PDA

View Full Version : What do you do??

[uGa] Saint
June 11th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I just finished my first week at my new job and started wondering what exactly everyone else does, I can start off...

I work for a company called Direct Supply which is an Eldercare Equipment provider. We enlist nursing homes and nursing corporations and then force low prices on the manufacturers. I work in Market Research, querying the database per request, and doing competetive analysis for the rest of the company. That basically means I gather statistics and other random numbers for other people to use in reports and meetings. It's an Internship for now, working full-time for 11 bucks an hour, and hopefully it will end up being a full position after I graduate. Best thing about my job is the huge fridges full of free soda...

anyways, let's hear what YOU do. (i know its a stupid thread but im bored)

Ryan

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Well...

I work from Grambling State University in the School of Nursing as the Director of Media. That's a really long title for: Works on computers and teaches classes. My day usually consists of tech support calls from students and faculty, re-installing software that some student deleted, and teaching the Computers for Nurses class (medical terminology and Microsoft Office are learned there). I've almost been her for 2 years, and will actually begin my MBA work sometime in November or December.

Scott

LA_MERC_goose
June 11th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Programmer for IBSS in Columbia, SC. I write code for Manufacturing systems used by companies like Fruit of the Loom to track their inventory movements, create reports for their internal use and ..... well other than web-surf, nothing.

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 07:39 AM
haha, Goose helps Fruit of the Loom track "movements"!!!

JUNKY
June 11th, 2004, 07:44 AM
ALERT, ALERT!!!!!! We have skidmarks detected in the skivvies in the warehouse 43 off of the New Jersey Turnpike!!! Alert those guys dressed up like fruit and get them over there ASAP to distract the authorities!!!!

Oh, and I work for a Telecommunications company. Quality assurance analyst.

LA_MERC_Drifter
June 11th, 2004, 07:45 AM
You got :owned

CajunTech
June 11th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I work for a John Deere manufacturing company. Currently I run the help desk, am the only technician, handle network backups, site security (virus alerts, etc), and I also research and purchase all of our IT equipment. I am responsible for 20 servers and 275 PCs accross three plants, a training facility, and an administration building.

Afterhours and weekends I run a small business handling computer sales, repairs, security, networking, and consulting. I handle 2 large businesses, 18 small businesses and lots of personal computers/home networks. I've sold around 70 computers in the past 2 years which I don't think is too bad since I've never spent any money on advertising.

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I work for an ISP/CLEC/ILEC (internet and phone company), I'm the Network Systems Administrator. I take care of all the servers and routers, basically anything that has an ip address on it. I also do some transport stuff, mainly in our ATM network, provisioning complex DSL circuits and whatnot.

}{y|3ri|)
June 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I work for Plexus Corporation.

A description about my company taken from its website (which i built):

www.plexusintl.com

www.plexusintl.com/us/ Direct link to Plexus US

"Plexus Corporation is an international developer of tools for organizations seeking compliance or registration to ISO 9000-based quality management systems. Our training materials are written in numerous languages and our training methods are conducted through on-site sessions, AIAG & ASQ, via interactive CD (eFMEA), and with the aid of process management software. Plexus develops these tools to provide customers with the most useful training based on their unique situation and experience. Each course delivers comprehensive insights and training for effective implementation. You’ll have all the tools, knowledge and understanding to embark on a full compliance program — and put your organization firmly on the path of measurable performance improvement."

What i do here really is only limited to what i feel i can handle... or they think i can handle. Its a crazy company with hidden departments, but they really call them 'Processes'. And the people in charge are 'Processes Owners.'

Well i work as IT support for about 5 of those departments... erm i mean 'Processes': Network Administrator Assistant, In office IT (anything from rebuilding computers to error checking and anything else i can do with computers that can save it from being outsourced), Web Site Development (including international sites... also means setting up online forms programs or surveys.. basically anything they think they want to put on a website), Software testing (we create some online and actual software programs 'Terrapene' for example (www.terrapeneintl.com I made that site too) whole crapload of stuff goes on there from software testing, to technical support to customers) Sales and marketing software assistance (basically making sales pitches to the IT of other companies)....

Anyhow i do alot of crap... but to be 22 with no college Degree (yet! working on finishing up next year!) and to be taking an active part in real time work... really helps my resume.

