PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM Problem

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Ok,

So...a student brought me the computer I built for him and said that there was a loud bang in it last night when he was working on the computer. I opened up the case and didn't see anything wrong, so I took out the parts one by one and heard this noise when I put the case on it's side. I set it back up and heard it again...and it was coming from the CD ROM. I take the CD ROM out and turn it over to hear all sorts of noises from inside it.

So, I open up the CD ROM and what do I see?! (See pictures)

Yes, that's right...the CD that he had been working on exploded...and not just a little bit. There were pieces of CD ALL OVER the inside of the drive. I just finished cleaning it out and am about to reinstall it...who knows if it's going to work.

-LT

}{y|3ri|)
December 14th, 2004, 08:23 AM
a moment of silence for that CD....

w00t that was ubar!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 14th, 2004, 08:23 AM
lol, that is strange....was he doing some thermal tests and the disk could't take the heat/cold...hehehe

LA_MERC_goose
December 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Exploding media rulz!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM
I saw that just the other day at work.

Poor CD's...just couldn't cut it!

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
He's a spy on a secret mission!

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM
*insert Mission Impossible music*
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to put this CD back together with tape so it will work again...

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 14th, 2004, 09:48 AM
There is a great Myth busters episode when they test this "myth" of an exploding cd...they found it to be true (obviously). Normally it was when there was a crack in the cd, or when the cd is warped. They most fun they had though is when the cd is going at full speed, you start to slow down, then speed back up then it explodes. They hooked up a cd to a hand grinder and would unplug it and plug it right back in again and the thing would incinerate. They had way too much fun doing that….

So it may be the media that caused it, or the other answer that they came up with is if there was a surge/malfunction in the cdrom where it cut out for a split second and then accelerated back up again it would osculate and go boom

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Wow......

LA_MERC_Onji
December 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
that happend to me with my original tribes 2 cd :(

it was like *buzzzzzzzzzz CLANK!*

it shattered. I guess the cdrom was unbalanced or something

cd
December 14th, 2004, 12:30 PM
/me changes mind about LaTech building my next pc.

SnAkEbItE
December 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Sounds like to me that, "Tim The Tool Man" has been tweaking that drive a little..

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Hey now! It wasn't my fault! Although, I HAVE taken apart a CD ROM and removed the LED and the switch so that it would be opened from a remote (outside the CD ROM case) switch and the led would light up in the switch...unfortunately, I used the only cable that I had to do it (a phone cable), and I had to use the cable for something else later on. No tweaking was done to that CD ROM!!!

SnAkEbItE
December 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
LOL I love it...

SaBeR512
December 16th, 2004, 09:45 PM
What brand drive was that??

[sG] Dutchman
December 31st, 2004, 08:09 AM
hey latech I got a question I really need help on. When I put cd in my cd drive I hear funny noise too like skipping. I open the drive I look on my cd and there scratches on the top. WHATS wrong is the cd drive shot?

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 31st, 2004, 08:40 AM
The cd itself could be unbalanced. Does it happen to only one CD or to all of them?

[sG] Dutchman
December 31st, 2004, 08:45 AM
it happens with all of them, so what should I do?

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 31st, 2004, 08:50 AM
Get a new CD Rom...There is a tray inside the CD ROM that holds the CD, and a reader on rails, and the whole mechanism sits on some shock absorber type things. If the CD ROM itself becomes unbalanced, it will start to eat CD's. Also, there may be something jammed in there (if you have a younger brother or sister...I would look into that first). You can shut down the comptuer and pull the CD ROM to see if there's anything inside

[sG] Dutchman
December 31st, 2004, 08:53 AM
ok I will check

[sG] Dutchman
December 31st, 2004, 09:18 AM
I checked and there is nothing in there. I guess it is unblanced so, do you think I could take it to buestbuy or some other computer store to get it fixed (if possible), or should I just buy new drives?

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM
The amount of time and money that would go into repairing a CD ROM (for all intents and purposes) wouldn't be worth the cost of a new one. Just replace it and be done with it.

-LT

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 31st, 2004, 10:16 AM
new CD rom is around $18 on newegg. or you can get a DVD rom for about $22. why waste time trying to repair an old one and hope it still works?

and Tech, were you "tweaking" the cdrom? thinking "52x??? I bet I can overclock it to atleast 104x read spead!!! that will make this PC soo much faster...."

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 31st, 2004, 12:24 PM
lmao...no. No tweaking on that CD ROM. I'm not sure what the theoretical limit is on reading speed for a CD, but for the most part, I'm content with 52X... ;)

[sG] Dutchman
December 31st, 2004, 02:32 PM
well right now I found something in one cd drive and it works fine right now,but my dvd drive isn't so I have to buy a new one.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==