PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' Day

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 11th, 2004, 06:34 AM
On this day, the day set aside to remember those that have served our country in one of the armed services, it's good to be thankful for the sacrifices that our service men and women have made for the greater good of our country.

If you've served in one of the branches, I want to sincerely thank you for that, and may we all remember those who fell on the field.

LT

eNdOfBeGinNinG
November 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM
So who has off work on todays holiday?

LA_MERC_Dirge
November 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM
w00t for the Veteran's!

Thanks!

LA_MERC_RiverRat
November 11th, 2004, 07:15 AM
First off, as a veteran, I appreciate everyone (not just here in the clan) who thinks about us (veterans) and remembers us on this day each year. I can say this that when I was in Iraq during the Gulf War, everyone who was over there fighting could actually feel the prayers people had for us.

But you know what sucks? I have to work but you dont!

LA_MERC_Diesel
November 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM
:vet: :vet: :vet: :vet: :vet:

Yeah no doubt every Veteran should be off today, our real American Hero's!!!
I would certainly like, to personally, thank every member of our armed forces, and all those that have served to make our great country what it is, through out the ages.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I as well, want to send out a big thanks to all here who have served our country in one of the Armed Services.

And let us not forget the thousands of young men and women serving us right now in the middle east!

LA_MERC_Yankee
November 11th, 2004, 11:02 AM
:vet: :vet:

It was something when I was flying through Atlanta last week. There were tons of service men and women coming and going. On more than one occasion I saw an average man or woman go up to one of the service folks and thank them for what they are doing. Then Delta stops the boarding process everytime a man/woman in uniform was about to board and say, "How about a round of applause for so-and-so and all the men and woman in the armed forces." And the gate area would erupt in applause.

A big w00t w00t for all the folks serving and those that have served. We can not say thank you enough.

LA_MERC_Sabre
November 11th, 2004, 11:21 AM
that's awesome Yankee....

I too thank the men and women of the armed forces, I wouldn't be here otherwise!!!

Silent_Killer
November 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thank all of those that have served our country.

:vet: :vet: :iwo :iwo

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Veterans Day, 2004
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

In Focus: Veterans

Americans live in freedom because of our veterans' courage, dedication to duty, and love of country. On Veterans Day, we honor these brave men and women who have served in our Armed Forces and defended our Nation.

Across America, there are more than 25 million veterans. Their ranks include generations of citizens who have risked their lives while serving in military conflicts, including World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and the war on terror. They have fought for the security of our country and the peace of the world. They have defended our founding ideals, protected the innocent, and liberated the oppressed from tyranny and terror. They have known the hardships and the fears and the tragic losses of war. Our veterans know that in the harshest hours of conflict they serve just and honorable purposes.

Through the years, our veterans have returned home from their duties to become active and responsible citizens in their communities, further contributing to the growth and development of our Nation. Their commitment to service inspires all Americans.

With respect for and in recognition of the contributions our service men and women have made to the cause of peace and freedom around the world, the Congress has provided (5 U.S.C. 6103(a)) that November 11 of each year shall be set aside as a legal public holiday to honor veterans.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim November 11, 2004, as Veterans Day and urge all Americans to observe November 7 through November 13, 2004, as National Veterans Awareness Week. I urge all Americans to recognize the valor and sacrifice of our veterans through ceremonies and prayers. I call upon Federal, State, and local officials to display the flag of the United States and to encourage and participate in patriotic activities in their communities. I invite civic and fraternal organizations, places of worship, schools, businesses, unions, and the media to support this national observance with commemorative expressions and programs.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-ninth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Sergei Criffnoobsky
November 12th, 2004, 10:26 AM
We will remember them.

Slayer
November 12th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Anyone watch Saving Private Ryan last night?

Daedelus
November 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
A big thank you.
and yeah i had to work.
now i just wish the president would help better fund the Va. so we could better help all of our aging veterans and take care of newly made veterans.

:vet:

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==