PDA

View Full Version : Online Friendships...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM
You know, this Internet thing is really something amazing. It's so funny how close friendships can be created and nurtured by typing into a white box on a web site.

I don't know how many web forums you guys frequent, or if they are nearly as tight knit as this one, but I'm a member of a Trombone forum and a Guitar forum besides this one. They are both as tightly knit as this forum is. Easily. The only difference is, I've met most of you guys, and I've never met nor talked to any of the guys on the other forums at all, outside of Email, IM's and the Forum itself.

Now it's story time. On the guitar forum, we have a section where we can post musical projects we are working on - recording and such, and the guys started asking me why I stopped recording and posting, and I then had to explain that...well, I don't have a guitar at the moment. They asked why and I explained my situation. Now, one of the guys on the forum owns a music store, and I had been purchasing all my picks and strings and such from him, so he had my address. Yesterday, out of the blue, UPS shows up at my door and inside the box was a Martin Backpacker, with a note from the guy that owns the music store. He basically said, that although it was just a backpacker, it's something to play, and would help see me though my hard times.

Now for those of you who don't know what a Backpacker is, it's a funny looking little guitar Martin made with mobility and "carry anywhere-ness" in mind. Here is a link: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=z&g=q&m=Steel%20String%20Backpacker%20Guitar

He had also "setup" the Backpacker with Tusq bridge pins and a Bone nut and saddle, and sent along an assortment of really nice expensive Ultex picks and a few sets of various strings.

Now mind you, it's not the best sounding thing in the world - sounds kind of like a cross between a Guitar, Mandolin and Banjo. It has it's own unique little voice, and I do have to say, I've had a blast playing it all night last night and all morning this morning.

It definately will tide me over until I can get a "full size" guitar again, and it's giving me an outlet for my music around the house again.

Those guys made my Christmas with this little backpacker (I've since found out they took up a collection to buy it...probably not much a piece, these things only cost $150 or so).

Just wanted to share the story - back to pickin'.

Now I just got to figure out how to hold this Darn thing comfortably, and I'll be all set. :D

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 11th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Man that is awesome!

npor
December 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Keep it up Max. I too am a member of alot of forums, 6 besides this one. With 2 of them being very small and tight :)

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Well this is the only forum that I am A member of, but never mind that....

MAX, Thats Awsome :) ....

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Excellnet news, Max!!! w00t!!

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 11th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Sounds like ya got some good friends there. awesome

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
December 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM
That's sweet Jayson, it just shows that you have a lot of friends willing to help you out in times of need.

Keep pickin!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM
that's awesome man!

NoXiOuS
December 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Hey guys ::wink wink::, im broke and in need of an awesome computer!! lol ::wink wink::

thats awesome max. keep on rockin.

aCiD
December 12th, 2004, 08:02 PM
gg max! i like backpackers i think they sound kind of neato

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
It does sound neat...but I still haven't figured out how to hold the darn thing comfortably...lol

}{y|3ri|)
December 13th, 2004, 08:37 AM
It does sound neat...but I still haven't figured out how to hold the darn thing comfortably...lol
haha first thing that i thought of when i saw the picture was, "How the heck do you hold that?!"

;)

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM
MAn that's sweet, Hey Max, I have a Yamaha FGX acoustical electric dreadnought and I love to play. What site do you go to for your music. YOu should bring your guitar so we can pick together during the big LAN. We can play late at night when everyone has settled down to catch some zzzzz's. I have a small blazer 158 Peavey amp, that'll wake'e up, heheheheh. I the guys could figure a way to post sounds files I'd record something and post it.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==