PDA

View Full Version : JOB

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM
Anyone out there with an I.T. or CIS degree or whatever you call the degree needed to be the hardware and software person for a company. My company is looking to hire a full time person to handle all the hardware and software issues for the company. If you interested reply with some basic info to this post. The job is in Bay Minette, Alabama where I work (kinda scary thinking one of you could be my IT guy at work). Anyway let me know.

By the way Sabre. The are very close to hiring the Engineering Systems Manager so they should be contacting you soon.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM
Andy,

I'm looking for a job, but I want to move North...sorry man!

LT

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM
Well unless your a Senior Network Engineer in NYC, the money isn't enough to cover expenses.

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 1st, 2004, 06:06 PM
By the way Sabre. The are very close to hiring the Engineering Systems Manager so they should be contacting you soon.

w00ty w00t!!

[uGa] Saint
December 1st, 2004, 11:37 PM
Hope it works out for ya Sabre!!

|Team Moped| Kripto
December 1st, 2004, 11:53 PM
Wow...You guys really help eachother out around here!

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 2nd, 2004, 08:01 AM
It is what being in MERC is all about!!
we are far more than a CS clan!!

LA_MERC_goose
December 2nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
I don't know if I could stand being in the same general location as Andy for more than a weekend.

}{y|3ri|)
December 2nd, 2004, 08:39 AM
I don't know if I could stand being in the same general location as Andy for more than a weekend.
"stand" being the key word there because andy would probley make you drink untill you fall over..

Andy give me the job, have them pay for my move, and ill send over my application.

;p

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
It is what being in MERC is all about!!
we are far more than a CS clan!!

DOUBLE WOOT!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Ok here is the Job description as far as my HR manager could tell. A computer person to handle hardware and software issues for the company. She thinks this just means, installing and setting up computers and network stuff as leases come up and help out around with anyone who is computer illiterate (kinda like me, Uber Delete). She hasn't got the paperwork from corporate that lists the official title or requirements but she does think they would hire someone without a 4 year degree but that it would be preferred. As a side note hybrid, I got a great relocation package to come here. Also, I'm sorry Sabre but the engineering manager wanted someone with more HVAC experience than you had.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Andy - you got my PM and Email - right?

MindWerks
December 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
What is the pay scale?

Just out of curiosity... :)

I've done just about everything computer related. IC development, HW interfacing, High level programming, and even have security clearance for many military programs.

Currently I'm a developer working on Oracle ERP type stuff for my company, but I'd move if the price is attractive enough. LOL

}{y|3ri|)
December 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
a degree in the computer world just shows the discipline of the person, not the knowledge of computers...

example, Bob graduated with a 4 year MIS degree from Yale... in 1945.
John graduated with a degree in basket weaving, but is current in all Microsoft / A+/ Networking / certifications as of last year.

guess who gets the job.

I just dont like the way people hire from documents, not the person. Maybe thats just because i have to go get a document first in order to even be considered for any type of well paying job, when im doing 3xs the work of anyone that does have a degree in my "field"... whatever that is.. Im working on international software testing, web development/design/marketing, customer sales/service/tech support calls, International Partners Liaison... but i cant get a job installing software on computers cause i dont have a degree... not ranting at you andy, just ticked off that im doing a hella lot of work today and not gettin paid enough for it.

/rant off

LA_MERC_goose
December 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Janet, cause she's got nice legs?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
a degree in the computer world just shows the discipline of the person, not the knowledge of computers...

example, Bob graduated with a 4 year MIS degree from Yale... in 1945.
John graduated with a degree in basket weaving, but is current in all Microsoft / A+/ Networking / certifications as of last year.

guess who gets the job.

I just dont like the way people hire from documents, not the person. Maybe thats just because i have to go get a document first in order to even be considered for any type of well paying job, when im doing 3xs the work of anyone that does have a degree in my "field"... whatever that is..

/rant off

AMEN!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm very close to having my degree, but it will not do me any good in my chosen profession, unless I just go start all over again, as my major was History with a minor in Music...

