PDA

View Full Version : $3000 Screw Driver

TruckGuy
May 6th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Being a mechanic, I own alot of expensive tools. Believe it or not, last thursday, I found a $3000 screwdriver. A '04 Honda Accord V6 sedan came into the shop with the right side curtain air bag and right seat airbag deployed. The car did't so much as have a scratch on it. The lady who ownes it said she was just driving along and they went off. I knew she had to have hit something, so I pulled it in and put it on the rack. I found an 8'' Stanley screw driver wedged between the floor and the side skirting. It had evidently hit the floor right under the right middle impact sensor and was enough force to deploy the bags. Anyway, after replacing all the SRS parts, the headliner, the right front leather seat back, and several interior panels, her insurance companies bill was $2967.00. This should be a warning to anyone with a later model auto with side curtain or side air bags, "DONT RUN OVER ANYTHING IN THE ROAD!"

LA_MERC_goose
May 6th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I hate those damn curtain air bags! Truthfully, I hate the damn air bags in general - being 10 years fire fighting and auto extrication those damn things are a pain in the rear!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
May 6th, 2005, 09:47 PM
LOL @ Goose! Yeah, you might say they, but if you have the opportunity to use them (which I hope that you never have to), that impression will change. ;)

TruckGuy
May 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM
One of the service writers in the shop is a Lt.(I think) at West Florence V.F.D. He said his guys dont like airgags either. They dont always all go off in an accident, and the ones that didnt might go off while cutting on the car. He says they also hate the new hybrid cars, cause the manufacturers dont put out much info on disabling the big batteries or what not to cut thru.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
LOL!
That reminds me of a car that came into Cales while I was working there, It had all
kinds of engine code errors and was running like crap. I put the car on the lift and
found where they had run over somthing that punched a hole in the floor board, the
ECM " Engine Control Module" was under the seat.

Anyway you get the picture. " No wonder it was freaking out "

TruckGuy
May 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Thats nothin' Dawg. I had one a couple of months ago a guy brought in his early 90's Accord and said his trans wouldn't shift. I pulled the car in and found a .25 cal slug had gone thru the trans cont. unit casing and stuck in the circuit board. He tried to get his ins. co. to pay for it saying he must have run over a bullet in the road. The ins adjuster and I found a hole thru the carpet you could pass a pen thru, an empty shell casing under the passenger seat, and a loaded .25 auto in the glove box. Stupy. He later confessed his buddy was playing with the gun and it went off.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
LOMFAO!!!!

Naw dude its not loaded...BLAM!!!!!

DOH!!!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
May 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I hope you kept that screwdriver. I mount that SOB on a plaque with a cop of the original estimate.

Texas_Lawdog
May 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
that would be my luck

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Tell ya what, those airbags are mighty soft... The smell is stank and the powder burns aren't fun... But boy are they soft.

TruckGuy
May 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I took a digital pic of screwdriver, but i can't figure out how to put it in the post. (kinda new at this)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==