PDA

View Full Version : Job hunt

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 22nd, 2005, 08:13 AM
No, this isn't a competition...this is a call for information:

Does anyone have any contacts (working on my network here) in Washington, DC or any of the surrounding areas (we're talking anywhere from southern MD (Frederick and south) to Virginia (McLean, Reston, Herndon, Chantilly etc) here) that work in the IT field?

Let me know.

LT

[sG] Dutchman
February 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
I have a job for somone here to sit and gard my tolite my dad seems to take it all the time so I can't go to the bathroom pay = $0 :)

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
February 22nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
OK Dutch. Not funny.

Daedelus
February 22nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
hey ill talk to some of the IT guys at my work that are friends and see if they have any openings at some of the Va. hospitals back there should get some answers soon.I ll also go on there gov. web site see if they got any listngs aswell.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 23rd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks Daed...I appreciate it.

LA_MERC_goose
February 23rd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Hey, Lt, don't know if this will help any but I'll see if there is anything else I can find.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/

I did get an email for an IT position today but it's in Denver and that would be a hell-of-a commute everyday.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
February 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
It will be difficult for anyone to get a gov't job unless:
1. They previously worked for the gov't
2. Was a veteran
3. Was Executively appointed
4. Have an extremely qualified skilled that they are specifically looking for.

LA_MERC_goose
February 23rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
And your point is? Are you saying LT isn't qualified to work for the government? HUH? What are you trying to say? I'm working for the government and I don't fall into any of those categories - ok, maybe number 4 but I think LT can fall into that category as well as some of the other peps here. What's your point?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
February 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Geez take it ez, i'm just giving you a heads up. My wife works in HR for the gov't

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah, of the 4, I would only fit in category 4 (thanks for the back-up, gooser!). I've noticed that they abse it on a points scale...so that makes it just a bit more interesting. Thanks to both of ya!

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
February 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
That's the whole point, that points system screws you unless you have previous gov't employment or are a veteran. They will give the job to the veteran even if you are more qualified.
Working for the gov't is great, the time is pretty flexible but the pay you can't compare with the private sector.
Is there a type of job you are specifically looking for, I can ask my cousin who works for the DoD.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
February 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
Hey Scott, micros has a nice Corp. headquaters in Columbia maryland (about 30 min from D.C.) I know a couple people there, 1 or 2 high up the food chain. check out their openings to see if anything fits you:

http://www.micros.com/careers/job_listings/region_list_na.asp

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==