PDA

View Full Version : model planes

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Well as summer is fading out, I would like to get some winter projects lined up. I have always wanted to build and fly a radio controlled plane. My only problem is I know NOTHING about them. Can anyone suggest a good model to start off with or at least things to stay away from and an estimate of cost from strat to finish would be great..Thanks peeps :)

LA_MERC_Spark
September 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I've flown Model airplanes since the age of four.. I've won several competitions including several regionals as well as the nationals.. In 1996 I was a member of the United States national team.. The only problem is i flew CONTROL line models.. not Radio Control.. I've got a buddy that imports ready to fly models for RC Combat... as well as props, motors, and other gear... here's his web site....http://pages.prodigy.net/gcleveland_grsmodels/ I think junky fools with the RC stuff.. he may have some good info
In addition you can check out the Academy of Model Aeronautics for more links and info http://www.modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/ *WARNING* MODEL AIRPLANES ARE VERY ADDICTIVE AND EXPENSIVE!!! BE PREPARED TO BE BROKE!!!

LA_MERC_Nutria
September 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I make really cool paper airplanes. :holla:

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Hey Sling, talk to Junky...he does that also!

I've always wanted to learn how to fly model planes...but never had the time or fundage...

LA_MERC_Blown68Kamaro
September 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM
http://www.hobbyzone.com/

These are the ones I started out with and still use.
They are cheap and if you crash them you can fix them serveral times before you can them.

I love these, even tho they are electric, they are FAST like gas planes.
Might be a good place to start before you get too much inveseted.

One note I lost one in high high Amarillo winds. So becareful not to get one too high. If a 40 mph gust gets it, chances are you won't see it again.

JUNKY
September 10th, 2004, 08:39 AM
SLing, sorry for not posting earlier -- just been busy lately.

You have 2 basic roads you can go down depending on exactly what you have in mind:
1.) you can go with something like the hobbyzone Aerobird or Firebird series - generically refered to as "park flyers" they are kinda looked at as toys by most R/C enthusiasts, but that shouldnt mean they aren't fun to fly - they're electric, and can be flown in a area the size of a baseball field or football field. Most of them don't have aileron controls (flight surfaces on the wing that control roll rate) and while they aren't aerobatic monsters, they do teach good stable flight control principles. The big negative is that they are pretty much non upgradeable, and the electronics that come with them are all integrated into the plane, so if you fly one ofr a month or 2 and decide to move up to a nitro powered plane, none of the hardware will transfer over.

2). Now the other option would be to buy/build a true nitro powered trainer to learn to fly on. The biggest consideration here is do you have several acres to fly off of on a regular basis? R/C isn't toy planes, they need room, and yeah, a bit of $$$ to keep your addiction funded. There are several dozen different trainers out there, and all are very similar in their purpose - they teach you the basics, they are stable, usually have self recovery traits built into their design and are sturdy. My trainer was a hand me down that has bounced through no less than 4 members of my local club - it was scratch built buy one of the older members years ago, and is a great plane to this day.

Oh, and there are all kinds of ins and outs to the hobby that you need to be taught, cause learning it on your own gets really expensive, really fast. In Helena, I find one AMA chartered club listed:
HELENA FLYING TIGERS

District: IX
NUmber: 403
Type: Radio Control

Contact Information:

Phone: 406/458-9008
Email: [email protected]
Address: 1495 SHIRLEY RD
HELENA, MT 59602-6638

go here: http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/clubsearch.aspx and search for other clubs in Montana -- others may be near you too. I don't know the local geography that well.
Hook up with the local club - find out where they fly, find out when they normally fly and ask if you could just come out and check it out (not all clubs are public). If so--get out there and watch. Find someone to bounce questions off of. Having people who can help you learn is way more important that the particular model you fly.

As far as planes, there are 2 basic styles of balsa aircraft kits - ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) , or a true kit that comes in a box, as a bunch of pieces of balsa and lite ply that requires you to assemble, cover etc --- to get you in the air fastest, with no basic experience, I recommend the ARF. Arf's come with all major components assembled and covered, like the wing, fuselage, tail feathers, etc - you still have to do assembly on the ARF - they usually look like this out of the box:
http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Extra300_65/Extra300_65_1th.jpg
you still have plenty of screws to turn and glue to be applied, without having the chance to really screw up the general assembly. A trainer needs to be properly assembled to fly stable, or else it's going to be way more of a handfull to fly than a beginner needs to deal with.

To answer your basic question about $$$ range. LOL -- like spark said -- you never will have enough. But initial investment, if you buy everything new, expect to pay about $300-400 for your setup. The great thing about that is that some of that cost is support equipment that you will use on all airplanes you own, so it is deferred a little.

JUNKY
September 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Part 2:
Basic info on what to look for in a trainer -
High wing design (Wing mounted on top of the fuse like a Cessna 152/72 type design)
Wing needs to have a decent amount of dihedral (dihedral is the amout the wings angle up from center -- makes the plane more stable in flight. Most trianers have plenty, so don't make a decision based on just the dihedral.
Nice flat bottomed wing for high lift -- makes the plane fly light, and glide well. Part of your instruction should be "dead-stick" landings -- if the engine quits, you need to get it back on the ground in one piece -- good gliding is a good thing.
I would recommend no smaller an engine size than a .40ci 2stroke engine. (You won't need a 4stroke anytime soon-plus they are way more expensive). .40 -sized trianers are common, .60 size are out there-- the planes are a little bigger - might be easier for you to transport a .40 size unless you have a truck.
Your support/field gear will stick with you through several planes, I always recommend buying better field gear at first, cause it will be used the most.

Here's a basic rundown all priced from the www.towerhobbies.com website:
Hobbico Superstar .40 ARF kit = $99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK971&P=0
(Notice they have an "Ultimate Combo" deal that will give you everything needed to get it in the air for $310 - not a bad deal, but it scrimps on some areas such as the radio they sell you--it's a basic 4 channel unit, and once you move up to more advanced planes, it may not have the features you want. and they are selling it with a .40 engine, I would recommend you get a .46 for any .40-class trainer - the extra power is nice, and the engine will be more likely to transplant over to a second plane down the line. STAY AWAY from the tower hobbies .46 Pro engine that they offer in some packages - I own one--it's hard to tune, and you need to be spending your time flying, not learning how to tune a carb.)

JUNKY
September 10th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Forgot one thing....

If you wanted to put most of your $$$ into radio/electronics and flight gear, you could build a S.P.A.D trainer. - SPADS are planes built from plastic sign material and gutterpipe, that fly decently, while being cheap.
www.spadtothebone.com will have plans for about anything you want to build. I recommend the spadet from thier plans.

Along the same design is the Duraplane series available from Tower - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE586&P=0
$55 gets you the kit.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==