PDA

View Full Version : loss of internet connection behind a router... help?

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, I have had two computer snow lose access to the internet. The strange thing is that both have Xp SP2. Both are configured correctly as far as TCP/IP and such. I can ping the router and other computers opn the network, just no internet. On another computer with SP2, I can get to the internet. Both of the two malfunctioning comps happened all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM
First off, have you done a Spyware/Virus scan of the machines?

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 25th, 2004, 08:14 PM
yes, both machines very clean and scanned as of yesterday evening, running updated definitoons and frequent ad-aware and spybot cleans

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM
download this and try it...may work, may not. http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

If not, try removing the network components and adding them back.

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
k will try

thx

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Also, one other thing, in IE, goto tools - options, advanced, and uncheck the box that says "enable 3rd party browser extentions" reboot, and see if that helps if the above doesn't help.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 25th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Dirge, check your internet options panel. Make sure its not trying to use some type of proxy. Next, click start then run and type the following in the run box

netsh int ip reset all

click ok and a black dos window will pop up for a second. Then reboot.

You may want to try to ping outside of your router. Try to ping yahoo.com then try to ping the game server (209.209.214.5)

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
the xp socket thingy worked

I had tried to ping outside of the router to no avail. It seems the other comp also ran into problems after an ad-aware rung. Thanks for the help guys, more ammo for the next fight!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah - that's what I thought - there are a few pieces of spyware that break the winsocks when you remove them...

glad you got them back a runnin'

j.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 25th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Glad it worked for you.

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 26th, 2004, 06:22 AM
bah I don't know about breaking socks, I had coincidentally just bought some new socks at Target on Saturday... And they don't fit welll... Coincidence... or something more?!?! There is a lunar eclipse tomorrow! muhahaha

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==