PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day...

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 7th, 2004, 07:22 AM
We've all heard the old saying "Life imitates art." Do you agree or diagree? Why?

Personally, I don't agree.

If anything, art imitates and pushes life. Let me give an example.

In 1898, years before the Wright brothers, and almost a half century before NASA, HG Wells wrote "War of the Worlds" (a story about Martians attacking the Earth). In it, he describes the flying machines that had traveled the distance through space.

Jules Verne wrote "From the Earth to the Moon" in 1865 and "20,000 leagues under the sea" in 1869.

LA_MERC_Diesel
May 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM
good examples there Scott,
I would tend to agree with you on those arguments as they were way before there time.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 7th, 2004, 07:40 AM
I'll reply when I'm at home and have more time to type - Good thread Scott!

roXet
May 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I'm confused...You say you think the saying isn't true, yet the examples you posted are examples that uphold the saying. The saying "life imitates art" means that people imagine and create stuff that is way ahead of current technology and social acceptance. Then, many times, you will find this very thing occurs in life on down the line. This is life imitating art.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 7th, 2004, 07:58 AM
In the original Startrek Catptin kirk use a flip type comunication device that looked like an older style flip cell phone to comunicate with his crew. this was back in the 70's when cell phones like this were not even a posiblilty.

Now we have flip style nextels that make what they had on StarTrek look out of date???

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
After reading the first post, I think your right Roxet.. It is kinda confusing, but I think i know where LA tech was going with the statment he made...

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 7th, 2004, 08:19 AM
I would have to agree with r0x. :)

I personally think that you may be taking Well's and Vernes' ideas out of context. I don't know for certain, but I would imagine that the schools of thought and arenas of discussions may have hit upon some of the ideas that inspired Wells' * Vernes'novels. At any rate, where's our time machine?!?!

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM
What I mean is simply this...the examples I gave were only examples of where someones work was transformed into reality (granted, over long periods of time). It takes true genius to think outside the box that the world puts around you. For those that have acheived this, later, usually after they have died, the thoughts they had are either proved or made into reality.

Heck, da Vinci had drawings of a helicopter WAY before one was ever built.

Or, take Star Trek (as was mentioned). Having a small square plastic object that stored information that was inserted into a computer was thought of LONG before a floppy disk was ever created.

Maybe I'm looking at this backwards...I don't know

roXet
May 7th, 2004, 09:42 AM
yeah, you are thinking backwards tech, you say you don't agree with it, but you keep defending the statement. =)

}{y|3ri|)
May 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM
here is a fun question,

Does art repeat itself? If we take notice to the history of man and technology, we will notice that there have always been improvements.. and we have noticed that there are trends i life that seem to repeat.. love war.. these things can be captured by art, but i dont think they influence them... I think life influences art.

Take for example movies, during war time there are always war movies, during a technological age like we have now there are always movies of robots with AI taking over the world... from area 51 to the big screen.. there are alot of times where we can see art in the form of movies blend with the current events.

i also think its too hard to take a direct link from media to technology... did someone who watched Star Trek deside to build cell phones that way?

ok you have to bear with me.. i have scatterd thought patterns today..

TruckGuy
May 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Tooooooo DEEP for me.

LA_MERC_Sabre
May 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM
this is a Travishamockery!!!!

Dresden
May 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Life DOES imitate art...

That's why I look like I was painted by Picaso

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 7th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Yeah but Picaso's' art didn't smell like bayou water.

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
LMAO doh Somebody order some rain to flush that smell out!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Still thinking....

BTW, when I DO post, it will be so deep that you ALL will need Life Preservers :)

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 7th, 2004, 09:07 PM
:rolleyes:

}{y|3ri|)
May 9th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Still thinking....

BTW, when I DO post, it will be so deep that you ALL will need Life Preservers :)

ohh god... tech close this thread and delete it before he blows his brain again...

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Life preservers? No...shovel and waders? probably...

:)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
It's coming - be patient :)

}{y|3ri|)
May 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
It's coming - be patient :)
why does this sound familiar?!? =-x

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==