PDA

View Full Version : Best video card?

eNdOfBeGinNinG
September 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new video card.. and I really don't know crap about them. I'm looking to put $100-150 into the card. Right now I have a crummy geforce 4 mx 64mb. What is the best card I can get for my price range? I've looked it up some, but so many diff prices and so many different cards that i'm lost right now. Need some info if you have any. THanks

[uGa] Saint
September 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM
you gots a preference (ATI vs nVidia)?

eNdOfBeGinNinG
September 8th, 2004, 05:20 PM
i've been with nvidia since I have had a pc, basically what will be the best for games for that price.

LA_MERC_Nutria
September 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I was the same way with my price range. I also planned on getting HL2. So I found a card that comes with the coupon for the game. I have a Radeon 9800pro 128mb now and it was $219. Figured the game is gonna be about 50 bucks. So I see it as the card was about 170.

[uGa] Saint
September 8th, 2004, 05:42 PM
well... the more expensive one... costing your limit of 150 would be an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. There is a manufacturer named Saphire who is very reliable that makes the card (w/ 256 mb of ram rather than the standard 128) for $152 dollars...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-335&depa=1

if you would rather get the standard version with 128 megs of ram, it is about 20 bucks cheaper at $137.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-338&depa=1

the comparable card in nVidia's lineup would be the GeForce 5700 Ultra.... it usually places about the same as the ATI card, and more often than not, does better, but is more expensive as well. Here are all the 5700 ultras that are offered on newegg (there are more places than newegg to go of course, but i trust them the most)...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

I'm an ATI fan, so i wont give you my opinion since its biased. I dont know how well the GeForce FX 5700 (non-ultra) with 256 mb of ram (rather than the standard 128 mb) would do against the 9600 xt ATI card... something else to look at. If you got any questions for me, just get in contact with me on AIM sometime.

aCiD
September 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM
*whispers* Ati Radeon 9600 XT *cough*

Krank
September 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM
i love my Radeon 9800 pro :)

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
September 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM
since ati is supporting hl2... go anything ati.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-02.html

now thats doom3 stats. and since hl2 is going to be comparible to doom3 graphics... you got a nice choice ahead of you

LA_MERC_Spark
September 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM
ati radeon 9600XT is the one i got....now if ya gots a lot o scratch you could get the X800 XT...

aCiD
September 9th, 2004, 05:46 AM
MOOOO, that the one i gettin.. But i was looking, they said it was loud as crap.. Tis the Loudyness worth that? 400+$ :( :( :(

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Wow...just read some reviews on that one. Gainward makes some GOOD stuff, man...but $400 for a card that is going to be out dated just as soon as PCI-E gets more widely used (meaning: Q1 next year). I would buy a good $150-$200 card and save the rest for next year.

That is, of course, just my opinion (also what I plan on doing...waiting till then to upgrade, I mean)

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
September 9th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Brandon, if you can swing $180 or so, the ATI 9800pro would be your best bet in that price range. check Newegg.com and then pricewatch.com don't get the SE model, make sure it's the 9800pro only in the name.
nvidia just released (on paper, should be in stores in a few weeks) a new 6600GT that will be priced about $200. not sure how it compares with the 9800pro though. also, I think it will only be PCIe initially then later ported to AGP.

[uGa] Saint
September 9th, 2004, 07:51 AM
when acid was asking about parts, i helped him pick the 9600xt one i recommended bd, but then he found the gainward one and really liked it... it is a really fast card (altho there are other brands that make the card and it may be a bit quieter...). Everything is outdated so quickly nowadays, and the PCI express standard wont be posting huge increases in speed for awhile yet. At least thats what ive read about for the current cards, but maybe new drivers could put a new jump in speed?? who knows. I figure since he wanted the card to play swg and other games without a glitch, then there's no harm in getting a good card.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
new 6600GT that will be priced about $200. not sure how it compares with the 9800pro though. also, I think it will only be PCIe initially then later ported to AGP.

It's PCIe and is built off the 6800 reference card but has some of the pipes disabled. Atleast, that's what they said at QuakeCon...lol

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
September 9th, 2004, 08:05 AM
so many choices.....

you are screwed....

whatever you get... there will always be a "better" one that you should have got....

you are screwed....

ha ha

[uGa] Saint
September 9th, 2004, 08:13 AM
"shuttup ya re-tard"

LA_MERC_goose
September 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
pot ... kettle .... black?

[uGa] Saint
September 9th, 2004, 10:01 AM
frank, check out evga's card, there are a lot of reviews out there for this card, and they are a pretty good company. Im pretty sure it will be quieter than the gainward, plus its cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-203&depa=1

eNdOfBeGinNinG
September 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM
lol infection is right.. but I thank you EVERYONE for info, now I just gotta pick. the simple fact that ati runs better with hl2, is the reason why i will get it. I will save for the ati9800.. w00t, thnx everyone! now just to find the best price...and the hard part..convince the wife haha

Seductive
September 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
are u kidding?? you've been talking about a new video card since we got married, i'd be afraid to say no to it now, you'd probably have a mental breakdown! :crybaby :havemercy :cryy :tears :crazyeye

LA_MERC_goose
September 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM
you'd probably have a mental breakdown!
Are you saying he hasn't had one YET?! I thought that happened a long time ago, my bad. j/k EOB. :stick

eNdOfBeGinNinG
September 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
lol I have had quite a few... the moving one was the worst.. but I dunno.. this video card thing might make me SNAP AHHHH!!

aCiD
September 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM
SNAP SNAP SNAP! lol yea i didnt know about that Gainward card being OOD in about a year.. hrm.. I also asked some people who had it and they said that the fans are kind loud but its a STRONG arese card that will take everything to the highest level - which probably is a lie.. but is what most of em said.. they all said they liked it too.. But im still deciding.. oh and SAINTy poo that one you showed me looked purdy sheXy hehe.. you think that one will run good with Hl2 Middle earth... -mmmm EQ2, all those games..? im just curious :D

Omega_Prime
September 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
i have the gainward 6800 its the non ultra and with the golden sample have it clocked to 350mhz and 800 on the memory. the two fans on that card are not loud i notice nothing different from my 5900. performance wise its on par with any gt card because of the overclock gainward has and will hang with the new ati cards when hl2 gets here. 3-6 fps isnt a breakthrough for ati over the 6800 nor is nvida's 3-6 fps for doom. so i say they are both great cards. but you have to ask yourself is the juice worth the squezze?

aCiD
September 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM
but you have to ask yourself is the juice worth the squezze?

Lol :d: I dunno still... im still deciding but the VC Saint showed me earlier was just as nice and a lil cheaper.. but when i find one, ill let everyone know!! OKAY?!?! :stick

LA_MERC_MadMAX
September 9th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I have a Trident 2MB card lying around you can have if you're interested :D

aCiD
September 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM
:stick w00t finally found one. Anyone know if this is as good as they say its the HIS Excalibur RADEON X800 PRO IceQ II Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ICE80PN-2I-ZAM. From the reviews it seems to be an awesome card.. but, OH WELL.. we will see

[uGa] Saint
September 10th, 2004, 12:11 AM
i dont know anything bout HIS but it looks sawEEEET!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==