PDA

View Full Version : Labels

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM
I've been thinking recently about labels, in the sense of names that people use to refer to themselves or other people or to attributes of people.

Many of us live in societies where attaching labels is viewed as important. It can serve a function, it's a useful shortcut. We all (well, most of us) know that labels can be used destructively as well as constructively, and sometimes people substitute knowing the label for knowing the person.

What I was thinking about was how important attaching a label might seem to someone. To take a common example, try "liberal" or "conservative." How important is it to you that your viewpoint be labelled that way, or that the viewpoint of someone else (either someone you like or someone you don't) be labelled that way? Does it bother you when people tinker with the definitions in ways that disagree with yours?

I have seen this kind of label dispute in many very different situations. People arguing over the definition of liberal, conservative, Christian, atheist, white (race), black (race), Democrat, Republican, lots of things. These disputes can be important, because the words are used to communicate, and it's impossible to communicate unless you agree (sufficiently well) on the meaning of the words being used. They can also be stirring up dispute unnecessarily, or they can be distracting from more important issues.

To what extent is it important that a particular label be attached to a particular person or group of people, or to yourself? Do you find yourself bristling when someone claims that you have no right to a label you've applied to yourself? Are you on the other side of that discussion, are you annoyed at someone who improperly claims a label?

Do you find that you massage your viewpoint, beliefs, principles, actions, opinions, based on the attributes of a label you apply to yourself?

Ack, it sounds like I'm claiming these are uniformly bad things. I'm not. I find the concept interesting, and I've been thinking about it a bunch recently, given the amount of labelling being done these days. For "label" in the two paragraphs before this one, perhaps you could think of "name of a movement" or "professional title" "honorific title bestowed upon esteemed members of a group" if that sounds more appropriate. You might be thinking, "I have to act thus-and-such way, I am a 'high school principal,' that's the way a 'high school principal' should act," for example.

Just wondering.

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 14th, 2004, 06:31 AM
I think my thoughts and opinions lean more towards a 'conservative' labeling but I would prefer not to be labeled as such. Basically because labeling someone puts some sort of identity on that person that which may or may not be true. My opinions are based on my own beliefs, not based on another person who is also labelled as a conservative. I don't follow someone blindly, like unfortunately, many Americans do and that's why Kerry is getting away with all his 'waffling'.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Humans, by their very nature, want to belong to a group. Thats why there are clubs, organizations and lables attached to just about every socio-economical group that exists. Being a part of a group is what defines that person, and as such, the titles that go along with that group also define that person.

Titles are what we are.

Sergei Criffnoobsky
October 14th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I have to agree with LT..........in todays society it all comes down to it at some point.

SnAkEbItE
October 14th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Not me I can't stand haveing people around me, I'm very anti-social the problem is for some reason people flock around me and I can't seem to get rid of them...lol

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I remember in my speech class in college my teacher telling us that meanings are in people. So the meaning of a word means something to me, and quite a different thing to other people. I think it's your experiences in life that determine what things mean to you.

Ever since that class I have tried to look beyond what I think something means, and have started to ask others what they think it means. So we can be on the same page when we are talking about things. Basically labels give you a general idea of a person. But they could very well interpret that label as something totally different. So your general idea could be generally wrong.

Labels fer me....husband, father, idiot, fool, son, knucklehead, so on and so forth. Just depends on who you talk to as to what I'm labeled.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Oh yeah, depending on how people have labeled me, makes me act differently sometimes. Like if someone thinks I'm stupid or an a$$, and I don't care what they think, I go out of my way to live up to that label. But if it's someone who I actually care how they view me, then I may try to change my label to what I think I am.

Ofcourse I'm a little off most times.

Well maybe way off depending on your label of me.

Slayer
October 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
That's right. When you think about, it's not really a label. It's more like a post-it note that someone sticks on to you in order to determine how they relate themselves to you. Then they take another from their little pad and go on to the next person.

Uther
October 14th, 2004, 04:07 PM
My opinions are based on my own beliefs, not based on another persons. I don't follow someone blindly, like unfortunately, many Americans do and that's why George Bush is getting away with all his misleadings.

Slayer that was a excellent way of describing labels.

Slayer
October 14th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks Uther. :)

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM
I for one think labels such as you mention also facilitate interaction between similar groups.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==