PDA

View Full Version : sea sickness from video game?

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 2nd, 2004, 10:12 PM
OMG, I can't play HL2 because I get to the point of having to vomit (literally) after about a minute of playing...wth?

is this normal, or am I just wacked?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 2nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
when i first got my 21" CRT, I felt like that playing any game, but I got used to it...

Apocalypse
December 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
lol Al...my roomy is the same way with some video games. Like in grade school, he wouldnt be able to play Golden 007 on n64 because he would get dizzy! man, he missed out on a lot of playing lol

[uGa] Saint
December 2nd, 2004, 11:50 PM
nah, i think its common in games that move around a whole bunch, they have medicine (might be over the counter??) that can settle your stomach... but you shouldnt have to take drugs just to play a video game...

SgtJeff
December 3rd, 2004, 01:19 AM
it happens...I felt a little bit of it too after playing for a bit...I have never felt that before. There have been documented cases of people having seizures due to strobe lights and things like that. It might be due to the back lighting (programming) of the game.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Sabre, go turn vsync back on and try it out again. That has been known to help some people. Also, you could try Dramamine...it's for motion sickness.

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM
Try this it helped for me. Turn on the lights in the room and sit back away from the monitor a little more. Seeing all the things on your desk should help.

eNdOfBeGinNinG
December 3rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
wow thats just crazy. I have heard about it before, but not this bad. I hope you can get over it lol, cause other wise that kinda sucks!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 06:04 AM
lol, yeah it does suck.

It happened to me before when I first started playing cs, but it never got to the point where I had to run to the bathroom. It mostly happened when I died and then wad spectating on someone. I already sit as far back from the monitor as I can, so that won't help.

I'll try turning vsync on, maybe that'll help.......man I can't believe how bad I felt from playing a freakn' video game...lol

LA_MERC_goose
December 3rd, 2004, 06:40 AM
You know, old age may be a factor too. lol :D

Corona
December 3rd, 2004, 07:00 AM
hey you might want to try this... i know there are commands in CS that turn off that "natural bobbing up and down" with your gun... i had a friend that would get sick off of his guy bobbing up and down and had to turn that feature off... i dont remember the setting but im sure you can find it somewhere... and im sure there are settings like that in half-life2... oh btw it was a console command not in "settings".

-Corona

MindWerks
December 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
The only people I know of that suffered from that sort of thing were epileptic in some way. The flickering of the monitor messed them up. Could be your PC just hits that frequency that bothers you. Try getting the frequency up.

Slayer
December 3rd, 2004, 11:18 AM
I experienced something similar when I first started playing CS, but I never had to make a mad dash to the porcelin. LoL

Hope it gets better man.

LA_MERC_BS
December 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
I used to get a little bit of it with my old Vidio card. After I got my new one, it all stopped. That was two years ago. Its starting to happen to me again. MAybe it's time for a new card.

npor
December 3rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
If the resolution you play at doesn't allow your monitor to do 75+hz refresh, bump it down and try to do 75, or the highest it can go. Hope this helps.

Nyc.Coqui
December 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Wow i never heard of people getting sick from big monitors and stuff...weird...

Try putting on a light and eat something..?>

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 3rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Last night i started playing thorough HALF LIFE 2 for the second time on hard settings, but for the first parts of the game I flew threw so fast that I made myself sick... I got Nausiated.. I think it was because I rushed through so much of the game so fast that made me sick... Funny this same thing happend to you on the same day...:)

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
I've heard of this happening a lot, but most of the people said that putting on lights and keeping the volume low helped. Dramamine might help but it's also going to make you tired, your reactions slower, and it may blur your vision. The rapid changes in lighting are what mainly cause the nausea, same with the seizures (i.e. photosensitive epilepsy). This can also be brought on by watching cartoons, the nausea and seizures; It happened in Japan awhile back like 680 people were affected.
Are you nervous about something or stress? These are often contributing factors.

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
lol shadowtiger, I'm probably one of the most least stressed people I know. Thanks for all the input everyone, I'll try each and every suggestion until I get it right (hopefully!). If not....I wasted 50 bucks on HL2...:(

Of course I can play Source though!!!

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Just play that part of the game with your eyes closed.

Slayer
December 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
...or just send it to me :D

SgtJeff
December 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM
What was that Corona said about liking to bob up and down...sorri, couldnt resist. I h4x...okay back on topic.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM
:offtopic :twak

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 5th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Are you getting a dizzy weird floating feeling like everything is moving except the screen?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==