I guess to sum it all up, if i was to have a job title.. it would be "Mr get stuff done in IT."

ohh ya i play on the computer all day too... :z

CajunTech
June 11th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Better than my official job title. As of May 1st I've been classified as a Computer Support Associate III. When I asked what the hell is that they couldn't give me an answer because the job descriptions aren't available yet.
:shootme:

}{y|3ri|)
June 11th, 2004, 08:38 AM
hahahahahahahahaha

[uGa] Saint
June 11th, 2004, 08:42 AM
LOL! job title hax

Suntrails
June 11th, 2004, 08:53 AM
ohh ya i play on the computer all day too... :z

Ha! So you admit that I'm not the only one!

I work at the same company as }{. My job description is equally as long, boring and confusing.

First, I work as a Marketing/Sales minion, doing just about whatever they want me to do - writing, editing, and sending mass marketing emails, entering and organizing customer information into databases, coordinating trade show appearances (which I never get to actually go to) and also dealing with our aerospace training classes.

I coordinate all the aerospace courses, reserving meeting space, organizing menus, getting people registered, promoting the courses and doing follow up administrative work for them. I deal a lot with Boeing, and am starting to deal more with the Defense Contract Management Agency and U.S. Air Force.

I started out here as the CEO's admin, but I've been doing less and less of that recently. Half the time I don't even know where he is.

I'm also the company's travel agent. I'm not quite sure how I got suckered into that position, since I have no experience in it whatsoever. I guess all you really have to know is how to sit on hold when you call the airlines.

You'd think all that would keep me busy during the day. You'd think that. But you'd be wrong.

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 11th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I'm a mechanical engineer at Cameron. I too play on computers all day, but in the form of mathematical analysis and 3-D modeling using MathCAD and Inventor. We mostly work on subsea oilfield equipment including manifolds, jumpers, gate valves...etc.

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM
First, I work as a Marketing/Sales minion, doing just about whatever they want me to do - writing, editing, and sending mass marketing emails,

spammer?

Suntrails
June 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
spammer?

According to my boss it's "advertising." Off the record? Yeah. Spamming. I'm so proud of what I do. :shootme:

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 09:18 AM
no worries, I thought about becoming a *real* spammer at one time. =)

Suntrails
June 11th, 2004, 09:29 AM
There are *fake* spammers?

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
well I wouldn't call what you do "real" spamming. I'm talking about loading up and sending millions of messages, that's real spamming.

}{y|3ri|)
June 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM
lol it takes her computer 4 hours to send out over 10k+ e-mails, thats spam enough for me lol

LA_MERC_goose
June 11th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Wow! Talk about a touchy situation :twak

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
June 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Automotive Engineer Tech II, I build Dodge Durango's on an assembly line. Just about the boringest job on the planet, I do the exact same thing 400+ times everyday I go to work. Although at present we are on a 4/10 schedule, meaning we work 4 ten hour days, so now I get a 3 day weekend which is sweet!

If you know a little something about frames and cars in general you may even understand this....First I pick up 3 nuts and 3 bolts, then obtain a jounce bumper and put it on the frame. Next I pickup a front upper control arm, sometimes called an A arm, use 2 bolts and 2 nuts which I loose assemble to the frame. Then I move to the back of the frame and tightened a routing bracket for the driver's side parking brake. Loose assemble my last nut and bolt to the rear sway bar attaching it to the frame. I grab the passenger's side parking brake line and route it through 2 holes in the frame. Finally I tighten the bell crank bolt then I return to reading for about 20 to 30 seconds and start the whole process over again.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
June 11th, 2004, 10:45 AM
ouch....

time to make the donuts...
I made the donuts....
time to make the donuts...

[uGa] Saint
June 11th, 2004, 11:02 AM
i guess that means you get a pretty good discount on durangos... feel like sharing the wealth?? haha, jk.

SweetGirL
June 11th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I have a background in biomedical science (originally started at Duke University and then University of South AL). Originally, I was a Research Assistant in Pediatric Neurology for the College of Medicine at the University of South AL. I assessed children with sickle cell disease and those pediatric neurology patients with diagnoses of cerebral palsy, epilepsy, etc. I did usually nursing duties such as vital signs, taking temp, pulse and calling in/adjusting medications until I began my research position in which I scheduled MRI's, psychological evaluations, EEG's, neurological evals, etc.

I have since stopped working and am a full-time mom and housewife. Not so glamorous but neither was my original job. lol Wouldn't trade what I do for the world - caring, loving, nuturing and attending to children whom you want to raise to be self-sufficient, loving, intelligent and mature adults is no simple labor. I'll earn my angel wings in whatever capacity and way I possibly can. =)

Silent_Killer
June 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I work from Grambling State University in the School of Nursing as the Director of Media. That's a really long title for: Works on computers and teaches classes. My day usually consists of tech support calls from students and faculty, re-installing software that some student deleted, and teaching the Computers for Nurses class (medical terminology and Microsoft Office are learned there). I've almost been her for 2 years, and will actually begin my MBA work sometime in November or December.

