PDA

View Full Version : Weird MSN Messenger Problem

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 16th, 2004, 02:20 AM
running windows XP

when i log off or restart my comp... my msn messenger will automatically log on.

but it wont give me any indication that it is running. even when i "show hidden icons" it still isnt there. the only way to stop it, is to double click my messenger to open it, and then shut it down.

and i seriously never restart or turn my computer off. but yet when im in counter strike.. all the sudden... the "new mail" little blue box pops up and lags me out.

anyone get this? or know what the deal is?

oh.. and one more thing.. for my msn to log on.. you have to click the "sign on" link.... i have it set to where it doesnt automatically log on after a reset. this is the main part that confuses me. anytime i want to log on to messenger i have to actually open it manually. on restart.. it takes the liberty of logging on itself.. and to my account at that. (my g/f uses my comp... thats why i dont check the "save password" and therefore you have to log on manually)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 16th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Start >> Run >> msconfig

Go to the startup tab, find the line that has to deal with msnmsg and uncheck it. Save and restart.

CajunTech
July 16th, 2004, 07:12 AM
If still having problems after Toby's fix then try this:

Click Start, Run

then copy the below line into the run box and click ok

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

This will uninstall MSN messenger.

Then go here (http://messenger.msn.com/) to download MSN messenger again.

I don't actually use messenger, but I have seen it tie itself to email programs. I've seen it open when someone opened outlook or outlook express.

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 16th, 2004, 07:16 AM
wow Cajun! Thanks!

At one time, I had the issue of every time I opened my email, MSN Mess would pop up...I then looked around and figured out that was an option in Outlook Express....doh!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 16th, 2004, 07:16 AM
CajunTech, there is an uninstall option in Add/Remove programs if you click on Add/Remove Windows Components..

CajunTech
July 16th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I don't think it always shows tho Toby.

If c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf file has
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs, inf,hide,7
it won't show. iF it has
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs, inf,,7
it will show.
I've seen some machines that don't show it. Why they are setup this way and what causes it? I have no clue.

Tech - I think I've seen that option once in outlook express. I've been using outlook for a while and haven't seen an option like that. I have it easy since I don;t use MSN messenger I just remove it. About the only time I do use it is for remote assistance.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==