PDA

View Full Version : DFI vs MSI

LA_MERC_goose
March 9th, 2005, 06:00 AM
which would you choose? (I'm limited to the fundage I can spend since "The Boss" has already spoken for 95% of it)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246473

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241129

LA_MERC_Maverick
March 9th, 2005, 06:23 AM
i wouls choose DFI, mainly cauve the 2 boards are basically the same, but the DFI board supports 2 sata drives, while the MSI board only supports 1. Doesnt make much difference really, but if you ever decide to go with a raptor and large sata drive (like me...hehe) then the board would support it

LA_MERC_Spark
March 9th, 2005, 09:05 AM
i had two DFI boards in the past.... 1st one came dead from the factory... soecond won ate itself like 9 or 10 mos after i got it.. i do not trust them... My current board is an msi board... it is about three years old.. I've had a few strange things happen that i haven't been able to isolate, so im not real sure it's the mobo.... it is a prime suspect however... At the company I work for we use ASUS exclusively, and I have been very pleaased with their performance.. If it were at all possible i would try to get an ASUS mobo... If i had to choose between these two i would saty clear of DFI... that is soley based on my experience with them.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
i've always been an asus or msi guy - but mav has had good experiance w/ the dfi's i think.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
March 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM
if you can swing a few dollars more, go for this board:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-186-051&depa=0

I have it in my main PC at home and love it (not too crazy bout intel though). It's very stable, has multiple SATA ports (I'm running with 3 HD's right now, 2 PATA and 1 SATA) and supports raid on the SATA ports. The chipset is great and has some good features. I like the onboard firewire too (I connect my camcorder to it for DL'ing video I've taken)

I recently ordered one as a replacement board in one the PC's here at work too. for the features, Overclocking, stability, etc. this is a great board for an even better price. It has gotten great reviews at quite a few hardware sites too.

edit: The DFI Lanparty series boards are very good. however, I've heard many people and review sites say that the regular DFI line (non-lanparty series) have a ton of trouble, mostly due to quality assurance on the assembly line for those products.

LA_MERC_Maverick
March 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
hehe, yeah, ive only used the lanparty mobo''s and have loved both of them, the first was an NF2 board, which i then replaced with an NF3 board when i did my computer upgrade. havent had any problems with them at all

MindWerks
March 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM
My new PC was built on an MSI board and supports 4 SATA drives and is equiped with dual gigabit network cards. Now my first board was faulty (wouldn't recognise the PCI bus), but once I got the replacement board it was rock solid. Its 10x more stable then my friends PC, we basicly have the same computer cept the Motherboard and video card. His PC will give him an error or crash while playing games a lot. Mine hardly ever crashes and has been a solid performer with FPS.

So if you get a good MSI board you will have a great PC. I have a spare board in my closet now since I couldn't wait for the RMA to get back from MSI. Only took a few days but I'm impatient and just went to the local PC store and bought the same model so I could jump on and play on my new PC right away. LOL

LA_MERC_goose
March 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Well, I went with an MSI board. It's my birthday present so I've been told, even though it will be delivered in two days, that I have to wait until my birthday to get it. So, hopefully this means that I will be able to play again real soon. Thanks guys.

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 10th, 2005, 03:10 PM
lmao, you have to stare at it for 2 weeks before you can use it?

(devil on left shoulder) "yeah right, your wife is 1200 miles away, how is she going to know...hehehe"

(angel on right shoulder) "you know what you promised, you will feel guilty for breaking a promise to a loved one"

LA_MERC_goose
March 10th, 2005, 03:25 PM
lmao, you have to stare at it for 2 weeks before you can use it?

(devil on left shoulder) "yeah right, your wife is 1200 miles away, how is she going to know...hehehe"
The really sad part, because I paid with a credit card they would not ship it to my current address without me calling the credit card company and having them change the address on the card from SC to CO. That in turn would have sent the bill to CO, but my wife has the check book in SC - so to make a retarded story short, it was shipped to my wife, to South Carolina, which I won't see until the 25th of March.
:shootme:

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah...I hate it when companies do that. I understand why they do it, but it still is aggravating. One solution though, call the credit card company and have them add the address to the account as a secondary address. This is what I had to do.

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
that sucks, well at least you have your dignity....wait...nevermind..

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 12th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Goose...what have you done to these people??? LMAO!

LA_MERC_goose
March 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I swear I have not done anything to these "people". I guess they just love me too much or something. lol :)

~a/c
March 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well, I went with an MSI board. It's my birthday present so I've been told, even though it will be delivered in two days, that I have to wait until my birthday to get it. So, hopefully this means that I will be able to play again real soon. Thanks guys.good thing...since the DFI only has a 533 MHz FSB :O while the MSI supports 800 MHz FSB

LA_MERC_goose
March 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Well, my CPU is a P4 2.4 with 533 front side so that wasn't much of a problem.

The board arrived last night - well, it's in South Carolina anyway. I'll be driving home in two weeks so I'm just going to take what I have home with me and hopefully I can drive home the following week with a computer that might actually work. **looks for M@lachi** Hey bro!, ya busy!? lol

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
**M@lachi? who is that?** LOL! Sure man, I can help ya out, long as there is some type of recreational refreshments (aka beer) involved.

LA_MERC_goose
March 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Your choice, as long as it's either Bud Light long necks or IceHouse long necks. lol

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 15th, 2005, 07:30 PM
:D

LA_MERC_Maverick
March 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
hey, ill help too, or, wait, no, ill just be there for the "recreational refreshments". LOL!

LA_MERC_goose
March 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM
There's two six packs in my fridge! Still in the bags. Come and enjoy while we attempt to blow up a new motherboard!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
March 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
WooT .... I KNOW HOW TO KILL A MOTHER BOARD :)

LA_MERC_goose
March 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
WooT .... I KNOW HOW TO KILL A MOTHER BOARD :)
Figure out to kill kudzu and you'll be rich. As for my motherboard, I don't want you hiking your leg up and peeing on it, ok! lol

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==