guiness Stout as being fresh as if it was draught- which is an English way to spell and say draft. The widget releases the nitrogen in a manner very similar to the way Guiness is served on draught (draft).

The Stout refers to type of beer it is, how it was brewed, ingredients, etc not the pushing mechanism or lack thereof.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM
As you can see here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=draught

draught is a variant of draft

and stout is here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stout

or basically- 1: a strong very dark heavy-bodied ale made from pale malt and roasted unmalted barley and (often) caramel malt with hops

Beer 102 class dismissed for the weekend, go backto killing out the weak brain cells

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 29th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Upon further research, there is a slight difference in what you refer to as Stout. it seems it is actually EXTRA STOUT- which has more roast barley and has somewhat higher IBUs, resulting in a harsher, sharper flavour. This is a result of using yeast in the bottle, which is necessary in the absence of the widget.

LA_MERC_Shadow
July 30th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Widgets or not it tastes GOOOOOOD!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Agreed but widget power is better.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I gotta stop arguing with myself! And wth is up with the grocery being out of Bass after all this black and tan talk! HAX!

LA_MERC_Shadow
July 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Go to sam's they normally have a black and tan combo pack. Makes it very convenient.

[lag]Zen
August 1st, 2005, 07:43 PM
You can substitute the Bass for other stuff.

A Black Velvet is pretty good.

Guiness on top and a bottom layer of Cider (apple / pear). Quite Tastey.

Or be true to your Irish roots and have a half and half (Guiness / Harp).

Big_ch33se
August 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Mmmmmmmmm Guiness. BRILLIANT! :stpat3 :stpat2
:jk2

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Guiness is so much better in europe, I wonder why it changes so much when it comes to the US?

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
I think it just depends on how much is poured, how often and whether or not nitrogen is used. For example, there are some Irish bars in New Orleans where the Guiness flows all night long and is pretty close to Europe. Then there are some where it just ain't right! lol

LA_MERC_Spark
August 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Say isn't there an alcohol % limit that makes it different in some places in the US as well?

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
I think that is more like the Domestic beer (which is brwed locally) has limitations. Beers like Guiness are imported and/or canned in their distributing state which controls the alcohol contents. I think? Well, it sounds good in my head.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
lol! google will know damn it!

LA_MERC_BS
August 2nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
I thought alcohol percentages varied from state to state. Or is it country to country?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Robby, If you come to the house I have plenty of Bass and Guiness stocked. I have falen prey to the dark side. And forever it will consume my fate.

P.S. Arguing with yourself, LOL, funny stuff.

cd
August 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM
man o man.... 1 month to the day for my 21st... cant wait to become an alcohlic like dirge :D

cd
August 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
my bad... and andy

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM
another fan!

cd
August 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM
what can I say, I'm jealous.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Careful, once you fall prey to the dark side. Forever will it consume your fate. Muh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Damn his Irish blood.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM
hehehe

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hack. Where did you dig up that pic. Man I've gained some weight. You can tell we had hit rock bottom on that pic though. Any time you see me with a bottle of vermuth and grey goose, it's been a long night, LOL.

LA_MERC_Onji
December 28th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm reviving this thread. Andy or Robby, where can one find this widget, and special 'spoon'
thanks

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Simple enough,

The widget is inside the bottle of Guiness Draught --> http://www.guinness.com/us_en/beer/draughtbottle/default.aspx

It can be either from the can or bottle.

The spoon is simply that. You can bend one to fit the glass or buy you a nice shiny one--->http://www.kegworks.com/shoppingcart/customer/product.php?productid=17195&source=froogle

Then you simply pour your Bass Pale Ale in to halfway in the glass. Place the spoon on the glass and pour the Guiness Draught onto the spoon. Let the Guiness settle and enjoy!

LA_MERC_Onji
December 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
woot, thanks man, sounds easy enough

Wyrm_f00d
December 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Well... thanx Onji.. i read the entire post and now... only now do i have this hole in me that could only be filled with a Black and Tan...

MUST HAVE BEER!!!

:beerchug

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Q: A:
What is a Black & Tan?
What is a Half-and-Half?
The answer depends on who you ask. The all-Guinness Black & Tan is Harp's Lager and Guinness. (Harp's is brewed by Guinness at Dundalk). Many consider the classic Black & Tan to be Bass Pale Ale and Guinness. (To some Irish, they appreciate the fact that the Irish comes out on top!) However, Bass Ale is not as available in Ireland as it used to be, and either Harp or Smithwicks is generally used. However, there are many variations involving a stout or porter and another lighter coloured beer, either lager or ale.

A half-and-half is often just another name for a Black & Tan. However, in many North American Irish pubs, the Bass/Guinness combination is called a Black & Tan, while the Harp/Guinness combination is called a Half-and-Half.

To quote Brendan E. Molloy [email protected]: according to "The Guinness Drinking Companion" by Leslie Dunkling:

Black and Tan = Guinness and Mild
Half and Half = Mild and Bitter

The above book (now sadly out of print) was published by Guinness Publishing and if anyone knows they do! The full Oxford English Dictionary also mentions these mixtures (look under Beer, Ale, Drink, etc.). With the decline of Mild in the UK these names are dropping out of use. In Dublin, where Mild is no longer available, you will get Guinness mixed with Bitter if you ask for a Black and Tan. Some publicans serve other combinations so it is best to check before you buy.
[Note: Mild is a sweet 'Tan' coloured beer., that is typically light in alcohol.]

However, Guinness promotional advertising refers to a Black & Tan as being the Bass and Guinness version.

Black and Tans rule, at the same time Car Bombs are just that the bomb!

1/2 pint Guinness
1 oz Jamison
1/2 oz Bailey's Irish cream

Pour Guiness into a pint glass. Float Baileys on top of Jamison in shot glass. Drop shot glass, carefully, into Guiness. Drink quickly before it curdles.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 28th, 2005, 10:17 PM
That post reminds me of a VERY old post....Drinking 101.

http://www.lamerc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8441&highlight=drinking+101

Its about 10-12 posts down.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 28th, 2005, 10:33 PM
By the way, a great "beer" is made here in my town. It is Blackfoot River Brewing Double Black Diamond Stout...mmmmmmmmmm.....aaaahhhhh.......mmmmmmmmmmm ! I will try to find a link on the web if they have it.

http://www.blackfootriverbrewing.com/ the tap on the far right!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 28th, 2005, 10:37 PM
The Scottish Ale is also the bomdiggity.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==