PDA

View Full Version : New guitar recordings...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Just recorded w/ my PC mic - sound quality isn't the best, but here are some files of my playing my new guitar :)

Enjoy!

Wildwood Flower (a little different than how I played it before)
www.lamerc.com/uploads/ww.mp3

Ballad of Jed Clampett
www.lamerc.com/uploads/jc.mp3

Dixie
www.lamerc.com/uploads/dixie.mp3

My Old Kentucky Home
www.lamerc.com/uploads/kh.mp3

My attempt at Shenandoah (still working this out)
www.lamerc.com/uploads/shan.mp3

LA_MERC_Nutria
February 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Wow man that sounds really good. How long you been playing?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks man....

Been playing since I was 4 (will be 25 in April).

LA_MERC_Nutria
February 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
So if I would want to start I would have a looooong way to go.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Damn man.....just wow.

You need to take that talent, combine it with your current sitation and parlay it into some $$$. I betting it wouldn't be that difficult. I'm not joking. Can you diversify your selections? Add some classical or jazz? Even your crappy set up sounds like it was through AT LEAST a digi 4 track.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Can you diversify your selections?

Sure...I've just been in a "Bluegrass" mood lately :) It's my comfort music so to speak.

As far as turning it into $$$, I would if I knew how. I've always run into the "you gotta know someone" to get anywhere thing.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Sure...I've just been in a "Bluegrass" mood lately :) It's my comfort music so to speak.

As far as turning it into $$$, I would if I knew how. I've always run into the "you gotta know someone" to get anywhere thing.

1 word....

media

npor
February 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
I really like the Wildwood Flower song.

Do you ever do vocal?

I want to hear you do AKUS - Oh brother where art thou (also known as Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow, from the movie.)

Well, I guess you would need more than just a guitar :rolleyes:

LA_MERC_Shadow
February 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Sounds great, Max. Thanks for sharing.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
February 23rd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hey Jayson, you sound like you have great talent. You just need to be aggresive. With as little talent as I have I managed to get into a group and play for local bars and events. We played everything from classic rock, country, contemporary, alternative rock, some jazz, and even some bluegrass. It started as something fun and we first would play for local bars just for free drinks then I guess we sounded pretty good and they started paying us. It was very fun. I think I'm close to getting into a band here to start it up again. I would love to hear you play some contemporary. I don't know how it is in your area but here in the south we always end up playing a lot of Skynard, Zepplin, Eagles, Bad Company, CCR, Marshal Tucker. I would always though in some of my favorites like Collective Soul and Matchbox 20. I was hard pressed to get my band to play things like AC\DC and metalicca as they were all about 10 years older than I was but I can tell you from experience that if you have just a little talent (and you seem to have a lot) it's very easy. What setup are you using to record. My PC mic is horrible at picking up my guitar.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
February 23rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Sounds good dude! Wish I had that talent!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 09:17 PM
Henry - whenever you wanna learn, I got a "Backpacker" with your name on it :)

Guitar is MUCH more relaxing than Tromobne!

|Team Moped| Kripto
February 23rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
Guitar is MUCH more relaxing than Tromobne!

Yeah, but they have cords.... They are the devel when you grow up reading one note at a time (Alto Sax)

LA_MERC_Nutria
February 23rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
My fiance wants to know if you can play Here Comes the Sun.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Sure thing Nutria. I'm gonna record some more stuff tomorrow. I'll do some more "rock" oriented stuff, let say:

Here Comes the Sun
Hotel California
Dust in the Wind

Any other "requests"?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, but they have cords.... They are the devel when you grow up reading one note at a time (Alto Sax)

I'm assuming you mean Chords. Although some guitars have cords too, but those are those new fangled electric doohickeys played with elastic feeling strings :)

Well, when I'm playing Jazz on the Trombone, I'm playing chords, perhaps one note at a time, but all Jazz solos are built apon a chord/scale progression. Only one note at a time may be coming out of the horn, but there are vertical meanings to each note, as well as horizontal. Multiphonics are also cool on Trombone (playing a note, singing a fifth higher, and getting the sound of a major triad).

