PDA

View Full Version : Only in America

Slayer
November 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Things Found Only in America

1. Only in America......can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.
2. Only in America......are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.
3. Only in America......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
4. Only in America......do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet Coke.
5. Only in America......do banks leave both doors to the vault open and then chain the pens to the counters.
6. Only in America......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.
7. Only in America......do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.
8. Only in America......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.
9. Only in America......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.
10. Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

PaRaNoiD
November 27th, 2004, 08:37 PM
ahahaha
thankgod im canadian ;)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 27th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Things Found Only in America

10. Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.
Only in America...do they say ATM machine when ATM Stands for Automated Teller Machine, so ultimatley we are saying "Automated Teller Machine Machine".

Slayer
November 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM
You just be happy I haven't found a clean Canadian joke yet, Sheep! :)

LA_MERC_Shadow
November 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM
']Only in America...do they say ATM machine when ATM Stands for Automated Teller Machine, so ultimatley we are saying "Automated Teller Machine Machine".
You mean like we say tuna fish?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 28th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Or NIC Card "Network Interface Card Card"
or
"People in the audience"?? Why not simply "the audience"? Isn't it redundant?
Sometimes people get their colloquial phrases confused, and sometimes they think their version makes sense. I'm wondering if other people have noticed such things, and possibly collected them in the dust bin of their memories, as I have.

For example, when changing plans, someone might say, "Let's try a new tact." This sort of makes sense, because plans might be tactics, but of course the phrase is supposed to be "new tack," a sailing metaphor.

Another example: "that peaked my interest," as if it brought my interest to a new height. The phrase is "piqued my interest."

One guy I knew didn't quite get the phrase, "I'd just as soon do X as do Y." He thought it was, "I'd just assume." Again, it sort of makes sense; one might assume that he would do one, but he might do the other.

There are various misuses of the words that sound like "sight": instead of "cite a reference," some assume you should "sight a reference" (makes sense, you look for it) or "site a reference" (you find a place for it in your bibliography).

Another thing that bothers me are redundant phrases, after acronymes, i.e., "I need to stop by the ATM machine", which in reality means, "I need to stop by the Automatic Teller Machine machine".

Other perhaps less used examples would be:
AC current (Alternating Current): also DC current (Direct Current)

RF frequency (Radio Frequency): as opposed, for example, to audio frequencies.

SAT test (Scholastic Aptitude Test)

START Treaty: (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty)

HIV virus

TCP/IP protocol and its cousins the POP, IMAP and SMTP protocols.

OPEC countries (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries)

the NATO organization (North Atlantic Treaty Organization)

EMP pulse (Electro-Magnetic Pulse)

the DMZ zone (De-Militarized Zone)

GUI (pronounced gooey) interface (Graphical User Interface). Also SCSI interface: (Small Computer Systems Interface).

RISC computers (Restricted Instruction Set Computer)

LCD Display (Liquid Crystal Display)

ICU unit (Intensive Care Unit)

PHRASES YOU CAN OMIT
Be on the lookout for phrases that sound important but add little or nothing to the meaning of a sentence. Such phrases put a reader on guard that the writer is indulging in nonsense; worse, they put a reader to sleep.

Many but not all of these unnecessary phrases have been taken from Quick Access: Reference for Writers by Lynn Quitman Troyka. Simon & Schuster: New York. 1995. The examples, however, are our own. No political inferences should be drawn from these examples; they are merely models of form.

