PDA

View Full Version : thinking about installing windows 2003

LA_MERC_Maverick
May 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM
hey guys, i busted my windows xp the other day (which is why i havent been around much lately) and i was wondering if anyone had installed windows 2003 server and had any problems with running applications, drivers, or games after installation. Just thought Id get some stuff to look out for before I installed it.

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I just installed in on an actual server here at work...no problem, then again, no games. No problems with apps though

LA_MERC_Drifter
May 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I don't know much about windows 2003 but if i may ask how the heck did you bust xp?
Just curious.

(on a side note i know a guy that knows a man that knows a fella that can get you a copy of xp. just in case) =)

LA_MERC_Maverick
May 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM
lol drifter, i also know a guy who knows several fellas who have access to certain files among which just happens to be xp, but fortunately i have a copy so i dont need one

***word to the wise***
be very careful when running stylexp, dont just download any ole login screen and expect it to work, as happened to me when i installed a login screen, rebooted and received an error "unable to parse ..." and wouldnt allow me to get to the login screen to get to windows. tried booting in safe mode, same error, tried running the windows repair from the cd, no longer receiving error message, but also no login screen.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 19th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Mav - you know I have in the past - see here: http://www.lamerc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7582&highlight=great+os

It's faster than XP, but a little more of a pain to get setup, especially getting it set up for for gaming...

Follow these articles: http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?...age=1&pagenum=1

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3655 and they will help you get it set up...

The neowin.net one is prolly the best - just make sure you do EVERYTHING it says to do - like make sure you optimize you memory and processor usage for a workstation rather than a server...stuff like that.

If you need help, call.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Or just install Linux and be done w/ it :)

Lt.Dan
May 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM
you are about the 6th person I have seen do that with style XP. Download "BootXPv2" it will make a copy of your "boot.ini" making it almost imposable to destroy your OS. It is a nice little program that lets you pick and chose your boot screens. I use it myself have had no problems with it.

LA_MERC_Maverick
May 19th, 2004, 09:49 PM
well, got it install and aside from a little bit of trouble when loading the audigy software, everything appears to be running fine, no errors and runs like a champ, we'll see how long it lasts though...lol

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 19th, 2004, 09:54 PM
oh - one more thing :)
you won't be able to install "regular" anti-virus software, i.e., nortons mcafee, etc...

see me or henry for what you need...

LA_MERC_RiverRat
May 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I would really like to demo this 2003 os that you all speak of...

LA_MERC_Maverick
May 19th, 2004, 10:45 PM
actually jayson i already had what i needed...LOL

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 19th, 2004, 10:48 PM
cool-that was just one thing I'd forgot about when you asked me...

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==