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
npor, I can do ya an instrumental version of "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow"...

BTW that song was around nearly 50 years at least before that movie was ever concived. It was originally recorded by the Stanly Brothers, who sang "Angel Band" in the closing credits and on the Soundtrack of the movie.

Exotica
February 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
very impressive, definitely talented!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 23rd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Multiphonics are also cool on Trombone (playing a note, singing a fifth higher, and getting the sound of a major triad).

YEA... What he said???????? :dunno

|Team Moped| Kripto
February 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Jazz is the best, unfortunately since I started going to college i haven't had the chance to keep up on playing the sax. But it's pretty sad that i understood what you just said completely. Coltrane had the odd ability to play more then one note on his sax at a time, but it's not the same as reading two lines of music when you play the piano in different clefts at the same time. yuck!

Maximus
February 24th, 2005, 08:37 AM
good stuff man! I agree with Andy on the aggressive thing...just start sending stuff to labels and what not...also, look into showcases...Alot of people just do the instrumental thing and don't sing vocals...Check into it!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 24th, 2005, 09:59 AM
but it's not the same as reading two lines of music when you play the piano in different clefts at the same time. yuck!
Moped - when I get "stuck" playing piano - usually as an accompanist for my little cousin at solo and ensemble, I just read the right hand and make up a bass part for the left hand...lmao.

HENK
February 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
very impressive !!!!
i don t know how it is where u live ,but if u would be in new orleans u could make a good living as a musician ,playing at different clubs or even restaurants .well u would have to adjust to what style they wanna hear ,but u till doing music.somebody how lives in the same house as i do plays piona for several jazz and blues bands around the city ,and on a good night he makes like 400$.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 24th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Go ahead and rub it in henk :)

I've been wanting to go to NOLA for a long time. I could make a decent living in Nashville or Austin as well...but alas...

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Stop crying and start moving....

HENK
February 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
grap ur guitar and jump on the next train ...

LA_MERC_Diesel
February 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
yeah grap it!!!
whatever the German says... :p:

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Excellent as always Max. You really need to think about taking advantage of your talent... But you know the way I feel.

Godspeed.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
February 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Damn Jayson. I haven't played Dust in the wind in ages. I recorded a blurb of me last night playing it but like I said, my headset mic sucks at picking up my acoustical electric and I have no way of pluggin in to the computer. How do you get your recordings to sound so clean. Do you do any kind of over lay or anything. What about reverb or echo or even a slight delay. Very clean sound. I'm anxious to see how you pay this song. I start in C and switch back and forth from it to A minor with a little pinky work and it sounds just like Kansas's version. What do you think.

http//:www.lamerc.com/uploads/dustinthewind.wav

LA_MERC_Andyconda
February 24th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Well thats not working, Toby could you attach that right for me. dustinthewind.wav file in uploads.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Well, Andy, the guitar I'm playing is a Martin Dred with adirondack spruce top and rosewood back and sides, made in 1972, and I think it would sound good recorded with a $2 mic over the phone, but I'm using my Plantroncis Headset and Wavelab to record whatever I've recordeed.

BTW, dust in the wind is just going back and forth from
C to Cmaj7, Cmaj9, to C, then to Amin, to Amin9, Amin13 to Amin back to C, G, Amin, G, F, Dmin, Amin, then start all over.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Andy is there anyway you can save your DITW version in a mp3 format so it will be smaller...I'm sure a .wav will be huge, and I'm on dialup.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM
BTW, dust in the wind is just going back and forth from
C to Cmaj7, Cmaj9, to C, then to Amin, to Amin9, Amin13 to Amin back to C, G, Amin, G, F, Dmin, Amin, then start all over.

quit it...its too early for theory

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM
stop whining :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==