PDA

View Full Version : err....or message

LA_MERC_Maverick
August 18th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Im trying to install the 4.8 ATI drivers, receiving message when Installshield wizard starts "setup failed to launch installation engine: rpc server not available". I have searched google to no avail.

ive gone into services.msc, both RPC services are started and set to automatic. Other than that I dont know where to go.

ive rebooted and tried it, same error. ive redownloaded the installation from ati, same error.

ive deleted everything out of my temp folder, same error.

Please help.

Thx

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 18th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry my friend - that error means you are a nub for buying an ATi Card :shootme: :rolleyes: :dunno :glass

:D

bighead
August 18th, 2004, 10:49 PM
yea i think i'll have to agree w/ max on this one :D

LA_MERC_Maverick
August 18th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I'm sorry my friend - that error means you are a nub for buying an ATi Card :shootme: :rolleyes: :dunno :glass

:D

OMG he is alive, dude we need to get together for a beer this weekend or something, long time no talk and all my fault :(

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 19th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Maybe next weekend mav - i'm broke as a joke right now (a month w/o pay and no "real" credit cards HURTS) - best buy has been slow as CRAP hiring me - TOMORROW is my first day!!! After 3 weeks and as many interviews with as many people...

Also looking at a part time position at Mikey Finns (a friend of mine left there to go to PC Solutions - formerly known as Florence PC) and is trying to get me on part time there around best buy hours - the incentive? 20% discount, and free beer (while at work) on friday afternoons :) - BTW, for those out of towners who don't know, Mikey Finn's is a local Liquor store/party shop :)

LA_MERC_Onji
August 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Mav i was thinking about this today. Give this a shot.
Extract the .exe file you downloaded with winzip or winrar into a folder (because its just a compressed file anyway, i downloaded it and tested it) and run the setup.exe out of that folder.

See if that makes any difference at all.

LA_MERC_Maverick
August 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM
w00t! thx darren! I will try it when i get home. I copied the services.mcs from my workstation at work to check to see if i disable or turned off any services that might have caused this other than RPC and RPC locator.

stupid errors

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Mav - also, if you have ANY services set to "disabled" try setting those to Manual, and they will only start if called upon, but will start then.

LA_MERC_Maverick
August 20th, 2004, 07:18 AM
well, after working with onji for a good hour trying different things, i bit the bullet and gave it the ultimate fix, I reformatted. Now able to load drivers with no errors. Now the only problem is that while the games play great, i cant play any .avi's or mpegs, can play quicktime video though, it plays the first second of the video, then it stops, cant close out of media player, powerdvd, or realplayer, try to end task on it, cpu usage goes to 100%, and have to manually reboot my computer. I know its a driver issue because 1) i can load the 4.5 drivers and have no problems 2) after i reinstalled windows, the first thing i loaded was video drivers, and the video would not play. Too bad I dont know which file is causing the corruption so that I can just copy that file/files from the 4.5 drivers and hopefully be able to play games with the updated performance, and still play video.... *sigh*

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 20th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Mav - didn't you go through that exact same thing w/ the movies before?

LA_MERC_Maverick
August 20th, 2004, 10:45 AM
yeah, it all has to do with the video drivers, i cant use any drivers after 4.5, whether they be ATIs official drivers or Omegas special drivers, it just does not work for video for me. Its weird that its sporatic, its not a common issue, but there are people experiencing it, and ATI currently doesnt know what is causing it,or at least they have not said anything about a solution for it, even after i emailed them stating the problem.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
September 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well, he finally brought his puter over to the house and we looked at his problem of not being able to view videos. This was really stumping us, so we broke down and took out all the cards and reseated them one by one. Miraclously(sp), video started working with all the latest drivers. What I do not understand is why did the video work with version 4.5 drivers but not later before we reseated the cards. Typically, when you see this problem, it is always a software issue, not a hardware connection issue. Anyway the problem is fixed now. Be sure to enter this information in your book of computer troubleshooting knowledge. :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==