PDA

View Full Version : Update Problem

Dresden
June 2nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
I've been trying to get on to CS, however when I click it in the games list the update screen comes up but doesn't update. Then it gives me the following steam error : "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

I've tried restarting steam. Rebooting my computer. Even tried deleting my ClientRegistry.blob file. Nothing is working. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Help,
Mike

Maximus
June 3rd, 2004, 03:28 AM
It doesn't like you...Learn to accept this and move on with your life! J/K! Have you tried reinstalling Steam? Usually that's the universal answer for problems like this...Try it and it just might work!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 3rd, 2004, 05:26 AM
That or log out and then back in...just because you restart doesn't mean you've logged out.

CajunTech
June 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Tanya was having the same problem. Kept trying to update with the latest patch and then gave her that error. She uninstalled and reinstalled steam and it worked fine.

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 3rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Dres I had that problem yesterday, as well and I finally noticed that for some reason my system clock was off, so it wouldn't update steam since my computer said it was Jan 2, 2002. :doh

Dresden
June 3rd, 2004, 01:14 PM
This is absolutely fantastic. I just LUV steam sooooo much

OK....Here's the deal. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled steam. Now when I try to even login to Steam it tells me "Could not connect to steam network." WTF!

CajunTech
June 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM
Boon..

That would make me think a connection problem, but since your posting I guess it isn't...

Dresden
June 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
Nope....my connection is definitly up and so is the steam network.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
June 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM
I had this problem as well. I think Goose did too. Try rebooting your Cable/DSL modem and router if you have one. Afterwards, reboot your computer.

I know, I know, this don't make sense, but humor me. :)

CajunTech
June 3rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
If you are having the problem of not being able to connect to the Steam network try this, it has helped a few people already:

1) Locate and move platform.gcf to the desktop (if it works you can delete the copy on the desktop)
2) restart Steam and let a new platform.gcf download
3) Try to play.

Thanks to w00ters for this possible fix.

*From forums at www.steampowered.com*

LA_MERC_goose
June 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
I ended up having to
1) log off Steam
2) reset the router
3) reset my cable modem
4) restart system
5) log back in Steam and was able to log in and play

Dresden
June 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
OK...I've tried all tht stuff and still status quo. I'm starting to know why they called it steam...

Steaming pile of.....er

CajunTech
June 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Only other thing i can suggest is uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
I've been trying to get on to CS, however when I click it in the games list the update screen comes up but doesn't update. Then it gives me the following steam error : "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

I've tried restarting steam. Rebooting my computer. Even tried deleting my ClientRegistry.blob file. Nothing is working. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Help,
Mike

If you are using any type of wireless device/router then remove it and connect your pc directly to your broadband device. More than likely, it is not detecting a Steam content server which could be 1 of a dozen or that Steam contect server that feeds your region is presently down.

You can normally check here to see the status of the Steam network.
http://steampowered.com/status/status.html

If you see it pegged then to many people are trying to download updates and it will just take time.

Dresden
June 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks Illegal...I have a new problem now though.

Earlier I tried reinstalling steam. Now I can't even log in. Tells me can not connect.

I think this is God's way of telling me I play too much.

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Hmmm I think I know what the problem is... it's sitting in front of your monitor. No? Ok then it because you live too far in da sticks.

Dresden
June 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Well...I think I may have found the problem....Besides me not installing XP yet.

I just looked and I don't have a winsock32.dll file.

I'll replace it and see if that makes a difference.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 6th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Its wsock32.dll and winsock.dll .. there is no such thing as a winsock32.dll

If you can get on the internet, you should be able to get on steam.

Uninstall steam, delete the steam folder from program files and then search your registry for any steam occurances and remove them then reinstall steam.

Dresden
June 6th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Uninstall steam, delete the steam folder from program files and then search your registry for any steam occurances and remove them then reinstall steam.No dice...

This is really starting to get to me... :shootme:

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 6th, 2004, 02:25 PM
It won't even connect to steam? Did you hook up your computer directly to your broadband modem and bypass all other devices? Does it ask you if you want to start it in offline mode? What file are you installing from? Do you have a router? Do you have specified ip addresses for your pc? Do you have a firewall? What exactly is your present setup?

Maximus
June 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM
How many licks does it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? What IS the meaning of life? Where does lip crud come from? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? j/k!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Do you ask yourself questions like these and many more? If you do, send $19.95 (via paypal) to [email protected] and we'll send you the book of answers to all these questions, and more!

(this is a joke...if you send money, you'll only get a thank you email)

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Well you won't be needing any Steam next week Mike. Good luck and hope everything goes ok.

Dresden
June 6th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Well you won't be needing any Steam next week Mike. Good luck and hope everything goes ok.Thanks man...I'm gonna go post something in Op Center right now then hit the sack.

Illegal...I think I've checked most of that stuff...I'm gonna stop by CajunTech's house and have him check it out one day. As Kreaper said....it won't matter for a while anyways. Thanks for all of you guys help though.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==