PDA

View Full Version : Broadband from your Power Co.

[uGa] Saint
October 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Finally Exiles child and some of u other guys will eventually be able to get some broadband rolling...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118168,00.asp

it'll be awhile before it becomes available, but eventually you wont be able to blame your lag on your bad scores :P

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Something about having my computer and vis-a-vis my mouse connected to 220V, 110V or higher makes me nervous. Of course it could be the amprage giving me that twitch! lol

I wish they would talk about the transmission over power lines a little bit more. But it may be too little too late. The race for the video customer very may result in a fiber optic distribution network comparable to electrical distribution. By that time, BPL may be a niche product, serving very small numbers of very remote, isolated customers, but that's just the way I see it. I also wonder about the power companies straying away from their core technological competencies as a company. hmmm oh well, rambling again... sorry

npor
October 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I have a 4 computer LAN setup in my house using Netgear's wall outlet plugs, works perfectly so far.

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Not talking about local lan's. Try running a stable highspeed signal for miles with no signal intrference or significant packet loss. Major problems with spectral transmission, compatibility, and interference.

[uGa] Saint
October 15th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I have a 4 computer LAN setup in my house using Netgear's wall outlet plugs, works perfectly so far.

congrats npor!

this is more directed at those who are unable to get broadband or other high speed internet cuz they live in the middle of nowhere... this would only be popular with a small slice of society, but at least the option will eventually be there.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 15th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Something about having my computer and vis-a-vis my mouse connected to 220V, 110V or higher makes me nervous.
sorry

LOL..Thats only from the transformer on the pole outside your house. From there its more like 15,000 to 20,000 volts, and thats the primary line on the rural roads, It only gets higher from there...MUHAHAHAHA... hope your transformer dont blowup...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 15th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I would go into a panic everytime a Thunderstorm came up and I was away from home :P

TruckGuy
October 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I'd be willin' to try it. Its got to be better than bein' the last house on the line of a third rate phone company.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I'd be willin' to try it. Its got to be better than bein' the last house on the line of a third rate phone company.

Amen Brother !!

roXet
October 17th, 2004, 01:32 AM
yeah, I've heard about this many times. I see no reason it won't work, but I know jack about how the power system works. The only problem is, in your more rural areas where this type of solution is needed to reach the customers who are left out in the cold now, I don't see the power company having the manpower or know-how to keep up a high speed data network, or being willing to pay the staff required to do it. I may be wrong, but I don't see the power companies around here adopting this type of thing any time soon.

BTW I have seen the future, and it's fiber to the home. That stuff rocks, now I just gotta light a fire under the right person to the a fiber pulled into my house. =)

LA_MERC_Drax
October 17th, 2004, 02:55 AM
try williams roxet :D

LA_MERC_CS Widow
October 17th, 2004, 04:30 AM
BTW I have seen the future, and it's fiber to the home. That stuff rocks, now I just gotta light a fire under the right person to the a fiber pulled into my house. =)

Bran muffins, Roxet...cheap and works!

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 17th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Hey Rox,

In one of my previous jobs, I ran, terminated and even fused fiber line. What fun!!!

As for network over power, they've been talking abotu this for a long time, but I am also worried about the poorly trained city power people here in Ruston...they wouldn't be able to keep it working (power goes out here atleast once a week).

Bad Mojo
October 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM
It couldn't be any worse then the third rate Party Line in rural nowhere. Party line? you say, heheh maybe that was before your time. 1 phone line, a real operator with a box and a bunch of wires and having to pick up the phone to call work only to hear your neighbor 3 miles down the road talking to her aunt about an itch that wont go away...

SnAkEbItE
October 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Yes I remember those day's of party lines...

|Team Moped| Kripto
October 17th, 2004, 10:33 PM
(Sniff) What about my Ham radio, I spent hours building it...

"Powell calls amateur radio an "important resource" in the U.S. communication system"

See...we're important!!!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==