PDA

View Full Version : another reason NOT to go to Mexico!!

LA_MERC_Spark
December 10th, 2004, 01:01 PM
ok read this, then check out the link...

Dr. Christina Kwasnica, director of brain injury rehabilitation at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, said in rare cases a parasite, called cystercosis, can cause frontal lobe disinhibition, which can make people do crazy things.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/1209Sun-Roof-Death-ON.html

W....T.....F?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM
"The nature of the incident was completely uncharacteristic of the subdued and often reserved Keogh..."

Isn't that kind of a "DUH!"?

That's pretty wild. Ive got a work related story to share with you guys but Im debating wether its a general or private topic and wether I should include photos or not. It actually puts this guy to shame.

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah, Spark, You can get this disease/condition from pork that's infected with a tape worm called Taenia Solium and it's larvae are the cause of the Cysticercosis when they infect the brain and form cysts.

Hey, wada-u-know, parasitology courses CAN come in handy.

Inferno
December 11th, 2004, 11:15 AM
interesting, I'll have to ask my friend about that parasite, she's the smart one on medical stuff.

PaRaNoiD
December 11th, 2004, 11:19 AM
"climbed out the driver's window of his Mercedes-Benz and stood atop the moving vehicle, arms outstretched.

Witnesses told police that Keogh then jumped from the roof....Keogh rolled and hit a tree before landing on the asphalt on Camelback Road near 68th Street"

if you're gonna go- go all out..

that's awesome.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM
UMMM...

Your Twisted Sheep ???

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 11th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Give him some credit, that takes a lot of skill! Put your car on cruse @ 55mph.... crawl out the window and stand up.... Seriously, i couldn’t do that sober or sane...or both.

I’ve read a lot of studies involving people with the same type of frontal lobe damage that they described in the article. There was a guy that was very famous named Phineas Cage, he had a railroad spike impaled through is eye and out the back side of his brain. He survived but his whole personality changed, he was described as being more aggressive and profane after the accident. (The railroad spike was never removed).

Another guy was affected by a virus and it kept him from learning new things, like in the move memento. He remembered everything leading up to injury but nothing afterwards. Every morning he would wake up in his Nursing home (which he was placed in the late 50s when he was 22) and not know where he was. The same nurse would come in and introduce herself every morning, they would go through the same routine every morning, and he would look in the mirror not recognizing himself, but he would never remember what he had done over the past 30 years. We would think it’s stressful to wake up every morning and not know anything, but to him the stress never got worse because he didn’t know any better. On a lighter note he hated watching the news because he never knew what was going on, but he loved sitcoms because you could watch them all the way to the end even if you didn’t remember the beginning. He also reads the same collection of comics every morning when he has breakfast; they are just as funny the first time he read them!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 11th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Another guy was affected by a virus and it kept him from learning new things, like in the move memento. He remembered everything leading up to injury but nothing afterwards. Every morning he would wake up in his Nursing home (which he was placed in the late 50s when he was 22) and not know where he was. The same nurse would come in and introduce herself every morning, they would go through the same routine every morning, and he would look in the mirror not recognizing himself, but he would never remember what he had done over the past 30 years. We would think it’s stressful to wake up every morning and not know anything, but to him the stress never got worse because he didn’t know any better. On a lighter note he hated watching the news because he never knew what was going on, but he loved sitcoms because you could watch them all the way to the end even if you didn’t remember the beginning. He also reads the same collection of comics every morning when he has breakfast; they are just as funny the first time he read them!

Sounds more like Groundhog Day, although, I've never seen "Memento"

LA_MERC_Spark
December 12th, 2004, 06:40 AM
go rent it ya b00n! It's a pretty good movie!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 12th, 2004, 06:51 AM

LOL! Sounds like the movie 50 first dates.

PaRaNoiD
December 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM
okay kripto? this makes no sense:

"Phineas Cage, he had a railroad spike impaled through is eye and out the back side of his brain. He survived but his whole personality changed, he was described as being more aggressive and profane after the accident."

Uhhhhhh, wouldn't YOU be like MAD and angry afterwards? having to live with a spike through your head? I mean.... cmon.. his personality didn't change- it was THE LARGE METAL OBJECT IN HIS FACE.

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Good point!

I'm stumped.....

Ok, did some more research...

"Some months after the accident, probably in about the middle of 1849, Phineas felt strong enough to resume work. But because his personality had changed so much, the contractors who had employed him would not give him his place again. Before the accident he had been their most capable and efficient foreman, one with a well-balanced mind, and who was looked on as a shrewd smart business man. He was now fitful, irreverent, and grossly profane, showing little deference for his fellows. He was also impatient and obstinate, yet capricious and vacillating, unable to settle on any of the plans he devised for future action. His friends said he was “No longer Gage.”

In 1867 his body was exhumed and they pulled out the spike and it's now on display at Harvard. Every Elementary Psych student learns about him, but Psychology was hardly a science in the 1800's but i still think that his personality change was more then it should have been

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I think having a railroad spike through your head, and living would be kind of cool...
I bet it would suck now a days with metal detectors everywhere though...

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 12th, 2004, 04:03 PM
He probably just had an itch that he couldn't scratch.
You know how aggravating that is!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Seriously, i couldn’t do that sober or sane...or both.
!

Question: When was the last time you were either?

:D :bb :D

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Let's see, I ride a moped with peddles.... it's older then me.... I go to the University of Iowa which as 70 drinking establishments within one mile of campus....I took Latin as a foreign language.... And I think Thundercatz was the best show ever....

It's not looking too good!

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Iowa is going down in Orlando!!!! Death to the cornhawks!

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I’m not so sure about that, if we can get our rushing game off of the injured list we should be in good shape. And Its the Hawkeyes.... Herky's the tigerhawk is the man!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
why does everything have to be about LSU?

I have a similar problem as that guy with the unusual metal in the head....when i was born, i was granted with an unusually large peni.......nevermind.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Silly canuck, you just don't understand. :stick

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==