PDA

View Full Version : 3M up and 384 Kb down ADSL service

LA_MERC_Diesel
April 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Just FYI,
me and Dirge just ordered our new Extreme ADSL service, its about $5 more per monthe but you get your cap reaised to 3M down and 384Kb up...
sounds neet, mine is supposed to set up on Wednesday.

In most cases anyone that currently has DSL through BellSouth ADSL should be able to get the new service.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
April 12th, 2004, 03:42 PM
just rub it in....

is there any info about that service on their website? I might have to make the switch. my Cox cable can be close to that sometimes, but it's very inconsistant. and lately I ping in the 100's on the server.

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 12th, 2004, 04:45 PM
go to www.fastaccess.com and look for the services. It's called Extreme DSL. And remember, unlike cable, DSL is an ATM type technology, which sends and takes packets from streams and no one person can hog the bandwidth :D (read: DSL is now on average FASTER than cable) :D

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Oh one other thing, it looks like the Extreme DSL also features a static ip.

LA_MERC_Onji
April 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM
its available? people were telling me, by the end of the year, sweet, its on

eNdOfBeGinNinG
April 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM
what if your phone company is run by monkies and cap your speed because they don't know otherwise? no thnx, me happy with adelphia.

LA_MERC_Onji
April 12th, 2004, 06:56 PM
woohoo ordered!!
Expected Order Completion Date: 04-14-2004

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM
what if your phone company is run by monkies and cap your speed because they don't know otherwise? no thnx, me happy with adelphia.

Well you can move back into BellSouth's territory, but if where you are is anything like BellSouth, there is a computer program that runs every night that resets all software caps back to the adequate level for which you are paying. That be because ATM connections ain't cheap!

roXet
April 12th, 2004, 08:22 PM
3Mb up and 384Kb down? I thinks you got it backwards....

oh yeah, my dsl is still faster than that. Go go CLEC power!!!

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 12th, 2004, 08:58 PM
r0x Diesel is looking at it from the isp point of view.. He's giving 3Mb up lol

LA_MERC_Sabre
April 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM

i wouldn't touch Adelphia cable with a ten foot you know what....them bastages almost ran my beloved Sabres into the ground. The CEO and his sons are going to jail, if they are not there already.

oh yeah, i might just switch back to dsl too. I had way better pings from dsl then i currently get from cable. was getting 30-40 pings w/ dsl...now getting 70-80 with cable. The only reason i don't have dsl now, well...they wanted 250 bucks to install. I was like "I can do it myself", they said it was against their policy. Since then, i think that they have changed their policy though.

}{y|3ri|)
April 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM
comcast cable pwns you..

LA_MERC_Temp
April 12th, 2004, 11:04 PM
i've got comcast too, and from the commercials "Comcast doubles the speed of your internet and u dont have to pay extra for it". i used to download at speeds up to 150 kbs or 175 kbs and got on it a few weeks ago and get close to 400 kbs, woot

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 13th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Okay little lesson for the noob impaired.

Traditional ADSL (Asymetric Digital Sunscriber Line) was offered at a tariffed rate of a maximum of 1.5 Mbps (thats bits, nt bytes, thats what transmission rates are in) downstream and 256 kbps upstream.

Cable Modems use node/distribution area technology that allowed users to download as high as 3 Mbps when their node was not in high use.

Basically cable could say they were twice as fast as ADSL for similar prices, but nodes with heavy usage and high numbers of users saw dramatically reduced rates as cable is a first come, first hog type of service.

ADSL on the other hand is an ATM like service which sends and receives users packets in a constant running stream which allows no one individual to hog bandwidth. In fact ADSL is designed with a user concentration rate in the high teens to low 20's (capacity available as a percentage of all total users per feeder facilities to an area). Now that ADSL has leaped the technology hurdle and is seeing speeds as high as cable modem, there is no doubt that ADSL is the better service. If you hvae any doubt, search the internet for testimonies of angry cable users whose nodes have become saturated. In fact, if you go to dslreports you can read about some. You can also read about some of the new ADSL's that are creeping out in other oarts of the country. I saw one yesterday in CA which was a 8 Mbps service. There are some very big things coming for ADSL which include longer reach for all you boonies types.

Just keeping ya informed!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
April 13th, 2004, 07:08 AM
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
:bow :bow :bow :bow

CajunTech
April 13th, 2004, 07:22 AM
I moved out to the boonies and unfortunately I can't get DSL. On the bright side, I get awesome speeds with cable since I'm the only one in the immediate area that actually uses a computer.

