PDA

View Full Version : here yellowdog, truckguy or any "car guys"

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 12th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Hey guys - I've been looking for a vehicle for my mom to drive for some time now, and I found something I like - at least by apperances. I found a 1985 Ford Ranger, Auto, V6 sitting on a lot today (which was closed) - cosmetically I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10, and it has new tires. I haven't heard it run, or driven it yet - as the dealer was closed.

What's the highest something like that should be worth?

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 12th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Vehicle cost depends on a lot of things: Mileage, parts (original motor, trans etc), and area that you live in just to name a few. I mean, I know you know this...just trying to help...lol

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah - i know scott - forgot to mention - Mileage seem to be 103000 and some change (03000 and change on the odometer, so I'm assuming it's turned over already).

Like I said, haven't talked to the dealer, heard it run or anything - i'll have to wait until monday for that - no price on the sticker...blue book looks to be $1790.

BUT - mom fell in love w/ the truck (she was w/ me when i saw it) - so I'm gonna try to get it for her if the price is right, and it seems mechanically sound.

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Max I have been in the auto business for some time now and I know the tricks of the trade. First thing, make sure you bring the truck to a mechanic you can trust. Dealers like to Armor All EVERYTHING under the hood to make it look nice. Another one is that they put a spoonful of brake fluid in the oil and it temporarely stops oil leaks. In the long run the brake fluid really causes leaks. I can probably give you a really scary list of "tricks" people use to make a quick sale. I don't mean to scare ya into not buying the truck, but with older models you must be VERY careful.

Dresden
June 13th, 2004, 12:03 AM
with older models you must be VERY careful.Yeah....and sometimes newer models too....**mumbles something about a 100 doller blower motor**

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 13th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Well, nobody held a gun to your head and made you buy a Dodge.

LA_MERC_Sniper
June 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
max what dealer has it? You know i used to sel cars right? I might know whos selling it. You need to stay away from some of these guys around here. let me know

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 13th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Robbie - the truck is at "Snipes used cars" on 2nd Loop - know anything about them?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 13th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Well if your got to have an automatic truck a v6 is no doubt what you will have to have, the 4cy dont have enough power to pull an auto w/o being a slug. The only prob. I have with any ford out of the mid 80's is the smog control that was put on them, it Either has been disabled and bypassed or it dont work and is going to cause the truck to run like crap. It would be better if all the emision controls have been patched up and bypassed by now. Rubber vacume lines on autos of that era dont do well after 20 years, and it is going on its 20TH birthday. If the guy wants 2 or 3 grand for the truck then it aint worth it. 1000 to 1500 is about all i would give for it, That is if it runs good and everything works like its suppose to. And that is a Lot price im talking about, cause you can bet the guy who has it prob aint got 500 to 700 in it.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 13th, 2004, 11:01 PM
kk - thanks Parker - BTW - it's got to be an Auto for mom - that's why I'm looking becuase she can't drive my truck because it's a stick...

I'm going to look at it in the morning before I got to work, and hopefully drive it.

I'll let you know what's going on w/ it.

j.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 13th, 2004, 11:10 PM
BTW - Parker - i think it MIGHT have been a conversion from stick to auto, as it has a floor shifter and a small brake pedal.

I don't know if Automatic ford Rangers at that time would have had a column auto or a floor auto, but most Automatics I've seen in pickups have a wider break pedal than what is in my stick GMC, and this was about the same size as my GMC. And they almost always have a column shifted auto. But that is based on my limited knowledge.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Just did some "googleing" and found that the Floor Shifted Auto and Small brake pedal are normal for a Automatic ranger of that age....

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
June 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM
I had a 85 BroncoII 4x4 auto v6 for a while when I was in grad school. that thing was a piece of crap. I could almost set my watch by the regular basis it would leave me on the side of the road.

I paid $700 for it because it had a problem with the transfer case. I fixed it myself, put a little other money in it for various parts to keep it running. finnally got fed up with it leaving me stuck on the side of the road so many times, I sold it to a guy I knew down the street. told him upfront all the problems I had with it and he was convinced it was something with the fuel.

he replaced the tank, fuel pump, all fuel lines and carberator...the dang thing still gave him trouble. he drove it to florida and back with no problems, then he got in it to go get some groceries and the thing cut out on him half way to the store.