all things considered All things considered, Connecticut's woodlands are in better shape now than ever before.
All things considered, Connecticut's woodlands are in better shape now than ever before.
as a matter of fact As a matter of fact, there are more woodlands in Connecticut now than there were in 1898.
as a matter of fact, There are more woodlands in Connecticut now than there were in 1898.
as far as I'm concerned As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for further protection of woodlands.
As far as I'm concerned, there There is no need for further protection of woodlands.
at the present time This is because there are fewer farmers at the present time.
This is because there are fewer farmers now.
because of the fact that Woodlands have grown in area because of the fact that farmers have abandoned their fields.
Woodlands have grown in area because farmers have abandoned their fields.
by means of Major forest areas are coming back by means of natural processes.
Major forest areas are coming back through natural processes. (or naturally)
by virtue of the fact that Our woodlands are coming back by virtue of the fact that our economy has shifted its emphasis.
Our woodlands are coming back by virtue of the fact that because our economy has shifted its emphasis.
due to the fact that Due to the fact that their habitats are being restored, forest creatures are also re-establishing their population bases.
Due to the fact that Because their habitats are being restored, forest creatures are also re-establishing their population bases.
exists The fear that exists among many people that we are losing our woodlands is uncalled for.
The fear that exists among many people that we are losing our woodlands is uncalled for.
for all intents and purposes The era in which we must aggressively defend our woodlands has, for all intents and purposes, passed.
The era in which we must aggressively defend our woodlands has, for all intents and purposes, passed.
for the most part For the most part, people's suspicions are based on a misunderstanding of the facts.
For the most part, pPeople's suspicions are based on a misunderstanding of the facts.
for the purpose of Many woodlands, in fact, have been purchased for the purpose of creating public parks.
Many woodlands, in fact, have been purchased for the purpose of creating as public parks.
have a tendency to This policy has a tendency to isolate some communities.
This policy has a tendency tends to isolate some communities.
in a manner of speaking The policy has, in a manner of speaking, begun to Balkanize the more rural parts of our state.
The policy has, in a manner of speaking, begun to Balkanize the more rural parts of our state.
in a very real sense In a very real sense, this policy works to the detriment of those it is supposed to help.
In a very real sense, this This policy works to the detriment of those it is supposed to help.
in my opinion In my opinion, this wasteful policy ought to be revoked.
In my opinion, thisThis wasteful policy ought to be revoked.
in the case of In the case of this particular policy, citizens of northeast Connecticut became very upset.
Citizens of northeast Connecticut became very upset about his policy.
in the final analysis In the final analysis, the state would have been better off without such a policy.
In the final analysis, the The state would have been better off without such a policy.
in the event that In the event that enough people protest, it will probably be revoked.
If enough people protest, it will probably be revoked.
in the nature of Something in the nature of a repeal may soon take place.
Something in the nature oflike a repeal may soon take place.
in the process of Legislators are already in the process of reviewing the statues.
Legislators are already in the process of reviewing the statues.
it seems that It seems that they can't wait to get rid of this one.
It seems that they They can't wait to get rid of this one.
manner They have monitored the activities of conservationists in a cautious manner.
They have cautiously monitored the activities of conservationists.
the point I am trying to make The point I am trying to make is that sometimes public policy doesn't accomplish what it set out to achieve.
The point I am trying to make is that someSometimes public policy doesn't accomplish what it set out to achieve.
type of Legislators need to be more careful of the type of policy they propose.
Legislators need to be more careful of the type of policy they propose.
what I mean to say is What I mean to say is that well intentioned lawmakers sometimes make fools of themselves.
What I mean to say is that well Well intentioned lawmakers sometimes make fools of themselves.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 28th, 2004, 12:29 AM
And in plainer terms....

For example...let say your message is that drugs are bad.

If you say:
"In my opinion, drugs are bad".

To a teacher/professor type person that just looks like a way to "pad the word count" because if it is YOUR paper, and you type, that Drugs are bad, it is pretty well know that YOU BELIEVE, or that, IN YOUR OPINION, or that, YOU FEEL THAT "Drugs are Bad!".
You don't have to reinterate that it is your opinion, ie, since you are writing the paper, it is implied that it's your paper, and your opinions :)

Slayer
November 28th, 2004, 01:03 AM
*whistles* You outta get an award for all the stuff you type Max! Or did you just copy/cut and paste? :doh

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 28th, 2004, 01:05 AM
I had posted something similar previously - and I didn't want to type it all again, so I searched the forums for it, and then I typed the additions seperately...but i did, at least at one time, type it originally :D

I *WAS* a History major in college, so I'm not known for being un-opinionated, nor, short-winded :D

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 28th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Original thread here...

http://www.lamerc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10578&highlight=redundant

[uGa] Saint
November 28th, 2004, 02:35 AM
ahahaha
thankgod im canadian ;)

seriously though... its america jr. .... or America II if you'd like... seriously...

Swedish
November 28th, 2004, 04:28 AM
HAHA YOU STUPID AMERICANS GOT OWNED!!!! who am i kidding, ive lived here my whole life.

PaRaNoiD
November 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
aahaha saint..i stared at your avatar for a good while and started laughing louder and louder- the little toasts are so freekin funny, .. so happy!!
when he does the little twirl!!

hehe

shup~!

aCiD
November 28th, 2004, 02:13 PM
wow max, to much to read... makes my eyes hurt to look at all that

Yammer Hammer!
November 29th, 2004, 01:10 AM
yeah only in america will a band start off saying 1,2,3,14 speaking of u2. well maybe thats ireland cause the lead singer is irish o_o.. i dunno i think i might be lost on this one.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==