PDA

View Full Version : Paypal email ...

LA_MERC_BS
March 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Yesterday my room mate (Signal 46) got pwned. He discovered that his checking account was short $1600.00 . He Went to the South Trust web site to check his account balance and transactions. He discovered that he had one hell of a time in Las Vegas last week. The bad thing was, he's never been there. How did it happen you ask, well it all started with an email that Signal got. For the remainder of this post we'll code name Signal "IDIOT". Idiot receives an email from paypal. The email told Idiot to update his personal information. So he fills in all the blanks on the email and sends it back. What were the blanks you ask, well they were things like real name, age, ssn, credit card #, checking account #. Luckily Idiot saved the email. After several minutes of laughing and heckling at Idiot, I took a look at the email and it looks just like paypals web page. The only thing that it didn't have was that tiny little yellow pad lock at the bottom right hand corner of the page. Funny how he didn't think to check for that. Let this be a warning to everyone and everyone that you know, especially if they are mentally challenged. And if your planning a trip to Las Vegas, I know a guy that will pay for it ....

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
omg, hax! That sort of thing is on the rise, though...it could have been worse!

LT

HENK
March 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
oh cmon,thats like the oldest spam ever.paypal even warns not to respond to any e mails,doh!!!!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
phishing is on the rise more than ever now. I get suntrust emails all the time wanting me to update my information. Seeing how I don't do business with Suntrustmenot, I delete em.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
doh.....but come Signal, thats a really old scam.

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
doh! and lmao at the same time...

LA_MERC_CS Widow
March 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
You don't have to look too far for stuff like that. I've been reading up on hacks etc. for quite some time to keep up on the crap people try to pull. I have a fake login for hotmail. I downloaded it to see how real it looked. It's scary good. Anyway, when someone puts in their screen name and password, it takes you to another screen that gives you an error code. When the person closes it and tries again, everything goes as normal. Meanwhile, the first one just emailed the bad guy his screen name and decoded password. That's the MILD stuff!

[C.O.P.S]Signal46
March 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Well what can i say i got laxed on what i was doing and failed to follow up on it and got what i deserved, but all i can say it was learning lesson and it will not happen again. But as far as my trustee roomate will get what he deserve with that "Idiot" comment the next time we are out playing paintball and forget to take mine off Fully auto and empty all 200 rounds in him then i will be the one laughing instead of him laughing at me for my screw up Oh Jerry better sleep with one Eye Open..

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 21st, 2005, 08:35 PM
lol!!!

LA_MERC_goose
March 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
That sounds painful .... :shoot:

MindWerks
March 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
I fill out these emails all the time... cept I usually put random names, SSN, and other information in them. What is the harm really?

LA_MERC_CS Widow
March 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
...What is the harm really?

They still get your IP, don't they? Won't that tell them they got through to an active email account and where to send more?

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
no, those things are completely anonymous :rolleyes:

MindWerks
March 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
']They still get your IP, don't they? Won't that tell them they got through to an active email account and where to send more?

Well I guess you have a point, they will definately have the IP of my Yahoo account, but since I don't own Yahoo stock its a risk I don't mind taking. If they did get the IP of my local PC it would be a local subnet IP that is only valid on my home network, don't think there is much they can do with that.

I'm sure they will definately send more emails to me if they ever feel the need for more bogus information. I'll be happy to help, its kind of a stress reliever. LOL

LA_MERC_CS Widow
March 22nd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Gotcha! Thanks for explaining.
:)

SweetGirL
March 23rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Will Signal be able to get his money back? If so, how do you go about doing that? What's the process?

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 23rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Will Signal be able to get his money back? If so, how do you go about doing that? What's the process?

ummm...sounds like you have been a victim too?

HENK
March 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
yes u should be able to get your money back from your bank,at least if u use paypal with ur credt card.i just had a dispute which was basically my fault for not being able to count 1 and 1 together.i ordered something from great britan in euro ,well they billed me like 2 month later over a swiss credit institute in us dollar.confused me so i called the bank and hey refunded me the money within a day ,too bad i had to give it back :(
so if u use master card over paypal just call your bank and you should get credit .

SweetGirL
March 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
ummm...sounds like you have been a victim too?

Noppers, I haven't. Just want to "edumacate" myself. :fruit

LA_MERC_BS
March 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Signal had to fight with the bank a little bit, but they are going to put the money back in his account minus $50.00 which I'm guessing is a processing fee or something. Sucks loosing $50.00 over it, but he works at a chemical plant so he probably only lost an hours pay......jerk !!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==