PDA

View Full Version : good cable modem?

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
is there a big difference between cable modems ?
yes i finally will have "real" internet again so u betta watch out.
i was gonna buy a modem ,any suggestions,or anything i should look for.
thx

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
just get the modem that comes with your cable internet service....other than that ....dunno...

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 12:45 PM
nah its 100$ if i get the modem from cox.if i install it myself i can save at least 50$.

SweetGirL
March 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Henk, I just bought a new modem over the weekend; I got tired of paying $10 a month to Cox for a rental. In the long-run, we save money by purchasing one outright. The Cox Communications here in College Station is selling a new one for $50; I purchased one, however, from Wal-Mart for around $56 (Motorolla SB5100). I noticed at Best Buy that they have a modem alot cheaper then that but with a bunch of mail-in rebates (you fork out about $75, but after all the mail-in rebates, it takes the price down to about $35). I don't "do" mail-in rebates any longer.......they irritate me, because they take forever to get them processed, etc etc. Just a thought. ~Sam~

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
The Motorolla sb5100 is what Cox's uses anyway

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
does that mean that one is good though?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Its the lastest model of the Motorola Surfboard. I've had a Motorola surfboard cable modem for almost 5 years (Different models) and they have always been good to me.

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
thx tobi

npor
March 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I have the SB5100 also. Nothing ever went wrong with it and it supports up to 100Mbit connection.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I agree with Op and Npor. They are good modems. I have had mine for nearly 4 years now and it works like a champ.

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM
BellSouth adsl modem is free..........

www.fastaccess.com

Well, free with a 12 month commitment. But just think, you have professional engineering suppport (Diesel and myself)

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have the SB5100 also. Nothing ever went wrong with it and it supports up to 100Mbit connection.

Okay, live in the now. ;)
COMPBB is still about 5-6 years away.

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM
"Well, free with a 12 month commitment. But just think, you have professional engineering suppport (Diesel and myself)"
thx for the offer ,but i have to say im tiered of dsl ,which i had before.it may have been the router or modem but the connection wasnt all that great for the buck.
well now since they disconnected our "free" cable tv ,we just decided to get the bundle with internet and 160 channels of which i might watch 3.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I'l have to give props to Dirge and Diesel. I ran a motorola sufboard for almost 5 years and never had a problem and becasue of my location I was just about the only one on my network for that area so the connection was top notch. I would spike on some downloads into the high 400's. I have recently gone to Fastaccess Extreme ADSl and the connection is great. I do miss the ability to always be on. ADSL will disconnect for some reason if left idle for too long but it takes 5 secs and I'm connected and back running. With the bundle package of ADSL, local, long distance, and Directv all packaged together you save tons of money. Thanks Robby and Mike for hooking a brother up.

HENK
March 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I didnt know they have tv too.hmmm,hook a brother up:)

npor
March 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I used to have the 3Mbit Xtreme ADSL package from Bellsouth but it was a little slow and my area, and cheaper to get a deal from Charter.

Nyc.Coqui
March 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
O09oo0oo0o0 I got my nice pretty Motorola Surfboard modem Its Pretty Its Black and it glows green and blue and....i can hook up my phone to it!!!!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==