PDA

View Full Version : Why does Steam suck?

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
I attempted to play a little CS today and when I went to join a server it told me that CS had to update....the June 28 update. Which I'm pretty sure I've already downloaded, since I've played a couple of times so far this month. I only had about 40 minutes to play and being on 56k the download looked to take up most of that time. The last update, can't remember if it was Steam or CS, I downloaded a total of 4 times. Every time I restarted my computer and started up Steam I had to redownload an update I already had. I know most of you guys and gals have broadband b/c you live in a place where you can actually see your neighbors. But for those of us in the sticks this just #$%&! _()*^*.

Well that's my rant for the day, hope everyone else is having a great day!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM
There was an updated released to fix that issue. When you have time, try it again. If you get that same update window, close steam, delete clientregistry.blob in the steam folder and then open steam back up. See if that doesn't fix things.

}{y|3ri|)
July 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
and if that doesnt work, go down to your local hardware shop, purchase the largets hammer you can find, then come home and use your imagination!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 9th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Jared Ima a redneck, if I get that PO'd about it I'll break out the ole 12 gauge.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 10th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Whelp! I didn't have to redownload anything today after I restarted my computer. But I still can't play..../sigh........./endsigh...now I got an error as I tried to connect that said "Error! Server validation failed." So I deleted my clientregistry.blob closed steam and tried again. After a 25 minute redownload of that file I'm still getting the same message.

In closing Steam still sucks!

SweetGirL
July 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Not that it does any good, but I agree.....Steam bites the big one! I have been cleaning all friggin day!! I just want to play CS for a few minutes and relax before going outside to do yardwork and the pool. But NOOOOOOOO......same message Ex got.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 10th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well atleast it's not just me than, must have some of the content servers offline. I get the message right when I should be downloading the anticheat thingy.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Can you join the second merc server or any other server for that matter?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM
It does seem to be an issue with Steam right now.. They might have been hacked..

But it does look like people are starting to be able to join games.

Swedish
July 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Adding to the reasons steam sucks: The friends list is NEVER working! how hard could it be to make a program like that work?

SweetGirL
July 10th, 2004, 04:30 PM
5:30pm I got onto the server and played a map of Inferno........I'm happy now! Woot! lol

As for Friends List, Swedish, mine has been "in maintenance" for over a week now too.

Mikeneko_Pi
July 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Adding to the reasons steam sucks: The friends list is NEVER working! how hard could it be to make a program like that work?

Wow my friends list works like 99.5% of the time. Thats wierd.

Silent_Killer
July 11th, 2004, 10:29 AM
hey Exiles that happend to us once and we just made a new account and it didnt do it anymore.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah is was Steam haxin me again, I could join the [lag] server but not the first 4 I tried.

Slayer
July 13th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I've had the same problem. What's weird is that you an join some servers but not others. :dunno My friends list has now moved from saying "Under Maintenance" to " It's never gonna work you boon." :(

SweetGirL
July 14th, 2004, 09:08 AM
My FRIENDS LIST came up last night! Steam's maintenance on my list took about two weeks +/-! Now I can be disturbed throughout my CS'ing playing by people messaging me! Woot!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==