/sigh

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
}{, you forgot to turn the rant on...sheesh, and you call your self a coder. ;)

I agree, though. Real world experience is better, in some instances, than "book knowledge". Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean that they are better suited for a job than someone else...I can think of one guy I worked with at a local computer store that tried to cut pins off a cPU to make it fit in the socket...He now works in France (thank God!). The point is...he has a degree and is a complete idiot, where as one of my good friends has no degree and is VERY knowledgeable about many things dealing with computers (and I would never expect him to try and cut pins off a CPU!).

Also, it REALLY depends on what the guy from 1945 has done for the last 60 years. If he sat on his booty and did nothing, the degree was a waste of time. If, however, he worked in the field and made improvements and increased his knowledge base...then he MAY be more qualified.

It's all relative.

MindWerks
December 3rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
Well I agree and disagree to an extent.

In the end the job market has always been like that. It's just the computer industry was able to get away from that during the "Golden Age" because they were so desperate for workers.

Now that there isn't AS high as a demand you have to have a formal education if you are serious about a career in the field.

If you were a company that hired doctors. Who would you hire first, the doctor with 3 years of exp and a formal education at a leading school or the guy that has been playing doctor for 3 years? Sounds harsh, but it's the reality of the situation.

LA_MERC_goose
December 3rd, 2004, 07:58 AM
I still say Jane gets the job because of her legs. :D

}{y|3ri|)
December 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
lol goose

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Come on H. Here's how it goes and don't be mad at me for telling you how the big bad world works. I've been in the private sector for about 8 years now and I can tell you this. They will always hire for letters. There is a great book that was written called "A man without letters". It basically tells the story of why industry hires for degree and not experience. The sum of it is simply state of mind and not actual knowledge. They prefer someone who has spent many years gettig a degree becuase it shows commitment to following orders, schedules, and deadlines. Now don't get me wrong. College is not for everyone. I have seen some really smart people without degrees. On the other hand I have seen a lot of people that were dumber than a bag of hammers get some very technical degrees. In the end the paper will get you in the door but your ability and knowledge will keep you there. From my own experience college is well worth it. I basically sit in a comfortable chair all day in a climate controlled environment designing and 3D modeling parts for large compressors. Very easy work and with great (and I mean great) pay and benefits. I'm a big advocate of staying in college and getting a degree because I've seen first hand the benefits of such. People without degrees always ***** and moan about people with degrees getting all the jobs. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. My advise is to buck up and get a degree. That being said the job I've listed does not actually require a degree. If you can write a convincing well written resume and interview well I'm sure you could get the job.

Anthony (Andy) D. Bell, BSME EIT-PEMI (Design Engineer) (had to throw my letters in there, working on the PE and MBA addition which will really up my pay, woohoo)

My wife's is better than mine she is

Candace A. Bell, M.A.,CCC-A (Clinical Audiologist)

roXet
December 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
heh, come see the place where I work. We have some of the newest and coolest telecom equipment there is, and its' run by a bunch of college dropouts. =)

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
Alan Jaschke, BSME E.I.T

soon to add MBA and PE as well

btw what the heck does PEMI mean?? Penus enlargement mandatory Implanted?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 3rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
Scott Nichols HSD (high school diploma)

make about 80k yr...not too bad for a retard. :D

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM
80k? isn't that poverty level in california :)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
They had MIS Degree's in 1945?!?!?!

}{y|3ri|)
December 3rd, 2004, 12:21 PM
lol was just making a point max, =-)

And andy i agree with everything you said, and i know that is the reason... its just fun to rant about it when your having a ****ty day at work. ;)

LA_MERC_goose
December 3rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Alan McCormick, BSCS

And that really means I'm good at bull sh.... my way throught Counter Strike.