LA_MERC_Drifter
April 13th, 2004, 07:42 AM
There are some very big things coming for ADSL which include longer reach for all you boonies types.

Man I can't wait for the day they do get it to all of us boonie types. WOOT!!!

}{y|3ri|)
April 13th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Okay little lesson for the noob impaired.

Traditional ADSL (Asymetric Digital Sunscriber Line) was offered at a tariffed rate of a maximum of 1.5 Mbps (thats bits, nt bytes, thats what transmission rates are in) downstream and 256 kbps upstream.

Cable Modems use node/distribution area technology that allowed users to download as high as 3 Mbps when their node was not in high use.

Basically cable could say they were twice as fast as ADSL for similar prices, but nodes with heavy usage and high numbers of users saw dramatically reduced rates as cable is a first come, first hog type of service.

ADSL on the other hand is an ATM like service which sends and receives users packets in a constant running stream which allows no one individual to hog bandwidth. In fact ADSL is designed with a user concentration rate in the high teens to low 20's (capacity available as a percentage of all total users per feeder facilities to an area). Now that ADSL has leaped the technology hurdle and is seeing speeds as high as cable modem, there is no doubt that ADSL is the better service. If you hvae any doubt, search the internet for testimonies of angry cable users whose nodes have become saturated. In fact, if you go to dslreports you can read about some. You can also read about some of the new ADSL's that are creeping out in other oarts of the country. I saw one yesterday in CA which was a 8 Mbps service. There are some very big things coming for ADSL which include longer reach for all you boonies types.

:violin

blah blah blah im the one who hogs it all so ;p

AND DONT EDIT MY POST BOON!

LA_MERC_Temp
April 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
well, i live in mississippi. alot of people here dont have computers and those that do dont use the internet enough to get cable. So i figure i'll be good for at least another 5 years.

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
April 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I give up on trying to get DSL with Bell Shouth. Almost 7 years here and still can't get the crap. Been on a waiting list for about 6 years. People a Block away has it but we don't!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Bet the still can't reach me Dirge, I live a few hun'erd mile byon dem boonays.

LA_MERC_Heater
April 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Ordered it and like a kid in a candy store...Can`t Wait! :gollum: :nade1: :youdaman:

LA_MERC_Diesel
April 14th, 2004, 07:10 AM
doh, stupid brain....
checked this morning and everything was screaming...w00t!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 14th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Diesel, you should be able to get the hook up, increase that upload rate.. hehe

roXet
April 14th, 2004, 07:25 AM
yeah, the hook up rocks. =)

my dsl is opened up as fast as my loop length will let it go.

Hey Diesel and Dirge, is Bell's new Extreme dsl service still traditional ADSL or are they using some of the newer ADSL2/2+ to garuantaree those speeds?

LA_MERC_Diesel
April 14th, 2004, 07:31 AM
no roX that isn't out just yet, that will be the 12Mb d/l speed range for some.
this is just the DSG opening up the 6Mb d/l ADSL pipe a little more.
since many of our RT's(little central offices in the field) are fiber fed and most DSLAM's are turned up on DS3's now, they have the bandwith to open the ports a little more.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
June 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Mike, do you know if Bellsouth is still offering this service? I finally got the Okay for it, and went ot the website to place the order....only this choice was no longer there.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Still offered. What's your phone number? We can check to make sure you are qualified.

LA_MERC_Onji
June 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Yeah, if you go here you can see they still offer it:

http://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/products.jsp

roXet
June 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I get 10Mb on traditional ADSL, the remote is almost exctally a mile from my house

Swedish
June 10th, 2004, 01:55 PM
anyone know a west coast company that has the same kinda deal?

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
It would be Qwest as the big Bell company in the west, but I do not know for your area call your local provider and ask Swedish

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
June 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM
thanks guys, I was going to bellsouth.net and going to internet service, DSL. they only showed DSL lite and DSL fast (or regular)

Potential Threat
June 11th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Did'nt read the other posts, just the topic. They are moving internet to power lines now...or at least they are experimenting with it. This will cause the internet to move much more faster then it is currently. Forgot the detals but the internet (Actual internet not your speed) moves somewhere in the 100-300k's maby? and it is supost to increase it by like 200-400k er something liket that. Toby may have to backme up/correct me on this.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==