PDA

View Full Version : North America's Longest Cable Stay Bridge

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 12th, 2005, 08:13 PM
is getting ready to be opened this Saturday here in Charleston, SC. This bridge was completed 1 year ahead of schedule with a $650 some odd million price tag.

http://www.cooperriverbridge.org/index.asp

Here are some pics of when they turned the lights on for the first time the other night.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 12th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Nice shots Henry! Looks beautiful. I heard on the news the other night a couple actually got married on it - I thought that was a neat idea.

BTW - did you get my email about the N64?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 12th, 2005, 09:01 PM
BTW - did you get my email about the N64?

I have not seen anything yet.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 13th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Pretty bridge. So how long is it? Height? etc?

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM
The cable stayed span hangs from two diamond towers at each end of the 1546 foot span. A signature icon for the Charleston region, these towers reach over 575 feet into the air and support a road deck almost 200 feet above the median high tide mark. Specialty features include platforms and tower elevators included for safety inspections and maintenance.

Looks amazing...

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Nice shots Henry! Looks beautiful. I heard on the news the other night a couple actually got married on it - I thought that was a neat idea.

The guy that got married was one of the lead engineers who designed the bridge. Befitting I think. Also I was at the guy's house who married them today working on his computer. They showed me the pictures of the wedding and the Carnival Cruise Liner that was under the bride.

Anyway, supposedly the largest firework display every done in the eastern US is going to be shown tomorrow night for the opening celebration. Me and others will be on one of the rooftop bar having a few beverages and listening to the music in which the fireworks will be shot off in sync with. Lots of fun things happening here in Charleston.

LA_MERC_BS
July 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Lots of fun things happening here in Charleston.

Nothing like that ever ever goes on around here. Just beer drinking festivals.

Awesome pictures of the bridge. Try to get some of the bridge while the fire works are going on. Those would be good ones.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I have not seen anything yet.

You mentioned something about having a N64 lying around and wanted to know if I wanted to "borrow" it for a while. I was just wondering if it was still available.

LA_MERC_BS
July 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hey Mal how was the bridge opening show?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM
The show was awesome! Started at 9:30 was over at 10:00 then they lit the bridge up permanently. Downtown was nothing but one huge party right before and then several hours afterwards. If it weren't for the fact I had a work appointment at 8:00 this morning I would have joined them. All the rooftop bars were packed and the parking garages as well. I bet there was 800 people on the top of the parking garage I was at. Tailgate parties was happening and so was the drinking. The bay was packed full of sailboats and yachts. The USS Yorktown (WWII Aircraft Carrier) had it own party on the flight deck. Wish I could have been a part of that crowd. Anyway Loads of fun. Enjoyed every bit of it as this was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Soon as I get the pictures off my camera I will share.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
w00t! Can't wait man!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Max, Maverick has the N64 I believe. I seem to not be able to put my hands on it.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Here are the pictures from the fireworks show before they opened the bridge. The overhead picture was sent by a friend.

LA_MERC_BS
July 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
AWESOME !!! Good photos

Preludestress
July 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Awesome pics. Do they have sidewalks / walkways on the sides of the bridge? Just curious...

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Awesome pics. Do they have sidewalks / walkways on the sides of the bridge? Just curious...

They have both a bike lane and a pedestrian lane.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==