PDA

View Full Version : got a weird problem

LA_MERC_Maverick
June 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Whenever I try to play any video files, be it in Media Player 9, Real Player, or PowerDVD, it invariably locks up the system so bad that I have to manually reboot the system. I have just reformatted with Windows XP, downloaded all the patches, installed all the latest drivers and still have the same issue. I can play games all day long with no problems, but I cannot play any video files. I cannot even play streaming video from the Internet, but Media Player locks up, then system goes to 100% usage. I ran spy bot and it found some Windows Media Player Client Id issues, but that has not seemed to fix my issue.
Here is the error message that is recorded in the Event Viewer after rebooting the system. Ive done a google search on it, and done what I could find based on it, but still no luck:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007041F from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemob j.cpp.
This is by far the weirdest thing Ive ever seen.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 13th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Throw that damn ATI card in the trash and buy a real video card (i.e. Nvidia)...

Just kidding.

I thought you were running 2k3? was it doing it on that, and is STILL doing it on XP? If so, sounds hardware too me.

Have you tried Linux?

You know me though, I have to touch it and get my hands on it to figure it out - I'm working 12-9 m,t &w, but my normal 8-4 on thurs if you want me to look at it on my off time.

LA_MERC_Maverick
June 14th, 2004, 05:31 AM
It was doing it on 2k3 first, then I switched to XP to fix it and it was still doing it. I dont know why it should be a hardware problem when I can play video games without a problem and it only occurs when trying to play video files. It just doesnt make sense.

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 14th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Mav,

Try Zoom Player (http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml) and see if that works. This is just for S&G's...

LaTech

}{y|3ri|)
June 14th, 2004, 09:49 AM
ive got a similar problem, media player 9 crashes my computer everytime i try to open a movie, winamp just takes over now, but even if i just try to open media player 9 it locks up my system.

LA_MERC_Maverick
June 14th, 2004, 09:53 PM
latech, i tried that player, it worked for about 2 secs, then it locked up too. The thing is sometimes I can close the programs, but it is still running in processes in task manager, but when I end process I get 100% CPU usage and I have to reboot. I have no idea, I guess pretty much the only thing left is to format and reinstall again, then try it first and see if maybe it is a recent patch or installation file that is causing the problem. You dont think it has anything to do with the new ATI drivers? Hadnt thought of that, it started happening after I loaded those on the 2k3...hmmmmm....

LA_MERC_Maverick
June 14th, 2004, 10:08 PM
WOOHOO! I fixed it! I loaded the old 4.5 catalyst drivers and everything works just fine, I dont know why the new drivers are causing problems, but hey thats computers for you.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 15th, 2004, 01:36 AM
See, I told you it was that Darn ATI card :D
Although, it's a "software problem", in that the drivers caused the problem, it's also a hardware problem because if you had an Nvidia card, you'd never have SEEN the problem..

Heck, what am I talking about...me and my SIS integrated :)

aCiD
June 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
i have an ATi card... lol...i need a new puter.. w00ty w00t

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==