Uhhh tech u forgot talk to me all day

Btw, i go to school

Apocalypse
June 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I'm a full-time college student on summer vacation until the end of August. I'm a Criminology major at Marquette University.

Currently, I'm working and going to summer school (And for Silent_Killer, just because you go to summer school doesn't mean you're a bad student) . I work for my park district. I work at 2 locations, a sports complex and a pool. /

/trying to make my job sound more complex than it actually is....

Ok, ok...I'm that guy who sells food, checks out equipment, yells at the kids who are running, and is seen walking around with a broom and dust pan. LOL. I also play the banjo and dance for money. :)

Maximus
June 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM
I work for Plexus Corporation.

A description about my company taken from its website (which i built):

Hey, on your little map on the first link, you forgot to add Alaska as part of the United States! You may know how to build a website, but you don't know geography! ;) Anyways Mr. get stuff done in IT, there's something for you to get done in IT! Thought I'd let you know about that...HEHEHE Looks good though!

Maximus
June 11th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I'm the IT Director for G3 Mudlogging Services. It's hard to explain what mudlogging is, but basically it hasta do with digging up dirt and mud, sticking it under a microscope, and checking to see if there's any oil or gas in it for further drilling purposes. Anyways, I make sure that the computers that go out on the field have all the right programs, files and all that other bruhaha on them so that I don't hafta make a special 100 mile trip out there for 15 minutes of work. Otherwise, I sit on my butt, watch DVDs and play computer games while navigating the net on the company's blazing fast AOL dial up!

I'm also the lead singer in a band called First Strike www.firststrikemusic.com (shameless plug) In this job, I entertain people and pretend I'm a rock star (which I will be someday!)

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I also forgot, I'm the official proof-reader for the Plexus Corp...lmao!

1Str8G
June 11th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I originally worked for a company called Serivce Zone but we got bought out by a company called ClientLogic in January. We are a 750 seat callcenter and I am the Telcommunications/Network Engineer for our site. I have been working here since we opened 4 years ago. We have an Avaya G3R and I do almost all of the programming and daily changes in it. We also have an assortment of Nortel and Cisco equipment that I operate also. We have a total of 14 T1's coming into the site for voice and data. Pictures of everything I work on can be found here:
Link to Pictures of work (http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=142151&groupid=194783&folderview=thumbs&ck=)

I also still goto college. I have about 2 years left in college and when i get done if I keep my timeline right I will have my CCNA (finished), Network+(finished), Linux+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE, and 2 degrees in networking.

My wife is an LPN and she starts LSU's medical school in New Orleans for her RN in January if she gets in. Over 300 people apply per semester and only 80 people get in, but her GPA is currently 3.7 so she has a good chance at making it. If she gets in she will be done in 3 years. She works night shift on the weekends because it's easy work at night and shift divs add about 7 dollars extra per hour, which is also why I am in the server on the weekend so much.

roXet
June 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I need to take some pics of our switch room, but we'll have to get back there and clean that crap up first....

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
June 11th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I help sell chicken.

Swedish
June 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I just got fired from my crappy job at century theaters. they thought i was stealing because i had $11 more in my cashregister then they thought i should have had (doesnt make any sense to me). looking for any job right now. wanna help? j/k lol

TruckGuy
June 11th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I have been a Honda Technician for about 13 years now (technician in my case is a fancy word for grease monkey). I also have a shop at home where i fix on any other brand of car that darkens my driveway. I enjoy what i do, but on days like today, when its 96 degrees in the shop, I wish i had stayed in college and found somethin' to do indoors.

}{y|3ri|)
June 11th, 2004, 03:21 PM
lol maximus.. i took the easy way out in my coding.. LOL

and yes tech is on a contact basis wtih Plexus as my Proof reader.. hahaha

Daedelus
June 11th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I work for U.S. Department of Veterans affairs at the Portald Va. medical center in the Emergency room. doing Administrative functions for the Dr's and nursing staff.
oh the benefits for a Government job are great, I even got today off paid for Ex-Pres Regans funeral. now aint that nice of them.

:vet:

Maximus
June 11th, 2004, 04:50 PM
then in that case LaTech, DO YO JOBBY JOB! HAHAHAHA!!! Proof Reader! WOOOWEEEE I needed that today! Thanks guys!

