PDA

View Full Version : FutureMark and [H]ard|OCP

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
October 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Check this out. Can you believe this guy @ Futuremark?

3DMark Makers Upset with [H]:
Tero Sarkkinen, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing of Futuremark, wrote in this morning with a directive for HardOCP to stop slandering their 3Dmark product line and threatens to bring in lawyers. I do have to think that this is a shot across our bow as surely ATI and NVIDIA have told Futuremark about recent interviews we have done with the video giants in preparation for an upcoming HardOCP editorial.

I strongly advise you to not to slander our product, 3DMark, on your web site. Take down all your false and unjustified and baseless claims about 3DMark.

Sincerely,

Tero Sarkkinen
Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Futuremark Corporation
[email protected], http://www.futuremark.com

As is normal operating procedure, we like to be specific as to what exactly the company wants removed. So I responded, " I have reviewed the document that you sent (Tero sent a 15 page PDF that was a reproduction of today's HardOCP news page in full (possibly a copyright violation in itself )) and see no slanderous, false, unjustified, or baseless claims whatsoever about "3DMark." Could you please be more specific as to your allegations and advice?

Tero replied with...

You know what I mean. Your articles have consistently discredited 3DMark for years now and the few justifications there have sometimes been have been without merit. It seems to us as if you have something against our product personally and are using your popular website as a platform to attack and trying to discredit on purpose and with baseless claims and sometimes also with erroneous information.

I will no longer communicate with you after this. Our attorney is looking that this situation will get resolved and will contact you if necessary.

Tero Sarkkinen
Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Futuremark Corporation
[email protected], http://www.futuremark.com

"You know what I mean," was hardly the answer I expected. But just remember that having an opinion these days means having a band of high priced lawyers at your side.

I do stand by the opinion that 3DMark05 "sucks" as a benchmark based on the fact that it does not tell me anything specifically about the games I play. Did 3DMark tell us how DOOM3 was going to play? No. Will 3DMark tell us how HL2 or STALKER will play on a given system? No. Does that mean 3DMark is worthless? Surely not. 3DMark has a ton of great and fun uses; I just don't find any of them as a benefit to our readers or myself directly. On that note, the entire 3DMark series can be a great tool for end users testing tweaks and such on their systems and it can be a great source of fun competition across the Net.

Our editorial on the state of 3DMark will be published soon, and I guess this one will be another that we have to pay the lawyers to read before it goes out the door. But if Futuremark thinks their baseless threats and attacks on our opinions will gain them ground with the hardware community, or us they are badly mistaken.

And Tero, I know you guys are not Americans, so you might want to catch up with The United States Constitution and specifically the First Amendment to it. I guarantee you that HardOCP is very much inside its legal rights to express opinions about your products and will continue to do so. What amazes me is that you are stepping on some of the very toes that Futuremark relies on to make its money, and those toes belong to the gaming and hardware communities that we share the truth with on a daily basis. Now take our advice. You are barking up the wrong tree little doggy.

LA_MERC_goose
October 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
You are barking up the wrong tree little doggy
I love it. 1st Amendment RULZ! hehehe

LA_MERC_Shadow
October 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM
hehehehe
Looks like he was really trying to bully his way into a better review.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Yeah, Kyle and the guys at HardOCP rock. Those are the only other forums I read.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
October 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM
you sir need to get out more.

SweetGirL
October 7th, 2004, 01:13 PM
you sir need to get out more.

:doh I find that cute, CO. Now, speaking of "cute" and "getting out more", ahem, I haven't been out to do something fun in ages.....unless, of course, you consider Target and school entertainment. ~whine~ :offtopic

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I personally have not held a high opinion of 3d mark since the 2001 verstion - the last two have been very unrealistic, and require unbelievable hardware to get even middle of the road scores.

Suntrails
October 7th, 2004, 02:39 PM
:doh I find that cute, CO. Now, speaking of "cute" and "getting out more", ahem, I haven't been out to do something fun in ages.....unless, of course, you consider Target and school entertainment. ~whine~ :offtopic

For goodness sake Outkast! Take your wife out on a date! Lol. :ldm

OR you could come up here Sweets. We'll have a girls' night out!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
October 8th, 2004, 07:11 AM
LOL! Looks like the guys at Futuremark decided to stand down and eat crow.

Snip from [H]ardOCP forums.

To everyone at [H]ardOCP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please accept my sincererest apologies for myself reacting the way I did yesterday morning and for sending those emails to Kyle that he posted on the news page. I would like to hereby let everyone know that I am withdrawing all of that. Also, I feel that I owe everyone an explanation of why it happened.

For years, we have been trying to get constructive cooperation going with the HardOCP team. However, for one reason or another none of these attempts have succeeded. So, naturally we have been little bit frustrated by it. Then, I again saw a newspost yesterday morning with just a statement that our product sucks without any explanation or argumentation or technical reason of why they so think.

This just caused an immediate, and I have to add, rather immature, reaction in myself and I sent off those emails without really thinking.

So, as a summary, I hope that we can all move forward from here. We do wish more constructive critique and I would like to emphasize that we really encourage everyone to send and publish any and all feedback, good or bad, as long as it is reasonably argumented, since only that helps this industry move forward.

Sincerely,

Tero Sarkkinen

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026710094&postcount=545

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 8th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Want some Catsup with that?! lol

Oh, and CO...I know I need to get out more, man. lol

LA_MERC_goose
October 8th, 2004, 07:42 AM
I wonder if he choaked when he tried to swallow that big elephant pill?

LA_MERC_Shadow
October 8th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Someone give him the Heimlich manuever he's choking!!! Now he's turning blue.....

SweetGirL
October 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
For goodness sake Outkast! Take your wife out on a date! Lol. :ldm

OR you could come up here Sweets. We'll have a girls' night out!

Awww, I wish I could come up there! I'd love that! I've got this outfit I've been dying to wear out somewhere; it's a bit too much for grocery shopping at Kroger. lol [I just read this post to OutKast whose reply was "Why don't you take ME out, Sam? You never take ME out." Imma have to hurt him now. haha]

LA_MERC_Drax
October 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Awww, I wish I could come up there!

I dunno if you're prepared for that suntrails, that woman is certifiably nuts! :stick

SweetGirL
October 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
I dunno if you're prepared for that suntrails, that woman is certifiably nuts! :stick

Define "certifiably" for me. lol Umm, look now, Draxola, just because you think all females are little playtoys to do with as you wish, discard them when you are bored with them, and that become psycho on you after they get hurt, don't think all us chickas are like that [<--horrible sentence structure, but I have to hurry lol].

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM
I like a little Texas Pete on my crow, personally :)

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
October 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Futremark says they are sorry (http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23151) and immature.

LA_MERC_Spark
October 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
well at least he manned up..

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==