PDA

View Full Version : Reliable channel overload

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
November 4th, 2004, 11:39 PM
i keep getting kicked and that is the message i get

reliable channel overload

anyone know anything about this?

i tried looking it up on google. but it must be down or something. so is msn.. according to my browser. also messenger.... weirddddddddd

wait... now i just went to www.steampowered.com.. and it cant find it either.

what is wrong with my stuff? what would be causing this? i can go to this site, and a few others... but why am i not able to get into these sites

so far. msn.com, steampowered.com, google.com

MindWerks
November 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
I got this message when I was downloading a lot of stuff and trying to play CS at the same time. Chances are you have a bottleneck in your network from either your computer or someone on your shared network. Once you get rid of that you will notice your ping and choke will decrease significantly.

MindWerks
November 5th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I just reread your post and I think you have some Major Spyware on your PC right now. This could DEFINATELY cause the problem. Get rid of it, and good luck in doing so.

I suggest some updated virus protection, hijackthis, search and destroy. Run them in safe mode. It has worked wonders for me.

MindWerks
November 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE]but why am i not able to get into these sites[QUOTE]

Most spyware will modify your LMHOST file to make common websites point to alternate IP's or non existant IP's. They do this so that to make it increasingly difficult for you to remove the spyware from your PC.

HiJackthis will read the LMHOST file and display the results to you. If you delete them all you will again have access to the internet proper. However if you don't do it in safe mode the spyware will just rewrite the lmhost file with garbage again.

This is what I do to remove it.

1)Get the software you need to remove as much of it as you can. This can be challenging if you are using the infected computer to search, but it's not impossible. You can get most of it from download.com, most spyware overlooks that site for some reason.

2) boot up in safe mode and run HiJackThis. It will do a registry search and print out the results for your review.

3) remove any entries that seem suspicious, but make sure to paste a copy in a notepad txt file because later you will want to navigate these paths and delete the files themselves not just the links to them.

4) review the services (if you are in XP) and disable any that seem suspicious.

5) Run MSCONFIG from the start menu->run and review the start up list. disable any suspicious files.

6) Run Search and Destroy to mop up any remaining crap

7) Reboot in normal mode and hope for the best.

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
November 5th, 2004, 10:11 AM
well i just reformated my computer yesterday. i forgot to mention that

this morning i was at the end of what it could be. but i figured out that it had to be my zonealarm. so i took every program zone alarm had in it and checked ALLOW.

still didnt work. so at that point i thought it couldnt be zonealarm

well.. i was pissed and figured there is nothing else it could be.

so i just uninstalled zonealarm

now everything is fine

first question is this. do i get zonealarm again? i mean.. ive had it for 2 years and never had this happen.

second question is... what could it have possibly been that was causing zonealarm to be so screwed up that i could come to this site.. go to mozilla.com.. but everywhere else on the internet i couldnt go. that doesnt make sense at all

MindWerks
November 5th, 2004, 10:16 AM
hmm... dunno.

I never used zonealarm. I generally disable firewalls, for the most part they don't work because they take too much work to maintain and setup.

CajunTech
November 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I would recommend always using a firewall. Zone Alarm and such usually just ask you to allow/block programs trying to get out and are real easy to use. XP has a built in firewall, but I've never messed with it. Zone Alarm is nice because it looks as if your machine isn't even connected to the net to most kiddie hackers.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 5th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I actually like the SP2 firewall OK...ZoneAlarm and Sygate are good as well. I DO Hate Norton Personal Firewall with a passion however!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==