PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for Hardware?

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 12th, 2004, 07:16 PM
where do you guys go to look up the top hardware products for computers?

say i wanted to find the top 3 or 4 companies that make each thing that goes in a computer

is there a sight that any of you search?

SweetGirL
July 12th, 2004, 07:18 PM
newegg or pricewatch - - - - We've purchased from them to build all of the five or six computers we have in da house! We are "royal computer geeks". :blue:

LA_MERC_Mercy
July 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
newegg all the way...i built my last system from newegg exclusively...they have all the top name brands...

[uGa] Saint
July 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
dude, toms hardware guide.... they tell you everything you need to know about each part... navigating the site takes some getting used to, but they do massive benchmarks using the same setup so that you can see what actually performs well and whats just hyped. www.tomshardware.com when you buy the pieces, go to the one sweets and mercy told ya about... just my opinion, im sure there are many other great sites out there.

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 12th, 2004, 10:56 PM
saint has the right idea

ive been to tomshardware before

i was wondering if there was other sites

i want a lot of reviews on stuff.. not really a place just to get something

LA_MERC_Mercy
July 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
www.hardocp.com is another good one to check for reviews..

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
ahhh.. sweet

thx mercy.. another added in

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I use this site......it is more of a collection of review sites.....

http://www.overclockercafe.com

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM
www.overclockers.com
www.cdrinfo.com
www.storagereview.com

those are good for info. When it comes time to buy...www.newegg.com is the only place to go. Some other site may be "cheaper", but newegg is going to get them every time in service.

LA_MERC_Sabre
July 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM
<A HREF="forumdisplay.php?f=6">I go here for advice</A>

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 13th, 2004, 06:44 AM
boon

[uGa] Saint
July 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
SABRE'S LAME!!! :P

LA_MERC_Sabre
July 13th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I speaketh the truth!

[uGa] Saint
July 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I speaketh the truth!

ok everyone stop for a second *kodak moment*

lol sabre, Im just giving you crap, i come here as well for help and advice...

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
July 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Tom's site is a joke. don't expect anything resembling reality there. He has a long history of being full of crap.

anandtech.com
amdzone.com
xbitlabs.com
techrepublic.com
gamepc.com

along with the other sites posted above (except Tom's site)
I used to be a pretty active member at madonion.com, but they went and got all uppity and changed to futuremark.com and started to go in a different direction with thier benchmarks. you might want to check them out for some vid related info, but not much other than that.

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM
sweet

this is all good stuff

thx guys

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM
www.overclockers.com
www.cdrinfo.com
www.storagereview.com

those are good for info. When it comes time to buy...www.newegg.com is the only place to go. Some other site may be "cheaper", but newegg is going to get them every time in service.

get them in service? what do they have in service that you would need?

ive had a dell for 3 years... in the end.. i just didnt know crap about computers. i'll never have a dell again... the "service" is worthless.. there was nothing that they did for me that i couldnt have done on my own. but thats why i went with them at first.. because they had all this "support"

omg... overpayed and owned me

gg

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Service - Let's asume that you're part arrives broken or breaks shortly after you get it...with NewEgg, you can replace it. Other places aren't so nice (trust me). Customer support is A+ with them, and you can tell.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
July 15th, 2004, 12:06 PM
there's no question. I've personally used Newegg for about 5 years. I've used them for the companies I've worked with for the past 4 years. I've used them to order all the parts for building a complete system for atleast 10 different people (and they continue to use Newegg now)
The only reason I would not buy from newegg is if they don't have what I need in stock.

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 15th, 2004, 01:43 PM
i guess its just hard to believe if your "piece" arrives broken.. they wouldnt replace it. i mean.. they obviously have a dealers license from whoever made the "piece" anyway. under a certain amount of days.. that should be no problem to get replaced. now if we are talking 5 to 6 months.. then yeah, who would replace that if you didnt get some type of warranty

CajunTech
July 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
If it breaks after 5 or 6 months call the manufacturer. Most parts do have a decent length manufacturer's warranty. When buying built systems, some vendors' (Dell) warranties supercede the manufacturer's warranty.

I've bought about 8 laptops, built over 30 computer (including my two gaming machines), and tons of parts from newegg. I have only gotten 2 bad motherboards and a bad DVD-burner from them. All of the bad parts I have are low end components that I should not have tried in the first place. At any time I could have contacted newegg or the manufacturer and gotten a replacement part.

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM
To me, it's all about service after the sale. If I have to jump through 10,000 hoops to get what I need to finish a job, that's too much work. With newegg, you say, "It's broke" and you get a new one (after you ship the old one back). Not only that, but they have one of the easiest to navigate sites I have seen as far as computer geek stuff goes...

CajunTech
July 15th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Bad experiences..

www.techsavings.com
Ordered 3 monitors which they showed thousands in stock. Three weeks later they hadn't shipped due to them supposedly trying to figure out the quickest place to ship from. Took over a month for them to finally cancel my order and credit my account.

Don't even remember the name of the other company. I used to buy basline systems from them for around $200, install software, get a monitor, and sell them for around $700ish (was a great deal at the time). I received one machine and the outside of the case and packaging were fine. Inside was a different story. The CD-ROM wouldn't open/close, inside case bracket was bent, hard drive wasn't screwed in, tons of problems. I figured someone had dumped a bunch of thier broken parts into the case and shipped it hoping to get thier money back from Fed-ex. Sure enough when I call they want to file a claim and won't hear of anything else. I had purchased over a dozen machines from these people with plans for plenty more until they screwed me. Took me 4 months and finally a letter from my lawyer before I got my money back.

CajunTech
July 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
To me, it's all about service after the sale. If I have to jump through 10,000 hoops to get what I need to finish a job, that's too much work. With newegg, you say, "It's broke" and you get a new one (after you ship the old one back). Not only that, but they have one of the easiest to navigate sites I have seen as far as computer geek stuff goes...

I totally agree. I'm full newegg/Dell nowadays except for special items. I could have easily sent the few bad items I received back to newegg with no hassle. Just laziness took over and didn't bother with it. Figure I made enough off the complete systems to cover the expense of the few busted parts.

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 15th, 2004, 03:15 PM
eWiz...bad BAD service 5 months after the purchase of a $300 video card. STILL haven't heard anything back from them and that was 2 months ago.

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 15th, 2004, 08:39 PM
eWiz...bad BAD service 5 months after the purchase of a $300 video card. STILL haven't heard anything back from them and that was 2 months ago.

what happened to your vid card?

Dunbarus
July 15th, 2004, 11:38 PM
zipzoomfly.com

I heard about this on TSS on TechTV (before G4 turned it to crap), they've got everything you'd need

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
July 16th, 2004, 02:10 AM
just to clear it up

im not wanting sites that sell stuff

just review sites

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
The fan on the video card died and the card self-destructed. Faulty fan (no dust).

CajunTech
July 16th, 2004, 07:02 AM
http://www.8dimensional.com/

I have this one bookmarked. Has links to other sites with mainboard and video card reviews every day.

I also use www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com .

I use the two above sites and newegg to figure out the part I want and thier prices. Then search google using "model" and "review" in the search field. Then I do a little research on my narrowed down choices.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
www.gruntville.com has some decent reviews on stuff, and some kewl mods projects. Reformatted not too long ago and lost all my favs, had some good stuff on there too, blah!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==