He finally pulled the engine and put in a 5.0L (302 for the old school guys) and a new 4spd auto tranny. with new engine, tranny, exhaust, electrical, and everything that has to do with fuel.............IT STILL CUTS OUT on the road!!!

guess it's just the curse of the Ford badge on the grill.

for the 85 ford ranger auto v6 - I don't care what nada says, I wouldn't give more than $1k (probably wouldn't go over $800 to be honest). that thing is not going to get the best gas milage and most people buying cars now are very concerned with that since it will be a long long time till gas prices ever go back down (if they ever will) that dealer will want to get that truck off the lot.
have it fully checked out by a trusted mechanic shop. if it passes then offer him $800 citing all kind of stuff about gas prices, the milage the truck gets, how many total miles the truck has on it (72 - 87 were not good years for Ford, most of the stuff in that time frame is pure crap), surely the guy will give you the "I got kids to feed" line but don't go out of there paying more than what you are willing to spend (after taxes, etc.)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 14th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Called the guy this morning and laughed at him when he said he wanted $2500...he then hung up on me :(

Anyway - the search is still on - i'll find her something eventually - thanks for all the replies guys!

LA_MERC_Sniper
June 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM
hey captain im sorry to hear that you had problems with your bronco but i too had one 85' Bronco II 4x4 and it was the bomb it was a 2.8 or 2.9 v-6 dont remember which it was the bomb until it died with 220,000 miles on it so sometimes you get a lemon and some times you get a watermelon heheh

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM
lol Jayson...You know it's a bad sign when your customer laughs in your face. lmao!!!

TruckGuy
June 14th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Max, just let me know if you find somethin, I'll be glad to either go look at it with you or you could bring it up to the shop one afternoon and I'll put it on the rack and give it a quick once over. I think you have my cell #. I'll keep an eye out for somethin on our lot, but the sales guys up here think most of their crap is like gold. What lot did you find the ranger at?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Snipes formerly new, recently new, previously driven, newly reprocessed, USED CARS!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 14th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Well - i had some time to kill this morning, and just for kicks, I went by to see the truck - guy asked me if I wanted to drive it, so I said -ok.

Anyway - the damn thing wouldn't run enough for me to get out of the lot w/ it - i practically had to push it back into it's parking spot!

what a rip-off!

LA_MERC_Sniper
June 14th, 2004, 11:28 PM
ha ha stay away from there man never heard anything good about snipes. oh and truckguy where do you work?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 14th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for keeping an eye out Charlie - my only requirements are Cheap and Automatic Tranny (unless you want to teach a 57 year old woman that has always used her left foot for the brake to drive a standard :) ) Which is kind of funny, because I know she can drive a standard since she learned how to drive in her Dad's Galaxie which had a 3 sp on the Column - she's just forgot and scared to relearn...

In other words, if it was made after 1990, i probably can't afford it.

Also, is it possible to take the manual out of my Sonoma and put an Auto in there? Would that be more than it's worth??? It's a '95 w/ a 2.2L I4

I got my work van today ('03 Ford Windstar) and I'll be driving it every day. I would go just trade my pickup in, but my credit sux - only reason I have it is because of my Uncle. And too think - when I bought my truck I could have gotten a '99 Sonoma but wouldn't have it because it was Automatic :(

TruckGuy
June 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM
You would probably have to buy a wrecked A/T truck from a salvage yard to make sure you had everything you need. I'm not sure if that year truck had seperate engine control units and tranny control units, or if they had combined them into a pcm yet. most manufacturers didn't combine them until everything went to OBDII, right around the '95-'96 model years. I know everthing had to be OBDII by '97. It would probably be more time consuming and money than its worth. But if you have the time and the money, you can put just about anything in anything.

TruckGuy
June 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
If you get a chance, go by Craig's used cars. Talk to Mark only! He's a good friend of mine, tell him I sent you over and tell him what you are looking for. Don't let Mike help you (he's Marks older brother). Still let me look at it before you buy. Mark's a good guy, but he's been a car dealer all his life, so he's just tryin to push cars. Let me know if you find anything.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 15th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Sniper.... Charlie works at Cale Yarborough Honda " WUZ Mazda " dealership....

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 15th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Charlie - I DID stop by Craigs about a month ago and he had a little '79 Ford Fairmont, but wanted $1200 for it, and I knew that was too much. Don't know who I talked too but it was a grey haired man with Glasses.

TruckGuy
June 16th, 2004, 06:21 AM
That was probably Craig, thats Marks dad. He doesnt work there very often, he's kinda semi retired.

LA_MERC_goose
June 16th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Max, if ya need to, I use to work for Rex, the owner of Palmetto Cars on West Palmetto Street, well it's Carolina Cars now. If you need me to I can see what he's got access to.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==