PDA

View Full Version : Accident in WV..

Seductive
June 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
One official calls barrier 'an accident waiting to happen'

MARTINSBURG - It was an accident waiting to happen.

That's the way Berkeley County Commissioner Howard Strauss described the barrier cables that failed to protect two young men who died in a weekend crash.

The crash, which occurred about 8:30 a.m. Saturday, turned Interstate 81 into a churning conflagration of twisted, melted metal and debris and snarled traffic throughout downtown Martinsburg for nearly 10 hours.

"This accident proved (the barrier cable) will not stop a truck," Strauss said.

The weekend crash killed Mark Hubbard, 36, of Martinsville, Va. and 29-year-old Alexander Springer of Norfolk, Conn., when Springer's northbound tractor-trailer sliced through a section of barrier cable after crossing an overpass at Exit 12. Springer's rig collided head-on with the truck driven by Hubbard.

Both trucks exploded on impact, according to a deputy with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department. The explosion occurred when the fuel tank of the northbound vehicle was ripped open as the truck skidded against a barrier for more than a quarter of a mile, authorities said.

Maximus
June 15th, 2004, 11:22 AM
uh, reporting the local news now? or is this about someone we know?

aCiD
June 15th, 2004, 11:46 AM
thats where they live numb pecan :d:

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM
:drive
:eek:
:flamed

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM
flamer

are you trying to tell us something Mike?

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM
lol

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 15th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I wasn't finished !! :(
:lol:
I forgot the d :p:

PaRaNoiD
June 16th, 2004, 11:52 AM
omg seductive, I was in Martinsburg all yesterday- and didn't even hear about it.... *remembers all those cops directing traffic by 81 and taking FOREVER to let me goto work* Ohhhhhhhh, I thought the traffic lights were out or something.. CRAP I missed seeing all that? Only a few feet away too!!

:(

LA_MERC_Spark
June 16th, 2004, 12:56 PM
CRAP I missed seeing all that? Only a few feet away too!!

:(

rubber necker!! :twak

PaRaNoiD
June 17th, 2004, 08:51 PM
spark plug!!

Maximus
June 18th, 2004, 09:12 AM
"In related news, a cat was rescued from a tree today as local firefighters got him down with a high pressure water cannon. The feline suffered only minor injuries and some missing hair." Back to you Bob!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==