LA_MERC_Spark
June 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I teach people how to fly planes....... very scarry stuff some days.... pay really sux too..

LA_MERC_Drax
June 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM
don't you have to know how to fly a plane before you can teach someone how to fly one?????

o btw, im a student/party go-er. sometimes im in class, othertimes im in a bar

Potential Threat
June 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Ahhh....my summer job...I have the worst sun burn and jock itch in the history of man kind. Any way...picture me (My avature if you didnt know that) 1000000000000000000000x redder. I work with my Grandfater...he owns ruston welding service. I weld, and...well we do logging, and fix trucks, build multi use trucks, saw logs, and....well you get it. Everything under the sun...and I do mean under the sun. As for what I want to do after I am out of college, I plan to start me up a business....

For hybrid: I stroke it to the north and I stroke it to the south...i stroke it every where i even stroke it with my ..... wooh.... i be strokin. (Sorry had that song on at the time... :P)

aCiD
June 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
i work at Honda :d: im right now in Shipping/Material handling/Production Assoc.- hours suck, pay is great, always tired :d:

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I work for a company called Scientific Gaming. I'm a Field Tech for eastern South Carolina, and basically, I drive around and fix the state's lottery machines (which are really just 333MHz AMD K6-2's (Baby AT mobo) w/ 64MB Ram, w/ a built in touch screen, a thermal printer and 2 scanners running Win98 w/ a full screen app that replaces explorer as the shell - however I can hook in a keyboard and bring up explorer). Here is the "Extrema" from the SciGames site... http://www.scigames.com/sgcorp/p_extrema.asp

This is actually my first week on th is job, and I'm really enjoying it. All this week, I've been in Columbia working with the bench techs there, and just went on the road the first time today - for SC guys - today I went from Columbia to Blackville to Barnwell, to Allendale back to Columbia and then back to Florence....whew!

Starting next week however, I'll be in my normal territory of Sumter County east to Marion county and from the NC Border south to Clarendon county.

x[rebequa]
June 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I am a customer sales rep for cricket wireless in the billing department. Basically I repeat myself from 1:30pm -9pm every day for anywhere from 70-120 calls a shift.
and I get paid 9 bucks an hour to do it. I am leet.

Potential Threat
June 12th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I guess its another one of the people like on office space "Corprit accounts payable, nema speaking....Just a moment."

Dresden
June 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I work in corrections as a shift sergeant :jail: . Basicly I push papers most of the day. I'm about to go back to college to finish up degrees in math and government.

LA_MERC_JESTER
June 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM
OK so which one of you is boss enough to give me a JOB I am looking for a new oneS

Silent_Killer
June 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM
No job for u jester lol happy hunting is all i can say

Daedelus
June 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM
What area of the contry you live in and what type of job would you like?
I could pull some strings but need to find out what area you live.

LA_MERC_Heater
June 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
I am a Store Manager for Wal-Mart..It is one of the hometown smaller Wal-Marts 43000sf.Manage right around 100 people...Very much a headache..lol

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
June 22nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
I am a Police Officer for the City of Ruston. I work night shift on patrol, train new officers, am a member of the SWAT Team with positions on the Entry team and one of the Snipers for the team.

Corp
June 24th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I like Heater work for Wal-Mart..but i am a Loss Prevention ...which mean i get paid to walk around the store and pretend that i am shopping while i actually am watchin peeps steal from us .. i then stop them and get them arressted ..oh and sometimes i get bitten lol .. DOH got bitten again two weeks ago heater.. had this guy in a Headlock and he started to bite my forarm ...

Corp
June 24th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Hey Dresden how long have u been in corrections (in oz we call you guys SCREWS lol) <<don't know why but they do.... i always wounder what it's like to work in a prison...

JUNKY
June 24th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I like Heater work for Wal-Mart..but i am a Loss Prevention ...which mean i get paid to walk around the store and pretend that i am shopping while i actually am watchin peeps steal from us .. i then stop them and get them arressted ..oh and sometimes i get bitten lol .. DOH got bitten again two weeks ago heater.. had this guy in a Headlock and he started to bite my forarm ...

Off with his head!!

SweetGirL
June 24th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I bit you the other day too, Outkast (er, not for the forums). *giggles*

[uGa] Saint
June 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM
lol, this is getting scandelous....