SnAkEbItE
December 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Well I have been in this industry for over 14 years now, and I had worked for the same company for 14 years. Here is the problem, they changed their policy. They used to have the requirement to advance up in to the Tec support area and or manual writing department with our company you had to have at least 5 years of real world environment. I worked towards that and after about 6 years I started applying for those jobs as they opened up. Now keep in mind while out here in the field I kept up to date with certification's that applied to my field such as A+, and certified on several different company's warranty requirements such as Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM. They started with the policy of you had to have a Bachelor’s in IT to be qualified for those positions. The funny part was you could call up there and the new hired idiots could not answer any tech questions. They could read to you out of the manuals but, could not offer any real world suggestions. I had in excess of 30 different techs in the south that would call me on a daily basis for answers to problems. I decided right there that I no longer fit that company's profile. I now work for a company that yes the papers are nice but, they recognize that real world experience is far more valuable commodity. Not to mention that they gave me over 10K pay increase and a company van. Now I'm a network admin for several large financial businesses. It's a blast and I enjoy it far much more cause it's more challenging and they are also paying for me to get my Network + and then my CCNA certification.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Very true guys and I totally under stand about bad days H. As for CFH, You're a cop right, so the 80k a year figure seems a little off. We're not talking kilos, we're talking 10's of thousands of dollars, but if it makes you feel better my wife and I combined will probably make around (wait a minute I need my calculator) somehwere in the proximatey of 160k to 170k this year.

P.S. But ,most of that will go towards her new house. Damn that woman can spend money.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
That does it, you're definitely buying the beer tomorrow during golf!

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
yeah no kidding, and you're buying me my new video card too!

I'm way down here approaching 60K

LA_MERC_Yankee
December 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
That does it, you're definitely buying the beer tomorrow during golf!

I was thinking a little more than just tomorrow Dirge. I think we should get an open bar tab for life with those kind of numbers.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Well first of all you guys know how Candace spends money so it's not like I'm stashing it away burying it in the back yard. Also keep in mind that is a dual income not just mine. Do I also need to remind you that I have 2 kids and the 3 births we went through in the last several years were all very expensive plus Candace and I had no help from parents in paying for college so we're still paying for that, I also have had no help from parents or in-laws in buying my house either. I did not marry rich. Do I need to get on my soap box here boys, plus that's our recent projection since moving here to Alabama. I've only lived here 5 months so I'm not that well off YET. Damn you vultures I'm just trying to help out one of these IT guys and you leeches (mooches) come out of the woodwork. I thought we were all Republicans here. I'm not a government tit boys. I will however buy you guys some beer. Did I not also mention that I would be bring a lot of Bloody Mary's for the Golf round tomorrow. Hey Robby at the last Saints game did I not pick up the tab for you, your girls friend, her son, and your Mom. I'm a generous man but holy cow give a brother a chance.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
P.S. Al didn't I tell you that I would GIVE you my EVGA Nvidia Gforce 4 Ti4600 128 meg video card, for FREE. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield. I get No Resoect.

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
lmao Andy, should I give my story now? ok then....

I'm a recent graduate from good ole LA TECH (no not our LATECH), about 2 yrs now. I also have 2 kids plus one on the way...paying my way through MBA right now, not to mention the 30 grand in student loans from my BSME, add another 20 or so onto that for MBA. My mom is just about in the poor house so no help from her, and I haven't spoke to my dad in about 7 years or so. Yes my wife could work and make around 40K but she stays home to take care of the kids, a decision that we made together.

Yes Andy I do remember you said that and I will gladly accept that Nvidia card..w00t!

I may even be able to spring for a beer or two in Feb....lol

who's next?

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
I don't care about all that, just buy some d@mn beers! lol

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 3rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Hell, I'm not even out of school and my school loans are already topping $150K. That what being a lifetime student will get ya.

Yammer Hammer!
December 4th, 2004, 02:54 AM
hahahahahaha that is so funny. (mooches) good luck on all that andy. just remember the best thing to do is forget your wallet! lmao

Sergei Criffnoobsky
December 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM
i;m affraid to say that as a student and in the military I make only 15k a year.... :(

LA_MERC_Drax
December 4th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Well, i got you all beat....as a student, make go in debt about 4k a year...now theres an income to drink to ;)

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Andy, is there a link with all the pertinent info? Where it is, job duties, pay, benifits etc?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==