PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Question

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Ok...here's the story.

I was on my way to the post office...minding my own business while listening to the sultry sounds of The Best of Pantera : Far Beyond The Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (by the way, if you don't have this yet, CFH...it's all their "major" hits and has a DVD with the videos). Anyway, it was probably turned up a little bit too far, but nothing that would really cause any "long-term damage"...if you know what I mean. So, I get out at the post office and mail the letters that I have. I get back in my truck, crank the engine and drive away. After about 20 seconds, I realize that my CD isn't playing anymore. I turn it off and back on and mess with the volume...nothing. "You blew a fuse, idiot", I think to myself. So, I head off to Wal-Mart to get some fuses. I'm inside for maybe 15 minutes or so and then I leave after paying for the fuses. I get in the truck, crank it...and am greated with the sultry sounds of Pantera again.

Now, if it were a fuse problem, it wouldn't have come back on...unless there were some seriously weird fuses in my truck (2003 GMC Sierra, btw). The radio also didn't work during that time. I'm thinking electrical problem...but not sure. Do car CD players have built-in functions that make it so it won't work if the volume is too high? I tried turning the truck off and back on several times while turning the CD player off and on as well to no avail.

Any ideas?

LaTech

LA_MERC_goose
July 14th, 2005, 09:17 AM
The cars / trucks and in dash players I have delt with, I've never seen one that won't work at certain volumes. - is this the factory player or an after market?

}{y|3ri|)
July 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Im just gona go out on a limb and say hes got a Factory deck. If you have had some aftermarket stuff done to it check the wire harness behind the deck to make sure its plugged in right. did the radio work at all or was it just that there was no power to your cd deck?

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Everything worked fine. Yes, it's a factory CD player (I'm poor...heck...I still don't have a job!). Power came on fine. CD play symbol came up...just no audio.

SnAkEbItE
July 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Was it indicateing that it was playing said cd?

LA_MERC_goose
July 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
The Flux Compasater needs to be replaced.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the SCV (Speed control volume) acting up on you. Maybe try rotating the SCV switch back and forth a couple of times to "clean" tjhe contacts and let 'er rip until it acts up again.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Well, I'm going to give to you straight. You will probably have to replace your factory deck. I have seen a lot of factory radios go out and act funny like that. This is large part due to the fact that factory decks are sub par at the best, unless you get a premium sound system from the factory which is sub contracted out by companies like Bose, and they do a decent job. 9 times out of 10 a circuit board either cracked or the sauter is lose or melted somewhere. You probably will get by for a while but your time is limited. Like Robby said the speed control volume adjustment may be the component going out but if it cut sound totally then I would say that isn't it becuase SCV feature can only lower volume dbA by 15% max from 0 to 100+ mph. I have found through years of experience from buying and installing numerous decks as I was a sound system junky all thorugh high school with big loud bass sound systems that Pioneer is the best bang for the buck. Get a super tuner III at Wal-Mart and it will play clean and crisp and last a very long time. There are better decks but for the price you can't beat'em.

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
ok, thanks for the info. Time to save my pennies!

LA_MERC_Nutria
July 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Try these guys out... they have never steered me wrong and they make it easy for you to do it yourself. They send stereos and speakers with factory adapters so there is almost no modifying... most of the time.
www.crutchfield.com

}{y|3ri|)
July 14th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Get your ears checked tech, could just be that your loosing your hearing in your old age.

Muwhahahah...haahahaahaha...heh.. ho ho ho.. ha... tee haa hoo.. meeh

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM
hahaha, ole Tech is losing his hearing...

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Hey now...I'm not that old!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==