Dresden
June 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Hey Dresden how long have u been in corrections (in oz we call you guys SCREWS lol) <<don't know why but they do.... i always wounder what it's like to work in a prison...About three years now

LA_MERC_Heater
June 25th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Lol...YOu better get a big shot for that...The last one i tryed to stop pulled a blade out on me,i chase him across the parking lot while on the walkie talkie having the store call the police...He thought he got away untill the cops pulled him out from under a house..It was fun rubbing it in his face when they brought him back for me to fill out the paper work on him..lol

SweetGirL
June 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Not only did he get shots and hepatitis vaccines, etc, he was loaded with pills for about 8 weeks that cost the company over $1,000. They found a crackpipe on the man that bit him; the man refused AIDS testing and was somehow protected by law which wouldn't force him to provide blood for sampling. It was really a terrifying experience to watch Pete go through the testing, and the medications made him feel very sick each day. As a result of that, he now targets 16-year-old girls stealing makeup. *giggles*

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 25th, 2004, 10:14 PM
What do I DO???

Nothing

NoXiOuS
June 26th, 2004, 12:19 AM
im a network technology student right now, about to graduate from that.
other than that, i keep the bed company.......

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM
LMAO @ sweets! Poor Peter! I actually saw one of those "bust downs" not too long ago. I swear if they ever grab me like that, there is going to be blood involved... :weeee

[C.O.P.S] InfectioN
June 28th, 2004, 08:18 AM
i work at Sears in sales because my BS of a university (university of southern mississippi) doesnt co-op their students. and since i just graduated with a BS in software engineering with no experience... no one wants to hire me. so all i got is a sales job right now and no contacts or leads on getting a job i can start out at.

gg USM

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
June 28th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I work as a Children's care specialist full time. I graduated with a BS at the University of parenthood. I feed the kids healthy meals to help them grown big and strong and so that they can learn healthy eatting habits. I also bathe the kids so they can be clean. I also do group activity with them so they can learn the importance of working well with other people. So they can be the best they can be as they get older.
I also work as a one woman maintenance crew. Where I graduated at the University of House Keeping. I clean kitchens, dinning rooms, living areas, bath rooms, and sleeping ares. I have to try and keep every area germ free.
My last job I work as is a personal assistant, I have to cook, answer phones, Make his plate of food, make him something to drink all day, rub his feet and back, run to town when ever he needs me to, give him baths, and do the "grown up stuff when ever he needs it" And rub his back till he falls asleep at night...

OK OK OK OK So I'm a sex slave, house wife, and a mother.......

LA_MERC_goose
June 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Well, Lady, you had my attention. I was fixing to start doing some searching for the wifey - until I saw the last line and realized you were pulling my leg - very nice!

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
June 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
LOL... I had to make it sound good. I didn't want to just come out and say I'm a wife and mother... hehehe lolol

[uGa] Saint
June 28th, 2004, 11:38 AM
you fooled me too, i was like, there's a University of parenthood?? Never heard of it, must be new or something, lol!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Domestic Engineering is the most difficult career choice that anyone could make.

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
June 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
whats domestic engineering?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
lol, Tonya you crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!! :whisperd:

LA_MERC_goose
June 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
House wife

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
June 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
oh... lol... I knew yall would get a kick out of my posts!!! lol...

Korr good to hear from you again!

eNdOfBeGinNinG
June 28th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Dragonlady']So I'm a sex slave Very interesting...

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM
yea that Dragon is one Sexy Beast :P

Silent_Killer
June 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
[C.O.P.S.]Dragonlady:So I'm a sex slave

EoB's responce:Very interesting...

Laurens responce to EoB: :slp

CajunTech
June 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Dragonlady']
My last job I work as is a personal assistant, I have to cook, answer phones, Make his plate of food, make him something to drink all day, rub his feet and back, run to town when ever he needs me to, give him baths, and do the "grown up stuff when ever he needs it" And rub his back till he falls asleep at night...

OK OK OK OK So I'm a sex slave, house wife, and a mother.......

So, are all the women in Pascagoula like this? I may have to move :)

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
June 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Umm No Not really.. All the girls here that I know of makes there kids and husbands do all the work... I guess Dragon is a lucky one!!!... lolol...

PS, I've only lived in pascagoula for 61/2 years... I'm originally from "George County"

Uther
June 28th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I'm a computer programmer for St. John the Baptist Parish Publisc Schools. I mostly handle all the mainframe issues which range form payroll, student data, salestax, and accounts payable. I've also been handling the web pages and also help support the network. Also answer a lot of user calls.

Biggest job is calling CajunTech to wake him up at his job.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==