PDA

View Full Version : Denver, CO

LA_MERC_goose
August 13th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Well, I asked for it and I think I got it.

**background** I have been hunting new employment for atleast the last 12 to 15 months. I found one and left my previous position to come here, where I work now. But I promised one thing and got something totally different - not at all happy about that. Been here 8 months and still trying to find something that works well with me.

Anyway, I had received an email from a man about a job in Denver so I sent my resume and lo-and-behold they called me back last week and we talked for almost an hour. On my ride home yesterday I got a call again and the gentleman that called me ran down some monitary figures. Well, the run down - $10,000 raise and $2300 bonus per quarter (told this was garenteed) and $4000 relocation assistance. I don't recon' this is too bad for a lame-arse programmer.

If I take the position, I'm gonna have to move my family from SC to CO and well that is probably gonna cause some issues - all of my family and my wife's family live within 50 miles of us now - now we're talking 1600 miles. Well, I had to put it writting so I could get it off my chest and this gave me a chance to let you peps know what's going on in the life and times of the gooser.

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 13th, 2004, 07:11 AM
gooser,

Man, things like this don't come along very ofter for anyone, let alone a "lame-arse programmer". Sit down with your family (and I mean the people that LIVE with you) and pray about it and talk it out. You already know this, but, I'll be praying for ya man.

LaTech

[uGa] Saint
August 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Wow, first of all congrats!! The fact that they would give you so much attention and such a big raise speaks volumes about you not only as a programmer, but as a person as well... I hope that whichever route you choose, you will be able to say your happy with your decision.

Congrats again Goose!!

Ryan

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 13th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Goose, I just went thru the same kinda move. Our family is 2400 miles away and you need to do whats right for guys as a family. With the bump in pay we got now we can actually afford to hop a plane and hopefully see them more than before. Scott is right on, sit everybody down, pray, listen to your heart and you guys will figure it out. Best of luck to ya whatever decision you make, I know its not an easy one:)

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 13th, 2004, 07:22 AM
/me scratches head....they interviewed him and still want to hire a goose?
:p:
gl with your decision.

PaRaNoiD
August 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM
well, my dad's a programmer also, and in '95 he had to make the decision to move our family out of Canada, and to SC (many many miles from family) and you miss them a whole lot, and all your friends- but after-all, it was for the best. We just did the same thing last year, moving from SC to WV.. sometimes you just have to take that new job and hope/pray it'll the best thing. In the end- everything works out for the best. >.<

LA_MERC_Spark
August 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM
congrats man!! it sounds like a great gig... I hope it all works out for you and your family!

LA_MERC_Drifter
August 13th, 2004, 08:03 AM
congratulations goose!!! everything will work out fine in the end, whatever you decide.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
August 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
That's awesome! I'm sure your family will understand that you have to live your life and do whats best for your immediate family.
and CO is a great place (and not just because it's my initials) I love that area. Brekenridge and a whole other slew of great spots aren't far from there. Ohh, and we will be opening a new store in Ft. Collins at the end of this year. (I think it's about 30-45 min from Denver)

Dresden
August 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Uther
August 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Aye, best of luck with whatever you pick. I went to Denver two years ago for some training, and it was a great place. From what I heard most of the people over there have move into the area. They had some water problems but the land was beautiful. Best of luck for you.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Congrats man, Seems a bunch of people on this server are going through changes. Hope everything works out for you and your family.

LA_MERC_goose
August 14th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys. I have done just that LaTech - my wife and I have been butting heads about this - for some reason I have all the positives and she has all the negatives. Women! lol

A little more about the position: I will be working for Prolifics (they have their own programming language and GUI developer - JAM/Panther and JPL is the code). They created a program with an Oracle database for the Dept of the Interior and if I understand they correctly, they do payroll for parts of the government. I will be an onsite contractor assigned to the project in Denver. I know what some of you are thinking - if they loose that contract I'm screwed. I thought the same thing and asked about it - come to find out they have multiple contracts in Denver and Prolifics told me they would move me to a new project. If I request it, they may move me on a project closer to "home" aka South Carolina.

This has been a tough descision but we are going to Denver; actually Lakewood but what's the difference! lol. I'll turn in my two week notice Monday and Prolifics wants me in New York city for a two week training class on Aug 30th. Then I'm off to Denver. I got a 1700 sq. ft. house in Florence, SC if anyone is interested. lol :)

I guess if you guys don't see me around for a little while, please understand that it's not that I think you guys stink - Diesel, change your underwear, it's starting to get bad ;).

SweetGirL
August 14th, 2004, 06:49 AM
..- for some reason I have all the positives and she has all the negatives. Women! lol

Hey, I resemble that remark!! LOL

Oh, Goose, I'm really happy and excited for you guys! Sounds like you have made the best decision based on providing for your family, your career, etc, but sounds to me like you are really going to enjoy your work - that is sooo important! Good luck to you! =)

[uGa] Saint
August 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Awesome Goose!!! Im glad you are so excited for this big change! Best of luck with the transition and hope the house goes for lots!!!! GL bro!!

Silent_Killer
August 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Gl man.......Have fun with all the moving crap. I'm behind u 100% on ur decision.

Suntrails
August 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Congratulations Goose! Good luck on your move.

LA_MERC_goose
August 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Thank you! Thank you!

I have accepted an offer and I will have to be in New York on the 30th of Aug to go through a class and then off the Denver, actually Lakewood. The hard part is I'm not moving my family right now - wife and kids are in school and I have a house to sell. Hopefully they have planes that fly from Denver to Florence - maybe I could get a pilot to help me out, I just don't know who that would be *wink wink* hehehe.

Well, if in a few weeks I'm not around for a while, give me a chance to get situated and I'll be back, I promise. Now I got to build a new computer to take with me - woohoo! "Comp Project Denver" is about to begin!!! }{(tm), I need to borrow that new case my friend. Sun, can you help a brotha out? hehehe

JUNKY
August 16th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Congrats Goose -- I plan on being up in Boulder for a few days hopefully visiting a friend sometime maybe in Oct/Nov/Dec. will give you a ring and say hello if I do.

Suntrails
August 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Now I got to build a new computer to take with me - woohoo! "Comp Project Denver" is about to begin!!! }{(tm), I need to borrow that new case my friend. Sun, can you help a brotha out? hehehe

To the SA-mobile!

... oh, almost forgot the knife....

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM
lol.

Goose, congrats, man. I, too, am going to start looking for a new job soon. You've inspired me!

LaTech

LA_MERC_MadMAX
August 16th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Congrats Alan!

LA_MERC_goose
August 17th, 2004, 06:20 AM
You've inspired me!

You're .... mocking me :stick

Sure Junky, give me a call. I'll send you my new cell number when I get there.

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 17th, 2004, 06:27 AM
no no...I'm serious. Between you and Suns, I've been inspired to find me a new job...granted, it may not pan out, but I'm gonna look anyway!

eNdOfBeGinNinG
August 17th, 2004, 07:01 AM
I got a 1700 sq. ft. house in Florence, SC if anyone is interested. lol :)
lauren and I are looking to move back to SC within the next 6months or so, but I dunno if we going back to florence.. Hmmm

btw gj mate, just keep your head up.. and don't take any "I told ya so"'s from the wife hehehe :ldm

[uGa] Saint
August 17th, 2004, 07:48 AM
good for you latech, you should make sure that you are happy with your life, cuz thats the only thing that really matters... hope you find what your looking for!!

SnAkEbItE
August 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Congradulations Gooseman..hope you like your new job and location, I allways thought that CO would be a great place to live.

Silent_Killer
August 17th, 2004, 02:46 PM
well, i think CO is closer than SC to louisiana..... i think...........

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 17th, 2004, 02:51 PM
b00n

Silent_Killer
August 17th, 2004, 03:04 PM
what did i do?

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM
your tried to think again!!

Silent_Killer
August 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
.............shut up diesel :stick :twak :bash :slp :fight

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM
omg when do you get geography in brusly?
Our tax dollars at work...

heheh jk :stick

FYI try yahoo maps

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==